Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Lakers Hire D'Antoni

Breaking News Lakers Hire D'Antoni

The Los Angeles Lakers, in a wholly unexpected move, announced Monday morning that they signed former Phoenix Suns and New York Knicks coach Mike D'Antoni to replace Mike Brown as head coach.

D'Antoni's deal is for four years, his agent, Warren LeGarie, confirmed to ESPNLosAngeles.com late Sunday night

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/s...rs-sources-say

Kinda saw this happening... Phil may not have been able to get assistants as they're all tied up with other teams.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Phew. They were almost competent.

Only did this cuz they have Nash. Still won't matter. Kobe's not the defender he was. Neither is Artest. And D'Antoni won't scheme any defense for them. The situation is ripe...very good.

Yeah I figured the Nash connection would lead to D'Antoni. Maybe he should hire Brown to coach the defense. Because Mike doesn't seem to even bother with that side of the ball.
    Last edited by da ThRONe; 11-12-2012 at 07:44 AM.

Emeka Okafor - Joe Smith - Carmelo Anthony - Manu Ginobili - Jason Williams

Al Jefferson - James Posey - Aaron McKie - Shaun Livingston

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    Was shocked when I woke up this morning and saw this. Lakers fans are ****** LOL

Good for them. Supposedly Kobe idolized D'Antoni as a child in Italy.

The media is probably mad because they seemed to be pining hard for Phil. I'm just glad I don't have to read his unnecessary remarks about New Orleans anymore. Glad he's staying where he is.

The media loves the Lakers. They love the Lakers so much that one of them even came up with this little gem.

tomhaberstroh Tom Haberstroh
    Lakers still need shooters. Would not be surprised if Lakers fans got Ryan Anderson or Ersan Ilyasova for Christmas.

They'd love to rob other teams just to help the Lakers.

I fear.

Good teams can express their dominance in a number of ways. Driving up the number of possessions is one way to do that. The law of large numbers favors the better team, and they can be better by flying with the starters, then slow it down with the backups.

flying here may mean using less shot clock and taking high percent shots (Nash to Howard), not necessarily running . . . a common and reflexive misconception . . . there are many ways to increase the number of possessions a game.

Quote Originally Posted by HunnyB View Post
    The media loves the Lakers. They love the Lakers so much that one of them even came up with this little gem.

Lakers still need shooters. Would not be surprised if Lakers fans got Ryan Anderson or Ersan Ilyasova for Christmas.

Gordon and Anderson for Pau?

I wouldn't want it.

Love that Gordon!

I'd rather keep Anderson. I was just trying to think of something that wouldn't get the Lakers brass jumped in an alley for insulting us.

Not so much loving Gordon as much as it is NOT loving Pau.

Besides, I just put that here not to turn it into a trade thread but to show how much the media is already trying to rob other teams to help the Lakers.

Quote Originally Posted by 42 View Post

wow was expecting Jackson comeback

Jackson 'stunned'.

Phil Jackson was prepared to return to the Los Angeles Lakers on Monday morning if negotiations between his agent and the team went well, a league source told ESPNLosAngeles.com late Sunday night.

When the Lakers called to tell Jackson that they had instead chosen Mike D'Antoni to be their next head coach, he was "stunned," according to the source, because he had been under the impression "it was his job to turn down" although no formal offer had ever been made.
    Jackson and the Lakers had never spoken about a salary, the source said, "but he knew coaches don't make what he used to make anymore." He also never intended to miss any more road games than he had in his previous stints with the Lakers.

"Phil would come back only to win and skipping games doesn't lead to winning," the source said.

However, Jackson had wanted more say over basketball decisions, another source said.

The Los Angeles Times reported that Jackson was also seeking an ownership stake, according to a person familiar with the situation.

In the end, the Lakers felt D'Antoni gave them a better chance to win this year.
    So he wanted to skip games, have more say over basketball decisions AND wanted stake in ownership.

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/s...rs-source-says

Quote Originally Posted by HunnyB View Post

That guy writes for ESPN's "Heat Index." Is he the guy who last year wanted the Hornets to buy out Kaman so that the Heat could sign him for peanuts?

I think Jackson piggybacked off of star players, and once the teams looked weak he left... Now he wants back in with Howard... I hate the guy.

Quote Originally Posted by greewe View Post
    That guy writes for ESPN's "Heat Index." Is he the guy who last year wanted the Hornets to buy out Kaman so that the Heat could sign him for peanuts?
    I have no idea.

Quote Originally Posted by 42 View Post
    I think there would need to be a 3rd team who had interest in Pau and young assets. Somebody like Houston. We would get back Meeks, J. Hill, Patrick Patterson, Terrence Jones, Motiejunas, Marcus Morris, picks, etc. etc. etc.

Would give LAL Gordon and Anderson, just for giving up Pau.

Would give HOU a lineup of Lin/Harden/Parsons/Gasol/Asik and lets them finally consolidate the rest of that talent for an All-Star.

For the Hornets, it would be a lot of talent/assets and get something back for Gordon's contract, but it seems like a big step backward.

I don't even know if it works financially (trade machine won't do it since these guys can't be traded until December), and I wouldn't take it for the Hornets. Just bored during a slow patch before Wednesday.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo-4.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	104.8 KB 
ID:	4411

Even Mitt feels bad for Laker fans..

The Lakers have NOTHING we want. Demps won't just comply with another ploy to make the Lakers better.

I kinda feel happy for Phil since he can just stay retired in his nice lakeside cabin and not suffer through that, then watch them crash and burn and just continue to build his legacy without even doing anything.

I wonder if 1 of Phil's apparent "road trips off" would've included New Orleans... we know how much he LOVES good ole NOLA
    Last edited by rt0307; 11-12-2012 at 04:47 PM.

Like a slug loves salt.

Thread Information