Pelicans Report

View Poll Results: Do you want Rivers to be 6th man or starting PG of the future?

Voters
34. You may not vote on this poll
  • Rivers will become a quality starting PG

18 52.94%
  • Rivers is best used as a combo guard and spark off the bench

16 47.06%

Thread: Rivers: starting PG or 6th man?

Rivers: starting PG or 6th man?

Was discussed quite heavily once the pick was made. Now we've had a chance to see him play a little, show bits a pieces of what he can really do and make rookie mistakes (of course) what do you want Austin's future here to be?

Starting PG to me as long as Gordon is healthy. With Davis, Anderson, and Gordon in the lineup, the team wouldn't ask too much from Rivers and he would play solidly offensively and defensively. His quick feet makes him ok at the point.

Emeka Okafor - Joe Smith - Carmelo Anthony - Manu Ginobili - Jason Williams

Al Jefferson - James Posey - Aaron McKie - Shaun Livingston

Yea I'm really torn on this one. If Rivers is the future at PG we can maybe package Vasquez and something of value to add another high quality piece.

But the idea of Rivers being the teams Manu/Harden(Thunder) is also intriguing, seems a lot of successful teams have that instant offense guard off the bench. But then again... Who could stop a Rivers / Gordon backcourt getting into the lane?

If Rivers is used as a "6th man" ala Ginobili/Harden, then I'm totally fine with it. He can create for himself and for others, so it would suit him well. So long as he gets 30-35 minutes per game, it really doesn't matter whether he starts or not. It's more about balance of assets. You put Rivers, Gordon, Anderson, and Davis on the floor together at all times, and they won't be able to maximize their talents because all 4 command the ball. Start the game with Gordon and Davis, and bring Rivers and Anderson off the bench. That would allow both "sets" to take over their respective units, and there will also be spurts where they play on the court together as well.

The main point is that, as long as all 4 of those guys average 30-35 minutes a game, it doesn't matter who starts.

i am a huge vasques fan but the more iw atch rivers the more i love. He is making beautiful passes and he is only 20, and he's been shooting like 50% from 3 over the last 3 or 4 games and his layups will start to fall and he gets to the FT line at will, most rookies dont get foul calls but he will in a couple years, This guy had better freshmen numbers at duke than lillard had at weber. I think Rivers will be a good combo PG like an allen iverson/wesbrook type but way less selfish and smarter.

I love Vasques, think he's incredible but we won't be competing for about 3 years just like it took the thunder, when they landed durant they were still terrible, it takes time. I think while Vasques has extremely high trade value we trade him for a young stud w tons of potential or another draft pick

[/SUP]
    Quote Originally Posted by nolaslim213 View Post
    If Rivers is used as a "6th man" ala Ginobili/Harden, then I'm totally fine with it. He can create for himself and for others, so it would suit him well. So long as he gets 30-35 minutes per game, it really doesn't matter whether he starts or not. It's more about balance of assets. You put Rivers, Gordon, Anderson, and Davis on the floor together at all times, and they won't be able to maximize their talents because all 4 command the ball. Start the game with Gordon and Davis, and bring Rivers and Anderson off the bench. That would allow both "sets" to take over their respective units, and there will also be spurts where they play on the court together as well.

The main point is that, as long as all 4 of those guys average 30-35 minutes a game, it doesn't matter who starts.
    this

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    I've yet to see Rivers get lots of minutes running the point anyway. I think he'd be effective, but I wonder why he rarely brings the ball up. He's run the pick and roll best out of anyone on the team cuz the threat of him attacking the basket is an actual threat. Vasquez can float 'em in but he's not going to get to the FT line with regularity.

Rivers: starting PG or 6th man?

I think PG because from what I've seen so far in, he has more success and creates better with the ball in his hand rather than off the ball.

Max Contract Contributor AD23forMVP's Avatar
    Honestly, I was right in my beliefs that Rivers would struggle this year. I said he would average 7 points per and he's at 7.4 ppg.

But I was totally wrong in the type of player he is.

I told yall. Before you guys was are like he can't be a PG. But now that you've seen him play, you know that there's a possibility he can be one
    Ballin

Rivers has a giant ceiling, already making some very nice passes off the dribble. Dude is only 20, high BBIQ, great work ethic.

Massive scope for continued improvement.

Quote Originally Posted by nolaslim213 View Post

This too!

I'm fine either way. Like...well all of us, I'm astounded at how drastically he's changed his playing style in just a few short months. We know he can create, get into the lane (those layups will start falling with NBA experience, and he does so well getting to the rim), and shoot. That's the guy we drafted.

But lord the kid can pass, facilitate, and play D at a much higher level than I expected at this point. That's what I thought would have to come to him. This just shows how great of a coach Monty is, and how good he is at getting the most from his players.

Personally, I'd like to see him have the starting PG role in time. In a few years a Rivers, Gordon, Davis, Aminu, Lopez starting 5 has the potential to be sick. Provided Gordon is healthy, and others develop the way it looks like they can. A Greivas - Anderson - Miller off the bench would also be awesome.

Though admittedly this is as optimistic as it gets. Maybe I trust Monty too much or something.

Thread Information