.
Pelicans Report
 
Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: The hardest game of Vasquez career

  1. #1

    The hardest game of Vasquez career

    When you think about it this game had all the ingredients to become the hardest game Vasquez had played yet.

    -We were playing against a 6 wins in row Celtics

    -He had to face Rondo and Bradley, and without Gordon they could both put pressure on him.

    -He was not 100% physically (he had a cold)

    -This was the second of a back to back game, and he played 36 min the day before.

    Sure enough, all this combined affected him, and he missed a lot of shots, and had 6 TOs. Nevertheless, the way he adjusted in the second half, and started penetrating despite Bradley s defense, the fact that he kept pushing the offense, and running the floor all the way to the end, and the fact that even in a bad night and against all odds he had 15 points, 11 rebounds played 40 min and we won the game by 12 points makes me think that he may be able to overcome his limitations and become a middle of the pack starting PG in the NBA

  2. #2
    GV might be our best player

  3. #3
    NOLA Sports Addict Smow-'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Southern Louisiana
    Posts
    691
    Quote Originally Posted by HornetGuru View Post
    GV might be our best player
    I think you might want to pump the breaks just a tad bit there. Without him tho we lose way more games are aren't even in half of the ones we do lose. I'll give him those props.
    Monty, Dell, and Benson: OUR big 3!

  4. #4
    R.I.P Aussie_Hornet AUSSIE_PELICAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    2,706
    Might I remind you, some of you on this board wanted to trade Vasquez early on in his career when coming from Memphis.
    He is learning and is adjusting fast this season. He has been our MVP so far.

    The same thing with Rivers.
    He needs to learn and adjust and WILL do in time.
    So let's sit back and enjoy this team while they are young.
    Eventually we will have high expetations for this team to succeed, then we can pick at their faults.

    I am glad I had the faith in GV.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by HornetGuru View Post
    GV might be our best player
    This is how I'd put it:

    1) Gordon
    2) Anderson
    3) Davis
    4) Lopez
    5) Vasquez
    6) Aminu
    7) JSmith

  6. #6
    R.I.P Aussie_Hornet AUSSIE_PELICAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    2,706
    Quote Originally Posted by nolaslim213 View Post
    This is how I'd put it:

    1) Gordon
    2) Anderson
    3) Davis
    4) Lopez
    5) Vasquez
    6) Aminu
    7) JSmith
    On paper or per the teams importance?

    No way Lopez is a better player or is more important to the team than GV.
    Granted he has a better back up in J.Smith, but GV sets the tempo of the team and dictates the play.

    Sorry just my opinion!

    I think per the team i'd go:

    1) Gordon
    2) Anderson
    3) Davis
    4) Vasquez
    5) Lopez
    6) Aminu
    7) JSmith

  7. #7
    Ked' sme sami som tak rád.. Kurgan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Italia/Žilina/Praha
    Posts
    3,091
    Lopez is not a horrid player, but still..he's surely effective. Vásquez is much better, and has a much higher ceiling. I'm biased for obvious reasons, but i'm happy greivis is coming along. If only he would cut down the sodding turnovers he'd make me the happiest hornets fan in italy and venezuela.
    Last edited by Kurgan; 01-17-2013 at 03:26 AM.

  8. #8
    Starter DarkHornet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Posts
    211
    Quote Originally Posted by AUSSIE_HORNET View Post
    On paper or per the teams importance?

    No way Lopez is a better player or is more important to the team than GV.
    Granted he has a better back up in J.Smith, but GV sets the tempo of the team and dictates the play.

    Sorry just my opinion!

    I think per the team i'd go:

    1) Gordon
    2) Anderson
    3) Davis
    4) Vasquez
    5) Lopez
    6) Aminu
    7) JSmith
    This is the order I'd have them, too.

  9. #9
    All World Pelicans78's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Lake Charles, LA
    Posts
    15,731
    Lopez is having a really good season. Highest win shares/48 minutes on the team. Second in win shares.

    Emeka Okafor - Joe Smith - Carmelo Anthony - Manu Ginobili - Jason Williams

    Al Jefferson - James Posey - Aaron McKie - Shaun Livingston

  10. #10
    Mostly Harmless 42's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Between 41 and 43
    Posts
    4,900
    I guess that WCPotW win means less since it was so easy to get.

    Too bad. That was a big deal.

    Do you hate him or something?
    __________
    "Aime la vérité, mais pardonne à l'erreur." - François-Marie Arouet (Voltaire)

  11. #11
    Hope Vasquez will recover from the flu before Saturday game.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by HornetGuru View Post
    GV might be our best player
    In terms of talent

    Gordon
    Davis
    Anderson
    Vasquez
    Lopez
    Smith
    Aminu

    In terms of impact in the game at this particular point of the season

    Gordon
    Vasquez
    Anderson
    Davis
    Lopez
    Aminu
    Smith

    In term of consistency and contribution for the whole season

    Vasquez
    Anderson
    Lopez
    Davis
    Smith
    Aminu
    Gordon

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by AUSSIE_HORNET View Post
    On paper or per the teams importance?

    No way Lopez is a better player or is more important to the team than GV.
    Granted he has a better back up in J.Smith, but GV sets the tempo of the team and dictates the play.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jujube View Post
    Lopez is not a horrid player, but still..he's surely effective. Vásquez is much better, and has a much higher ceiling. I'm biased for obvious reasons, but i'm happy greivis is coming along. If only he would cut down the sodding turnovers he'd make me the happiest hornets fan in italy and venezuela.
    Several issues I have with these posts.

    Firstly, the tempo of this team has sucked for most of the season (until Gordon returned). Vasquez isn't fast enough to run the break, and he misses Davis most of the time down the floor anyway.

    Secondly, and most importantly, Lopez is the better player right now. He has a better Offensive Rating, Defensive Rating, a TS% of 59%, and he has over double the win-shares that Vasquez has. Besides, when all things are equal, the big always gets the nod.

    That isn't to say that I don't like Vasquez as a player. He has some great aspects to his game - very good passer (although he rarely passes people open like the elite PGs do), rebounder, and 3-point shooter. His intangibles are off the charts, and that counts for a lot. My main worries with him are his a) poor shot selection at times, b) his limited athelticism which impacts him greatly on the break and defensively, and c) his high TO rate. He is having a great season for him, but I don't think his ceiling is where you think it is. I do think, however, that he can be the PG of a championship team so long as he is surrounded by talented players, which could certainly be the case with this franchise in 2 years.

  14. #14
    All World Pelicans78's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Lake Charles, LA
    Posts
    15,731
    Quote Originally Posted by nolaslim213 View Post
    Several issues I have with these posts.

    Firstly, the tempo of this team has sucked for most of the season (until Gordon returned). Vasquez isn't fast enough to run the break, and he misses Davis most of the time down the floor anyway.

    Secondly, and most importantly, Lopez is the better player right now. He has a better Offensive Rating, Defensive Rating, a TS% of 59%, and he has over double the win-shares that Vasquez has. Besides, when all things are equal, the big always gets the nod.

    That isn't to say that I don't like Vasquez as a player. He has some great aspects to his game - very good passer (although he rarely passes people open like the elite PGs do), rebounder, and 3-point shooter. His intangibles are off the charts, and that counts for a lot. My main worries with him are his a) poor shot selection at times, b) his limited athelticism which impacts him greatly on the break and defensively, and c) his high TO rate. He is having a great season for him, but I don't think his ceiling is where you think it is. I do think, however, that he can be the PG of a championship team so long as he is surrounded by talented players, which could certainly be the case with this franchise in 2 years.
    I pretty much agree with everything in this post.

  15. #15
    He is scoring more than I thought he would.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •