Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Lakers Hire D'Antoni

Vote Voodoo! Contributor Unknown Poster's Avatar
    They weren't going to hire Jackson. As an article above pointed out the dude is so self-absorbed he wouldn't even make all the road games. I mean... what the hell?!?! That's a joke.
    "Hornets means nothing." - Tom Benson

Lakers resist Phil Jackson's power grab

Between the hours of Mike Brown's firing and a meeting on Saturday morning with history's most accomplished coach, Lakers general manager Mitch Kupchak privately told people there was one candidate: Phil Jackson.

Jackson wanted to humiliate Lakers vice president Jim Buss far more than he wanted to coach the team. He wanted significant allowances on travel, coaching duties and an ability to veto player personnel moves that didn't fit his vision. With an unprecedented 11 coaching championships, Jackson had every right to make unprecedented demands. He doesn't have the right to be surprised when the Lakers rejected them and hired a pliable, cheaper coach in Mike D'Antoni.

"Phil wanted Jim Buss to walk away with his tail between his legs," one source with knowledge of the discussions told Yahoo! Sports. "He thought he had time to still negotiate with them, and see how much they would give him."

Now, the Lakers are going out of their way to spare Jackson the embarrassment of his overreaching, but this is pointless spin. They're working with him to sell the public that he hadn't asked for too much, that somehow the franchise chose D'Antoni over Jackson on sheer merit. It's noble, but laughable. Jackson heard those chants in the Staples Center and never believed the Lakers had the guts to call his bluff before circling back to him on Monday.

Yeah, I'd pick D'Antoni over Phil every time in this situation rather than give into the demands of a guy who needs more money, won't attend road games, wants to be in charge of basketball operations, and has an offense that will effectively neutralize Steve Nash.

Quote Originally Posted by The JNR View Post
    Yeah, I'd pick D'Antoni over Phil every time in this situation rather than give into the demands of a guy who needs more money, won't attend road games, wants to be in charge of basketball operations, and has an offense that will effectively neutralize Steve Nash.
    That just really meant that he wasn't interested.

Quote Originally Posted by Nola Hornet View Post
    That just really meant that he wasn't interested.
    Which makes the D'Antoni hire even better!

To be honest, I think D'Antoni is a better fit with the personnel the Lakers have and taking into consideration the complexity of the Triangle.

Yes I know Kobe, Pau, and Meta are still on the team, but what about the rest of the rotation? Essentially all new players (Nash, Howard, Meeks, Ebanks, Jamison, and Hill).

"I'm not going to allow my putative owner to answer that question, this is an NBA related press conference. Paul Tagliabue and Roger Goodell have collectively sung their praises of Tom and if uh ESPN has a problem with that tell Mr. Skipper to call me at my office."

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    When I first heard how much he would get, I thought the reason they hired him over Phil, was because he was getting in four years, what Phil would have wanted in one year.

Lakers Hire D'Antoni

D'Antoni hates using big men to post up. Gasol and Howard will never get to post up in the paint. He's gonna make them stand outside of the paint. He's a very one dimensional coach and I'm thrilled the Lakers hired him.

Emeka Okafor - Joe Smith - Carmelo Anthony - Manu Ginobili - Jason Williams

Al Jefferson - James Posey - Aaron McKie - Shaun Livingston

Hall of Famer Contributor
    Quote Originally Posted by Hornets78 View Post
    D'Antoni hates using big men to post up. Gasol and Howard will never get to post up in the paint. He's gonna make them stand outside of the paint. He's a very one dimensional coach and I'm thrilled the Lakers hired him.
    The question from the opposite view point is, "How would Nash fit in to the Triangle Offense?"

Mix reviews and speculation on that one; guess we won't find out.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Oh yes. This effectively crushes their long term viability. Kobe will get frustrated. Want to retire with the team that drafted then traded him. Show he's grateful.

Ah yes. It is so clearn ow...

Saint Pelican of Mile High Contributor DefensiveMind's Avatar
    Horrible call.

The dude is dating your sister. Sit down in a room, hash out your differences and make it happen. D'Antoni has never and will never be a championship caliber coach. He is the Norv Turner of the NBA.

Quote Originally Posted by DefensiveMind View Post
    Horrible call.

The dude is dating your sister. Sit down in a room, hash out your differences and make it happen. D'Antoni has never and will never be a championship caliber coach. He is the Norv Turner of the NBA.
    So wait. You actually WANT the Lakers to win another championship?

Or are you just referring to the "keep it in the family" perspective of things?

Saint Pelican of Mile High Contributor DefensiveMind's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HunnyB View Post
    So wait. You actually WANT the Lakers to win another championship?

Or are you just referring to the "keep it in the family" perspective of things?
    I don't care what the Lakers do, but I am a fan of the game and Phil Jackson is a better coach than Mike D'Antoni. The Lakers beat us in a 7 game series with either and by the time we are ready to make a run, these guys will be out to pasture. I just wanna see smart moves. I do find comfort in the fact that Jim Buss is a disaster as an owner which may eventually help us down the road.

Surprised but oh well
    New Orleans Pelicans-Seattle Seahawks-Atlanta Braves-Anaheim Ducks

RIP HunnyB

This fits HunnyB/FlyGirl so well- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IyzTiSEfM00

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Vinny, that redhead...

Really makes it hard.

To concentrate I mean.

Quote Originally Posted by Hornets78 View Post
    Howard and Gasol are both perfect bigs for the pick and roll. They're a souped up version of West and Chandler when they played with CP. D'Antoni's a very good NBA coach. He went to the conference finals twice and might have gone again if not for Ama're's suspension against San Antonio in 2007.

Thread Information