Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Re-open Six Flags! {merged}

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Trell's Avatar

Re-open Six Flags! {merged}

Recently the city has been planning on building a outlet mall on the old Jazzland grounds! I'm against this because we have plenty of areas threw out the city to build any sorta mall, but not any spaces to build an amusement park! I want to start a protest or a fight to keep the park, as many of the rides are savable! The city has plenty of companies calling to re-open and buy the park, but they are being very selfish. They want to lower kids and teen violence, but are not putting any work into that matter, maybe if we had more things for use teens and kids to do there will be lower crime rate! Mostly all the activities is for grown folks, such as bourbon and things like that. This will be great start for the city and community of New Orleans! Heck I miss Mr.Six dancing!

As I said I want someone to do a protest or something, but don't know where to start! Can anyone help or know how can I talk or mail these people to express my feelings? Is anyone down to help re-open the park?
    2013-1014 is the season the Pelicans fanbase grows!!!!

I agree, i miss jazzland

Max Contract Contributor AD23forMVP's Avatar
    The city needs an amusement park.

So you guys down to make a move?

This city is an amusement park?

I work out in the East, and what I don't get is why on God's green earth you'd want to open a mallish thing there when there's tons of other space to do that this is closer to the city, just a smidge farther from Chalmette and Slidell.

Plaza anyone? Even if they wanted something more substantial, the Plaza has to go, and there's a model to follow: The mall in Hammond.

Maybe they are just adding something, but it'd be hard to add something like what I see at Tanger Outlets in a 200 mile radius and still keep rides.

I'm looking for a touring-series quality NASCAR track to come to the area, frankly. East would be perfect for such a thing.

I know you want a NASCAR track there 42, but would you be down to try and get six flags back? I feel this is what the city needs, the children most importantly. Everything here is mainly for adults, and they wonder why children is doing violent, wrong and bad stuff? Im really serious about this! This 16 year old will really try to get this done, I just need support! So or you down? Will you help?

I'm down for BOTH!

Didn't mean knock down the one for other.

Pile it on.

What are your thoughts? Have you researched the lease on that property with the city?

That's why I mainly need help with. I was watching the news like 3 days ago and seen that they plan on making a outlet mall. After all these years, I figured they was waiting for a buyer to come upon to buy and reopen the PARK! Not no darn mall!

Quote Originally Posted by Trell View Post
    That's why I mainly need help with. I was watching the news like 3 days ago and seen that they plan on making a outlet mall. After all these years, I figured they was waiting for a buyer to come upon to buy and reopen the PARK! Not no darn mall!
    There had been talks about re-opening the park maybe once or twice but as usual a lot of red tape and bullcrap probably got in the way so it didn't happen.

^^it seems when it comes down for the good of something , it doesn't happen! I know they was being stuck up and asking for a lot for that land!

But someone please help me with this. I need help with everything, can someone show me at least where to start?

I don't think it's a good idea to have a mall there. The city will just be financing business that will put other places out of business. Once again the government trying to force something instead of it happening naturally in the private sector.

Save Six Flags of New Orleans!

This is the link to the Facebook like page. Please tell friends and others!

http://m.facebook.com/?_rdr#!/SaveSi...00001324736487

Here's the twitter link
    https://mobile.twitter.com/sixflags7

Vote Voodoo! Contributor Unknown Poster's Avatar
    "Hornets means nothing." - Tom Benson

I'm not quite sure what you want to "save."

Six Flags had absolutely zero interest in returning to New Orleans. The lease has been broken, and the city now owns the land.

A redeveloper has already been selected, and there's plans to build an outlet mall.

You're about 6 years too late to salvage any Six Flags involvement in the land, about 3 years too late to salvage the proposed replacement park, and about 10 months too late for the latest round of proposals.

I'm worried the outlet mall is another government money cash grab thats going to leave the site empty for 3-5 more years. During the city council meetings, the developer said he had investors and stores lined up, but couldnt tell the CC who they were until there was a deal, and he had funding, but only if they city gave him the land for free along with some big tax breaks.

Meanwhile there was a second competing bid which was a fully funded theme park. So of course the CC chose the outlet mall.

There's a reason the City Council went with the mall over the park.

Two companies, including the world's largest amusement park company, tried to make a park work at that site. Jazzland/SFNO was a complete failure during its five year run.

Two additional companies, including the most watched basic cable channel, tried to make a new park work post-Katrina. Both failed.

Now I don't know if an outlet mall can work there -- but I think it is painfully obvious that a theme park just does not work at that site. Considering the success of the outlets in Gonzales and Gulfport, I think one in the East has a shot at being more successful than an amusement park.

I'm pretty sure Six Flags wasn't making money... When we would go, we very rarely had to wait in line for anything.

So basically your saying there's no chance to save the park? Nor get another in a different place?

Rookie

trell

If you are looking for a company still trying to bring back the park, here you go.

http://www.jazzlandpark.com/home.html

Thanks so much man! Can you sign the petition on the link you just gave me? And also like the other links at top?

There's no chance to save the park. That doesn't mean a new park couldn't be built in a different location, but the fact that it couldn't work at a site with infrastructure and rides already in place doesn't bode well. IMO, the best chance of NOLA getting a theme park is for the outlet mall to eventually create a park... as of now they are already planning on keeping rides that are salvageable.
    "Times are not good here. The city is crumbling into ashes. It has been buried under taxes and frauds and maladministraions so that it has become a study for archaeologists...but it is better to live here in sackcloth and ashes than to own the whole state of Ohio."

— Lafcadio Hearn (Inventing New Orleans: Writings of Lafcadio Hearn)

Quote Originally Posted by geaux View Post
    There's no chance to save the park. That doesn't mean a new park couldn't be built in a different location, but the fact that it couldn't work at a site with infrastructure and rides already in place doesn't bode well. IMO, the best chance of NOLA getting a theme park is for the outlet mall to eventually create a park... as of now they are already planning on keeping rides that are salvageable.
    I guess you didn't see the link the guy posted. Or the Facebook page from that site,

I guess you didn't see the link the guy posted. Or the Facebook page from that site,
    No, I saw it. I didn't say people couldn't try to do something about it...I just said it won't happen. Now, if the outlet mall deal goes south during due diligence, than anything is possible again. But as of right now, the only project being discussed is the outlet mall.

FYI, I would prefer a backlot/film studio/amusement park over an outlet mall. As I said earlier, the best chance for Jazzland to return is for the outlet mall to be a huge success and build on that by creating a true amusement/theme park.

So basically your saying there's no chance to save the park?
    I hate being a dream assassin, but yeah, there is zero chance of saving the park.

It's been seven years since it closed. SEVEN YEARS!

Local companies couldn't make it work. (Inter)national companies couldn't make it work. Six Flags failed. Nickelodeon could barely get any momentum.

Jazzland, as it stood from 2000-2005, is dead.

Nor get another in a different place?
    I never said that.

Could an amusement park work in a different location? Maybe. I think a smaller scale park could be successful in a number of places in the city.

Can it work in New Orleans East at the intersection of I-10 and I-510? I think the past says no.

Quote Originally Posted by DRob8785 View Post
    I hate being a dream assassin, but yeah, there is zero chance of saving the park.

It's been seven years since it closed. SEVEN YEARS!

Local companies couldn't make it work. (Inter)national companies couldn't make it work. Six Flags failed. Nickelodeon could barely get any momentum.

Jazzland, as it stood from 2000-2005, is dead.

I never said that.

Could an amusement park work in a different location? Maybe. I think a smaller scale park could be successful in a number of places in the city.

Can it work in New Orleans East at the intersection of I-10 and I-510? I think the past says no.
    Speaking of dreams... Pontchatrain Beach.

Thread Information