Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Alec Burks available

Band of Skulls & Neon Trees ramsters60's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by da ThRONe View Post
    I'm pro Burks. If we can put together a package to trade I would think it would help us.
    I agree with you on this...I think he might be a good fit here
    "we might make dollars, but we don't necessarily make sense"

"always be sincere....whether you mean it or not"

Quote Originally Posted by hornetstime247 View Post
    1st rounder (lottery protected next 3 years) + Henry??

Dominique Jones is also looking alright for Dallas right now, he could probably be had for cheap.

We need to add speed and athleticism at the wing position!
    Is that a joke? There is no way in the world I would give up a 1st rounder for a guy that Utah has given up on as a bust.

Quote Originally Posted by nolaslim213 View Post
    Burks shot 64% from 3 during summer league this year (0.9-1.4). I think he has been working hard on his 3-point shot.
    Summer league really does not translate into the regular season as has been proven on many occasions.

Quote Originally Posted by HORNETSFAN View Post
    Summer league really does not translate into the regular season as has been proven on many occasions.
    Depends on what we're talking about here. Most things don't translate from the summer league to the NBA, but shooting should translate very well. If you can hit an open 3, you can hit an open 3. Doesn't matter what level of competition you are playing against. It's not like we're talking about him crossing guys over and dunking on fools. Not everything is absolute.

Band of Skulls & Neon Trees ramsters60's Avatar
    he hasn't had oodles of playing time, but there is enough video to see that he does have some talent....

Is he a combo guard?
    He is listed as a SG and a PG....which is he?

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AUSSIE_HORNET View Post
    Is he a combo guard?
    He is listed as a SG and a PG....which is he?
    It's often a misnomer, combo guard. I think combo guard applies to guys that aren't tall enough to play SG and guard most players of that height, but their games are pretty much identical to a SG. An offensive SG with PG size. I don't like the use when its an unquestioned SG with PG skills that doesn't shoot as well.

I'd say Burks is truly a SG, but he has two hands, can drive either way (in fact, I believe there was a college stat somewhere that he drives left more than right) and is a very willing passer.

Edit: Here's a scouting vid. Outlines Burks' strengths and weaknesses as they stood when he was coming out of Colorado.

http://www.draftexpress.com/article/...reakdown-3692/
    Last edited by Eman5805; 11-19-2012 at 07:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by nolaslim213 View Post
    Depends on what we're talking about here. Most things don't translate from the summer league to the NBA, but shooting should translate very well. If you can hit an open 3, you can hit an open 3. Doesn't matter what level of competition you are playing against. It's not like we're talking about him crossing guys over and dunking on fools. Not everything is absolute.
    Certainly the level of competition matters. Shooting/scoring is one thing that does not always translate (see Belinelli). He is not going to get uncontested looks ala streetball in the NBA. Shots are contested much more against true NBA defenses as opposed to the roster fillers that play in the summer league.

Thread Information