Pelicans Report

Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 3 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast

Thread: Gameday Thread: Thunder @ Hornets

Quote Originally Posted by hornetstime247 View Post
    when is Gordon back?? hahaha

He is not coming thru that door.

anderson has to play more, lopez has to play less

Jim Eichenhofer ‏@Jim_Eichenhofer
    Monty Williams succinctly wrapping up one-sided loss to Oklahoma City: "They kicked our butts. They're a really good team."

Monty on a few minor altercations between NOLA and OKC: "There were some miscommunications. Sometimes you do goofy things when you compete."

Monty on Thunder's performance and status in NBA: "This is what we want to accomplish someday. We've got to get to that level."

Kevin Durant on OKC's 1st quarter: "We wanted to start the game better on the road. We brought intensity and just fed off of each other."

R.Mason: "We didn't make (OKC) feel uncomfortable. We have to play a nasty game. We're very disappointed we didn't play Hornets basketball"

Max Contract Contributor AD23forMVP's Avatar
    Our defensive rotations (especially to the corner and wings) have really sucked the past two games. Even when guys like Martin and Durant were hitting their shots tonight we still were leaving them open.

Austin Rivers won't amount to anything in the NBA if he doesn't work and develop a mid range game. All of the skill he has getting to the rim is basically negated because teams know he can't (and won't) pull up.

Anthony Davis needs to be more assertive offensively. And that goes for him and his teammates. He seems to be a after thought at times. He also needs to learn how to jump stop and get guys up in the air or out of position. He has a few wild attempts every game because he hasn't done this consistently. Luckily sometimes he still converts. Same goes for his post game. He relies on his athleticism too much. He's a rook though, he'll get it, probably before the end of the season.

Russell Westbrook is a weird fella.

Well...Lost the game in the second quarter last night..lost one in the first quarter tonight. Perhaps tomorrow we'll get it together?
    Some of the missed rebounds were p***ing me off. You don't play a team as good as the thunder, force them to take a bad shot, then watch the **** ball hit the ground!!!!!!?!?! Man it was making me angry. They (the thunder) would take a turrible shot and because we don't get the rebound it gets back to DURANT and he kills ya.
    RABBLE RABBLE

As Gerry V always said "The game is won while the ball is in the air". I think it applies to this game more then any game in recent memory.
    Last edited by WhoDatPelican; 11-16-2012 at 11:20 PM.

And that is why we are still a long way out from being Play Off worthy
    New Orleans Pelicans-Seattle Seahawks-Atlanta Braves-Anaheim Ducks

RIP HunnyB

This fits HunnyB/FlyGirl so well- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IyzTiSEfM00

Forgot to mention for all the attendance watchers this was by far the most packed game so far this year.
    Still not playoff or (unfortunately) a Lakers game packed but wasn't bad imo.
    Lots of cheering for Durant around me. Bandwagoners...Don't get me wrong i like K.D. as a player just not when he plays the Hornets.

Next home game it'll probably be the Carmelo fans. Or heck even Rasheed Wallace might still have some fans. LOL.

I took my 3 year old son to his first Hornets game tonight.

Best game I have been to.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Great Brian roberts has outscored our number 1 pick two games in a row..
    Sick of Anthony Davis not doing anything on the floor besides taking the worst shots of the night.

Quote Originally Posted by Pantazis76 View Post
    Great Brian roberts has outscored our number 1 pick two games in a row..
    Sick of Anthony Davis not doing anything on the floor besides taking the worst shots of the night.
    Yeah, no rebounding or blocking or anything. Who balled out for the Hornets tonight? Who had a game worth talking about? Anderson had a good game. Our center had 1 or 2 rebounds. Was Davis supposed to grab rebounds for Lopez? Aminu hasn't been the Aminu we saw in the first 3 games.

I thought Davis did well considering he was playing down low against Perkins, Ibaka, and Collison... a few guys who have been around the block.

Ebb and flow. After 3 solid games people were looking to give Aminu whatever he wanted. Give it time. We aren't even 10% of the season in.

And I am still happy when The Brow gives us 11 boards and 2 blocks.

I think at one point in the 3rd quarter i looked up at the jumbotron and couldn't believe, NONE of our starters were in double digits yet. In my best Barkley impression, "I'm sorry man, that's just turrible"

oh and I HATE Kevin Martin that man has the second ugliest shot in the NBA. Second only to Shawn Marion. RABBLE RABBLE
    Last edited by WhoDatPelican; 11-17-2012 at 12:25 AM.

Max Contract Contributor AD23forMVP's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HunnyB View Post
    Yeah, no rebounding or blocking or anything. Who balled out for the Hornets tonight? Who had a game worth talking about? Anderson had a good game. Our center had 1 or 2 rebounds. Was Davis supposed to grab rebounds for Lopez? Aminu hasn't been the Aminu we saw in the first 3 games.
    I wonder when was the last time both starting centers in a game grabbed a combined three rebounds? Pretty bad lol

We have to defend the deep ball better. Houston and OKC went on a rampage behind the arc. Both games ended in the second quarter once OKC/Houston caught fire behind the arc. Houston with 6 3s in the second quarter last night and OKC with 5 threes in the second quarter and 5 in the 3rd quarter tonight.

The problem is clearly perimeter defense. We are getting torched due to our poor rotations and poor perimeter defense. We are in for a long year if we can't find a way to defend better.

Quote Originally Posted by CP3forMVP View Post
    I wonder when was the last time both starting centers in a game grabbed a combined three rebounds? Pretty bad lol
    I'm not surprised at Perkins though. That dude seems to only get paid for mean muggin and picking fights. You made me go look at the boxscore because I had no idea he had 1 rebound. Like someone pointed out earlier in the thread, Lopez finished with 2 rebounds in 28 minutes and Thomas had 4 rebs in 8 minutes. Not gonna cut it. I know people want Davis to cut up every night but he's not. He's good but he's got stuff to learn too.

I hate our offence... Our only play is lopez sets a screen for vasquez that doesnt do anything..
    Davis was horrible defensively tonight.. Ibaka was all over him and he kept losing Durant all day.
    He did well on rebouding, but on the offensive end.. he got blocked by perkins and took more shots past 15 feet then anything else.. argh

Quote Originally Posted by Pantazis76 View Post
    I hate our offence... Our only play is lopez sets a screen for vasquez that doesnt do anything..
    Davis was horrible defensively tonight.. Ibaka was all over him and he kept losing Durant all day.
    He did well on rebouding, but on the offensive end.. he got blocked by perkins and took more shots past 15 feet then anything else.. argh
    That's another thing we were talking about in the thread. The offense is terrible. I said we need an offense coach on the bench because Monty is so stuck on defense it's like offense isn't a priority but then someone pointed out the offense coach wouldn't have anything to work with (as far as working with our guards).

Offense will be ugly until someone emerge as the go-to scorer or when Gordon returns. The latter is more likely than the former. It's hard to create offense when you don't have a threat to break down defenses. When Vasquez is forced to play against an athletic teams, he's going to be neutralized more often than not. And when Vasquez isn't effective, we don't have really have a reliable go-to option. It's just a deficiency that we'll have to live with until Gordon returns.

Quote Originally Posted by Nola Hornet View Post
    Offense will be ugly until someone emerge as the go-to scorer or when Gordon returns. The latter is more likely than the former. It's hard to create offense when you don't have a threat to break down defenses. When Vasquez is forced to play against an athletic teams, he's going to be neutralized more often than not. And when Vasquez isn't effective, we don't have really have a reliable go-to option. It's just a deficiency that we'll have to live with until Gordon returns.
    Well early in the game Rivers was not running to help GV on offense when pressure was being applied.
    They started to work together more on it in the second half.
    I did notice it seems like if Rivers has the ball we'll screen/pick with AD but when GV had the ball it was Lopez in the same roll.
    Also don't like AD catching the ball near the 3 point line. He needs to get better position then that.
    Aminu needs to stop shooting....stick to attacking the basket.

Quote Originally Posted by CP3forMVP View Post
    Our defensive rotations (especially to the corner and wings) have really sucked the past two games. Even when guys like Martin and Durant were hitting their shots tonight we still were leaving them open.
    I noticed that they seem to not care if a guy is a great shooter or is red hot. They play all perimeter players the same. They'll rotate to help towards a penetrator in the paint and leave these people WIDE open. I'm watching Aminu leave Durant all alone to help through my bleeding eyes in disbelief.

There are certain shooters you need to stay within at least an arms length and the Hornets do not do that. However, you notice teams like the 76ers, Rockets, and Thunder wouldn't let Anderson out of their sights no matter what. He still made tough shots with that quick release but rarely does he get those open looks like Rockets and Thunder players did.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    I noticed that they seem to not care if a guy is a great shooter or is red hot. They play all perimeter players the same. They'll rotate to help towards a penetrator in the paint and leave these people WIDE open. I'm watching Aminu leave Durant all alone to help through my bleeding eyes in disbelief.

There are certain shooters you need to stay within at least an arms length and the Hornets do not do that. However, you notice teams like the 76ers, Rockets, and Thunder wouldn't let Anderson out of their sights no matter what. He still made tough shots with that quick release but rarely does he get those open looks like Rockets and Thunder players did.
    That's right. It's like they are taught in practice to not worry about shooters. I guess Monty thinks the shooters will eventually miss.

I mean going into the game they should've been told to stick to Martin like glue. How could they not know that guy is in there to do one thing? To shoot the ball.

That's right. It's like they are taught in practice to not worry about shooters. I guess Monty thinks the shooters will eventually miss.

I mean going into the game they should've been told to stick to Martin like glue. How could they not know that guy is in there to do one thing? To shoot the ball.
    Sad but true. I trust Monty will get it right though. They are young it'll come around. I was encouraged that even as bad as it got they kept playing hard.
    Even on contested shots the duo of Kevins (martin/durant) were on fire tonight. It was dumb

Thread Information