Pelicans Report

Thread: TrueHoop TV: How We See Austin Rivers

TrueHoop TV: How We See Austin Rivers

Amin Elhassan has a fascinating discussion of Austin Rivers' game. A lot of people say things about Rivers related to his dad, as if being the son of Doc Rivers would make Austin better at things like defense, moving the ball or picking good shots. Elhassan has been watching the younger Rivers since high school and says that's simply not how Austin has ever played.

Thoughts?

Link

Max Contract Contributor AD23forMVP's Avatar
    Has he really watched Austin with the Hornets? Because I have not gotten the idea that he's a player that is preoccupied with getting his offense first.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    In fact, I'd say Austin is trying so hard to not be seen as a ballhog he's not letting the game come to him.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! wuggie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    In fact, I'd say Austin is trying so hard to not be seen as a ballhog he's not letting the game come to him.
    Yup. Pretty much.

R.I.P. to HunnyB/FlyGirl

Yeah, this guy's a joke

Quote Originally Posted by CP3forMVP View Post
    Has he really watched Austin with the Hornets? Because I have not gotten the idea that he's a player that is preoccupied with getting his offense first.
    Herd mentality - you know how the national media is. They take a quick look at Rivers stats, see a lack of offensive production, and figure that he isn't doing well because he is playing selfishly. That just isn't the case at all, and if this idiot reporter would actually do some research like they did back in the day, he would see that Rivers is totally committed on defense and he is actually passing up his own open looks in favor of his teammates. Now, just because he is committed doesn't mean he is thriving, but he is learning and progressing, and that is the most important thing.

I said it when we drafted him, and I'll say it again - Rivers will take some time to adjust to the NBA. If he wanted, he could go out and score 15/game right now, but he is trying to do things the right way. Play defense, get your teammates involved, run the offense, etc... Monty is making sure is a complete player instead of just another young scorer who can't give you anything else *cough* Marcus Thornton *cough*. The important thing is that Rivers is accepting the challenge, and he'll be a much better player because of it. I'm excited to watch his growth this year.

Yah clearly this guy probably watched 10 minutes of one game because if anything I wish Austin was more aggressive. He is always passing up shots and seems scared to let loose and play his game.

Quote Originally Posted by nolaslim213 View Post
    Herd mentality - you know how the national media is. They take a quick look at Rivers stats, see a lack of offensive production, and figure that he isn't doing well because he is playing selfishly. That just isn't the case at all, and if this idiot reporter would actually do some research like they did back in the day, he would see that Rivers is totally committed on defense and he is actually passing up his own open looks in favor of his teammates. Now, just because he is committed doesn't mean he is thriving, but he is learning and progressing, and that is the most important thing.

I said it when we drafted him, and I'll say it again - Rivers will take some time to adjust to the NBA. If he wanted, he could go out and score 15/game right now, but he is trying to do things the right way. Play defense, get your teammates involved, run the offense, etc... Monty is making sure is a complete player instead of just another young scorer who can't give you anything else *cough* Marcus Thornton *cough*. The important thing is that Rivers is accepting the challenge, and he'll be a much better player because of it. I'm excited to watch his growth this year.
    That is the key word. Especially when it comes to rookies.

TrueHoop TV: How We See Austin Rivers

I think it's a wee bit early for the guy to start giving him the bust grade or not. We're only 8 games into his rookie season, plenty of time for mental growth and improvement.

The kid is averaging 7 FGAs in 28.5 minutes. One of the lowest per minute attempts in the draft. Not sure what the Elhassan is seeing there.

I think this Amin guy hasn't watched Austin play with the Hornets. Everything said was EXACTLY RIGHT about Austin in high school and college but it's just lazy journalism because if he actually had watched Austin play he would've seen Austin has slowly been changing his game.

Rasheed is back and he's brought his "Ball Don't Lie" back with him.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ba...3914--nba.html

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    this

Thread Information