.
Pelicans Report
 
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 141

Thread: Davis vs The Field

  1. #26
    Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! fullcourtpress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    3,406
    The thing I'm excited about is how much court we cover when Davis and Aminu are in defensive position with their arms up! together with Jason Smith, Robin LOPEZ and such we are becoming a premier defense under Monty Williams. Perhaps the league's best by year's end. Offensively, Eric Gordon and Ryan Anderson could take us far, wow.

  2. #27
    Quote Originally Posted by da ThRONe View Post
    He's barely drawing single teams.

    He has played well and has been very efficient. I underestimate his touch around the basket and his quick hooks. But most of his baskets are wide open assissted looks. Any good athlete would make those basket, and it's hasn't been 3 full games he's a good player and he should help this team win games for years to come, but taking 2.5 games and making these grand conclusion is premature to say the least.

    How many of you where calling Jeremy Lin a once in a generation player after is run? Right now his offensive output is mostly due to the system. He's getting the ball right where he's comfortable and doesn't have to do much. He's also on a team with no true #1 option so he's a defacto 1st option.

    If after teams adjust to how we are using Davis and if he's still this productive and/or efficient I feel way more comfortable about his chances to be a star.
    While it's great that you haven't disappeared after making the outlandish claims that Davis was the 7th best player in this draft... this is one of the most ridiculous arguments I've seen. It's as if you don't even want to be wrong. You're a Hornets fan, yet you seem to want Davis to bust just so that you can prove to everyone how right you were. No one even called you out this time and yet you're still making arguments against Davis when he's done nothing but impress so far.

    As for "barely drawing single teams"... no one is going to double someone who doesn't have the ball. The Hornets aren't running a lot of plays for Davis yet, so the ball is rarely in his hands. And maybe you should credit Davis for getting open under the rim or running the floor better than those who are guarding him. Shoot... Davis scored 17 of the team's next 20 points after he got into that altercation with BJ Mullens. That's probably been the most impressive thing he's shown so far.

    But if it was as easy as you seem to imply, then more bigs should average 17+ a game, especially as they gain experience. There are plenty of players that "barely draw single teams", yet they can't score at all.

    The reality is, Davis is one of the top 5 players to come out since Duncan. The only two players I could see drafted over Davis in that span are LeBron and Oden. And even then, I'm not too sure. LeBron was coming out of high school so it's hard to compare. Also, word out of Portland was that Oden was out of shape at his pre-draft workouts. We also would have likely seen an Oden vs Davis National Championship. If Davis won that matchup, he likely would have went #1.

    I'd also dare to say that Davis would have been taken over Duncan if Duncan came out after his freshman year.
    Last edited by bradael; 11-11-2012 at 01:40 PM.

  3. #28
    Quote Originally Posted by bradael View Post
    While it's great that you haven't disappeared after making the outlandish claims that Davis was the 7th best player in this draft... this is one of the most ridiculous arguments I've seen. It's as if you don't even want to be wrong. You're a Hornets fan, yet you seem to want Davis to bust just so that you can prove to everyone how right you were. No one even called you out this time and yet you're still making arguments against Davis when he's done nothing but impress so far.

    As for "barely drawing single teams"... no one is going to double someone who doesn't have the ball. The Hornets aren't running a lot of plays for Davis yet, so the ball is rarely in his hands. And maybe you should credit Davis for getting open under the rim or running the floor better than those who are guarding him. Shoot... Davis scored 17 of the team's next 20 points after he got into that altercation with BJ Mullens. That's probably been the most impressive thing he's shown so far.

    But if it was as easy as you seem to imply, then more bigs should average 17+ a game, especially as they gain experience. There are plenty of players that "barely draw single teams", yet they can't score at all.

    The reality is, Davis is one of the top 5 players to come out since Duncan. The only two players I could see drafted over Davis in that span are LeBron and Oden. And even then, I'm not too sure. LeBron was coming out of high school so it's hard to compare. Also, word out of Portland was that Oden was out of shape at his pre-draft workouts. We also would have likely seen an Oden vs Davis National Championship. If Davis won that matchup, he likely would have went #1.

    I'd also dare to say that Davis would have been taken over Duncan if Duncan came out after his freshman year.
    It's funny I'm saying lets wait and let things play out before crowning a rookie after 2.5 games and I'm the one with the most ridiculous arguement?

    Davis has played well within the system not taking that from him. But some of you are acting like he is out there going one on 5 dunking on the whole team. We've seen countless times certain players have hot stretches and never become anything special. He's been efficient, but most of his production is gifted wrapped by the system.

    My point has always been he's not a franchise/superstar type player. Can we at least wait til the all-star before we put this kid in the HOF?

  4. #29

    Davis vs The Field

    Quote Originally Posted by da ThRONe View Post
    My point has always been he's not a franchise/superstar type player. Can we at least wait til the all-star before we put this kid in the HOF?
    How can you say that he isnt an franchise/superstar type player after 2.5 games? Quite hypocritical.

  5. #30
    Quote Originally Posted by jdmcuc View Post
    How can you say that he isnt an franchise/superstar type player after 2.5 games? Quite hypocritical.
    It's an evaluation. Not saying he is or he isn't just that I don't predict him to be. This thread is implying Davis is great/once-in-generation/franchise player already based on 2.5 not the same thing.

  6. #31
    Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Bee-Fense's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    3,619
    Quote Originally Posted by da ThRONe View Post
    It's an evaluation. Not saying he is or he isn't just that I don't predict him to be. This thread is implying Davis is great/once-in-generation/franchise player already based on 2.5 not the same thing.
    Your prediction that he won't be a franchise player is not any more valid than anyone else's prediction that he will be. It really is the same thing. A prediction is a prediction.

    And to be frank, even if they weren't, the opposing opinion to yours' has much more evidence to support it. Your evaluation is based on a biased you've held due to your predictions and outlandish claims (Davis being the 7th best player in the draft) made months ago.

  7. #32
    Quote Originally Posted by Bee-Fense View Post
    Your prediction that he won't be a franchise player is not any more valid than anyone else's prediction that he will be. It really is the same thing. A prediction is a prediction.

    And to be frank, even if they weren't, the opposing opinion to yours' has much more evidence to support it. Your evaluation is based on a biased you've held due to your predictions and outlandish claims (Davis being the 7th best player in the draft) made months ago.
    If people are projecting Davis to be whatever I don't have a problem. However trying to use 2.5 games as proof that I'm wrong isn't a projection. Especially when I see how he's getting that production.

    My evaluations are why I ranked Davis where I did in this class and 2.5 games aren't enough to change my mind. I don't see him as a player that an offense can be ran through. I see a player that is the benefactor of a good system that allows him to do what he's comfortable scoring at. Hats off to Davis for that as it's been mentioned a lot of players can't even do that. However they're still a good number of player who can and most of which aren't franchise changing players.

    I've given him his credit for playing well. If you want me to say he's answered all my concerns the answer is clearly no. They'll come a time where I'm comfortable saying yes to that question.

  8. #33
    Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! luckyman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    3,270
    Quote Originally Posted by da ThRONe View Post
    He's barely drawing single teams.

    He has played well and has been very efficient. I underestimate his touch around the basket and his quick hooks.
    What I like is that he just developed that this summer. Had multiple chances to use that at Kentucky but it just wasn't in his repertoire yet. Now it is and it doesnt look awkward like some of his other post moves (and he hasn't had many chances).

    That leads me to think he will reach his ceiling of Minnesota Kevin Garnett very quickly.

    Like someone else said, you can't double team a player that doesn't hold the ball. Thats going to take another summer. Mostly, the way he is scoring is similar to Aminu right now. Has to be frustrating to opposing teams because there is nothing you can do about athleticism and length scoring on you.

    Using 2.5 games is rediculous to extrapolate (bell curve sample size has to be 30+), but you can't really deny how he's looked so far either. That 17.3 average seems quite legit.

  9. #34
    The Witch Doctor NemesisKING's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Ask Your Wife
    Posts
    935
    Quote Originally Posted by da ThRONe View Post
    How many of you where calling Jeremy Lin a once in a generation player after is run?
    Hunh?

  10. #35
    All World Pelicans78's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Lake Charles, LA
    Posts
    15,727

    Davis vs The Field

    Anyone who still thinks Davis is the 7th best prospect after watching him should be banned because incompetence to the highest degree shouldn't be tolerated. It's not about opinion. It's about clearly being wrong and still making the argument just to incite, agitate, and troll. Again, the argument for him being the 7th best prospect hasn't gotten any better and is clearly much, much dumber. It's obvious what skills, upside, and thought process Davis brings and no one in this class is close to touching him. Seriously da Throne, your arguments are flat out dumb and you should either admit you're trolling or go away because you're bringing the quality of this forum to an all-time low.

    Emeka Okafor - Joe Smith - Carmelo Anthony - Manu Ginobili - Jason Williams

    Al Jefferson - James Posey - Aaron McKie - Shaun Livingston

  11. #36
    All World Pelicans78's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Lake Charles, LA
    Posts
    15,727

    Davis vs The Field

    And no one was calling Lin an once in a generation player. That's even dumber than the other argument. People said he was an incredible story and that was it.

  12. #37
    Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! AUSSIE_PELICAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    2,577
    Quote Originally Posted by Hornets78 View Post
    Anyone who still thinks Davis is the 7th best prospect after watching him should be banned because incompetence to the highest degree shouldn't be tolerated. It's not about opinion. It's about clearly being wrong and still making the argument just to incite, agitate, and troll. Again, the argument for him being the 7th best prospect hasn't gotten any better and is clearly much, much dumber. It's obvious what skills, upside, and thought process Davis brings and no one in this class is close to touching him. Seriously da Throne, your arguments are flat out dumb and you should either admit you're trolling or go away because you're bringing the quality of this forum to an all-time low.

  13. #38
    A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    20,921
    Now let's be fair. Throne said the 6th OR 7th best prospect.
    Now I do voice overs. Finally!

  14. #39
    U-L-M...Geaux Hawks Geaux djpaul89's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Monroe, LA
    Posts
    3,103
    Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    What I like is that he just developed that this summer. Had multiple chances to use that at Kentucky but it just wasn't in his repertoire yet. Now it is and it doesnt look awkward like some of his other post moves (and he hasn't had many chances).

    That leads me to think he will reach his ceiling of Minnesota Kevin Garnett very quickly.

    Like someone else said, you can't double team a player that doesn't hold the ball. Thats going to take another summer. Mostly, the way he is scoring is similar to Aminu right now. Has to be frustrating to opposing teams because there is nothing you can do about athleticism and length scoring on you.

    Using 2.5 games is rediculous to extrapolate (bell curve sample size has to be 30+), but you can't really deny how he's looked so far either. That 17.3 average seems quite legit.
    Solid, objective post.

  15. #40
    A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    20,921
    That hook isn't something he just added this summer. He started using it more and more as Kentucky's season went on. He really used it a lot in the SEC Tournament and NCAA Tournament. But it was rarely even used period because he took so few shots.

    I think we'll see that turnaround J he tried in the Olympics but it fell short in the coming weeks too.

    Another hunch based on nothing.

  16. #41
    That Hook looks very smooth and natural. I think he has unlimited potential with the back to the basket game. It's only a matter of time for the kid. I didn't really think he'd compare well to KG coming into the league but the more I see him, the more I see a Young KG in his game.

  17. #42
    Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! luckyman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    3,270
    Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    That hook isn't something he just added this summer. He started using it more and more as Kentucky's season went on. He really used it a lot in the SEC Tournament and NCAA Tournament. But it was rarely even used period because he took so few shots.

    I think we'll see that turnaround J he tried in the Olympics but it fell short in the coming weeks too.

    Another hunch based on nothing.
    I must have missed it because I was dying to see that move every chance I got to see him. Never saw it. I may not have recognized it because if he did do it, it was no where near as refined as it is now, especially off the dribble...which is basically an unstoppable move for someone as long as he is.

    I think even working with Lopez might have played a part since he uses it too. He mentioned it being very hard to guard when they were practicing with each other.

    I think during the combine his hands measured smaller than other frontcourt players. In this case, I think it's proving to be a positive. I also see an 85+ % free throw shooter for his career.
    Last edited by luckyman; 11-11-2012 at 09:35 PM.

  18. #43
    All World Contributor FlyGirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Walkin to N.O.
    Posts
    20,012
    Speaking of Davis, I don't know if this video has ever been posted but I just found it and thought it was well done.


  19. #44
    Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! AUSSIE_PELICAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    2,577
    Don't ya just love him?

  20. #45
    Quote Originally Posted by Hornets78 View Post
    Anyone who still thinks Davis is the 7th best prospect after watching him should be banned because incompetence to the highest degree shouldn't be tolerated. It's not about opinion. It's about clearly being wrong and still making the argument just to incite, agitate, and troll. Again, the argument for him being the 7th best prospect hasn't gotten any better and is clearly much, much dumber. It's obvious what skills, upside, and thought process Davis brings and no one in this class is close to touching him. Seriously da Throne, your arguments are flat out dumb and you should either admit you're trolling or go away because you're bringing the quality of this forum to an all-time low.
    Dude you should pump your brakes with the insults.

    It's waaaaay to early to try to form any significant opinions about this crop of rookies. The only non intelliegent stance is drawing concluisons based on what would be hard press to call a "sample size". I haven't had time to get a good look at the other rookies to see how they are playing not just the stats they are posting. Talent evalution is a marathon some of you are turning it into a 5m dash.

  21. #46
    On a permanent Holiday! Purple Haze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Heart of the City
    Posts
    4,690
    This is the daThrone thread, right?

    Stop arguing dude, wow. You really do a great job of making every single Davis thread all about you.
    Wherehappens.

  22. #47
    Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Silverfoxx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    2,908
    Da Throne is awesome and is the face of HornetsReport.

    Drummond>>>>Davis








    True Love

  23. #48
    The Franchise Make It Rain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Metairie
    Posts
    1,136
    You keep saying it is too small of a sample size to judge a player. What you fail to realize is Davis isn't being judged just off of 2.5 games. He is being judged off of a year where he was college player of the year and the best player on a national championship team. Combine that with 2.5 games of play that was better than anyone could have hoped for. There is a huge reason to be excited about the future of NBA basketball in NOLA, and Anthony Davis is that reason.

  24. #49
    Quote Originally Posted by da ThRONe View Post
    If people are projecting Davis to be whatever I don't have a problem. However trying to use 2.5 games as proof that I'm wrong isn't a projection. Especially when I see how he's getting that production.

    My evaluations are why I ranked Davis where I did in this class and 2.5 games aren't enough to change my mind. I don't see him as a player that an offense can be ran through. I see a player that is the benefactor of a good system that allows him to do what he's comfortable scoring at. Hats off to Davis for that as it's been mentioned a lot of players can't even do that. However they're still a good number of player who can and most of which aren't franchise changing players.

    I've given him his credit for playing well. If you want me to say he's answered all my concerns the answer is clearly no. They'll come a time where I'm comfortable saying yes to that question.
    Are you one of those me against the world types? EVERY SINGLE PUNDIT in existence is saying the same thing. "AD should be a perennial all-star, he is a special talent, best prospect since LBJ", etc etc..

    Claiming AD as the 7th best prospect in this ONE DRAFT, when most EXPERTS are saying he is the best player in the last TEN DRAFTS certainly hurts your credibility

    The entire planet believes the sky is blue, you still think its green?

  25. #50
    On a permanent Holiday! Purple Haze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Heart of the City
    Posts
    4,690
    Quote Originally Posted by Bongzilla View Post
    Are you one of those me against the world types? EVERY SINGLE PUNDIT in existence is saying the same thing. "AD should be a perennial all-star, he is a special talent, best prospect since LBJ", etc etc..

    Claiming AD as the 7th best prospect in this ONE DRAFT, when most EXPERTS are saying he is the best player in the last TEN DRAFTS certainly hurts your credibility

    The entire planet believes the sky is blue, you still think its green?
    Actually it's not blue. Haha

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •