Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Is it time to tank again?

Is it time to tank again?

One more top 3 pick could make this team a serious championship contender for years to come.
    Not going to make any noise this season.
    So we might as well lose 60 instead of 48.

Banned
    No I don't believe in losing games on purpose.

Again?? When was the first time?
    New Orleans Pelicans-Seattle Seahawks-Atlanta Braves-Anaheim Ducks

RIP HunnyB

This fits HunnyB/FlyGirl so well- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IyzTiSEfM00

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Trell's Avatar
    Omg some lf these threads are worthless. We are playing fairly good saying that we are playing monster teams without our best players. No! No tank, we are not going to lose. Heck do some of yall like cheering for your team to lose?

I really want that first pick again. TEMPTATION. Rivers jack up as many shots you want!!!
    Ballin

Quote Originally Posted by Trell View Post
    Omg some lf these threads are worthless. We are playing fairly good saying that we are playing monster teams without our best players. No! No tank, we are not going to lose. Heck do some of yall like cheering for your team to lose?
    I dont enjoy it, but I did it last season and it got us Davis.
    Why not have one more miserable season in exchange for perhaps 10 years of greatness.

If David Robinson would not have missed the entire season like he did that year the San Antonio Spurs would have just been another losing franchise in a small market just like the other losing teams in small markets.

Tanking = losing on purpose

This team loses because it is less talented than their opponents 75-80% of the time. Huge difference. No, I do not want us to lose on purpose, but I also do not want to add talent that will make us marginally better for the short term, thereby getting us the 12th pick instead of the 7th (or better). Keep playing these young guys, develop them and let the chips fall where they may. Don't lose on purpose, just fall short because you are less talented
    @mcnamara247

But what if the player that you tank for turns out to be poo? let's just be patient. Gordon Davis and Rivers will be good together just give them time

Lol 9 games in chill out.

No, even the subtle implication that it's OK to not give your all and lose can have a poisonous affect on a teams culture. Without our two best players we will lose even trying our hearts out.

I mean Ryan Anderson, Grieves Vasquez and Austin Rivers are your first three scoring options isn't NBA standard.

Banned
    I dont see how an organization can tell it's players to go out there and lose to bring in a player unless he is of Lebron status. Even then, who wants to just flat out lose?

Quote Originally Posted by chopp View Post
    I dont enjoy it, but I did it last season and it got us Davis.
    Why not have one more miserable season in exchange for perhaps 10 years of greatness.

If David Robinson would not have missed the entire season like he did that year the San Antonio Spurs would have just been another losing franchise in a small market just like the other losing teams in small markets.
    They did not tank. They lost there best player and was less talented. Cheering for OUR Hornets to lose make us weak fans!

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    Tanking = losing on purpose

This team loses because it is less talented than their opponents 75-80% of the time. Huge difference. No, I do not want us to lose on purpose, but I also do not want to add talent that will make us marginally better for the short term, thereby getting us the 12th pick instead of the 7th (or better). Keep playing these young guys, develop them and let the chips fall where they may. Don't lose on purpose, just fall short because you are less talented
    we dont tank by losing the games on purpose with the guys we go to battle with...but we tank by being "extra" cautious and holding guys out..we did it last yr, will we do it again this yr??

Quote Originally Posted by NO_Bound View Post
    I dont see how an organization can tell it's players to go out there and lose to bring in a player unless he is of Lebron status. Even then, who wants to just flat out lose?
    we dont tell him them to lose...we just be extra cautious with injuries...last yr was a joke with us being holding guys out who probably could have played

btw, this draft is weak so if we end up with a pick outside the top 3 then I am in favor of trading it

I said it before, and I am still saying it:

Even with a healthy Gordon and Davis this is a mid to late lottery team. We are not an 8th seed even on our best day. Why people keep thinking that is crazy. We are young. We have not gelled. We have no scorers on this team outside of one injured guy.

This doesn't mean we will never be good. If we get a 5-8 spot lotto pick (which I imagine won't be hard) we will get another key piece to a championship team. This years draft if center heavy, so we get out twin tower to put next to Davis. Give that guy a year with our young crew, and by his second, and Davis and Rivers 3rd year we will have a top 3 or 4 (in the conference) team. The following year we will be top 3 or 4 in the league.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    I said it before, and I am still saying it:

Even with a healthy Gordon and Davis this is a mid to late lottery team. We are not an 8th seed even on our best day. Why people keep thinking that is crazy. We are young. We have not gelled. We have no scorers on this team outside of one injured guy.

This doesn't mean we will never be good. If we get a 5-8 spot lotto pick (which I imagine won't be hard) we will get another key piece to a championship team. This years draft if center heavy, so we get out twin tower to put next to Davis. Give that guy a year with our young crew, and by his second, and Davis and Rivers 3rd year we will have a top 3 or 4 (in the conference) team. The following year we will be top 3 or 4 in the league.
    bull****.. with everyone healthy were not a lottery team

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by CP4MVP View Post
    we dont tell him them to lose...we just be extra cautious with injuries...last yr was a joke with us being holding guys out who probably could have played
    We are fans, therefore we are on the outside of the loop. You say we are tanking by being cautious. How does this progress us to become a championship caliber team? Players aren't playing, at what point does it stop if we look at it your way? When do we play at our full potential?

Quote Originally Posted by bojangles837 View Post
    bull****.. with everyone healthy were not a lottery team
    Couldnt agree more! Cant get into details whh because im on Xbox live.

We need a top 5-7 pick in the draft this year.

/Smith/Lopez
    Davis /Anderson
    /Aminu/Miller
    Gordon/Rivers
    /Vasquez

We need a starting 5,3,1. This draft is loaded at the C position. Zeller, Noel, Gobert, Len all have a chance to be big time players.
    Brandon Jennings and Eric Bledsoe are available FAs to takeover at PG this summer. Monty and Dell have said it before and I'll say it again next year is when you'll really see this team come togather.

OKC path:
    Year 1: Draft Durant and Green, take your hits and get a top 4 pick
    Year 2: Draft Westbrook, Ibaka challenge for the playoffs
    year 3: Make everyone take notice, grab lower seed and make playoffs
    year 4: compete for title

This team doesn't need to tank. It's a bad team as it is.

Emeka Okafor - Joe Smith - Carmelo Anthony - Manu Ginobili - Jason Williams

Al Jefferson - James Posey - Aaron McKie - Shaun Livingston

I want Noel!

If its bull explain why. We are too young and crazy to be good this year. We aren't even where Minny was last year, and this year the west is deeper, and we don't have the team they had last year. You guys thinking we are playoff bound are also the ones that thought Aminu was going to play every night like he did those first 3 games.

Nope. We are mid lottery at worst 10-12 pick at best. And there is no shame in that.

Eric Gordon will come back the last month to try to prevent us from getting the #1 pick again.

Several high draft picks has really helped OKC.
    If winning 15 games total this season will help us become OKC in a few seasons, im all for it.

Thread Information