Pelicans Report

Thread: Hornets' bench providing needed spark so far this young season

Hornets' bench providing needed spark so far this young season

If an NBA team hopes to contend, large contributions are customarily needed from reserves and if Friday night's win over the Charlotte Bobcats is any indication, the New Orleans Hornets appear to be well fortified. The Hornets' bench scored a season-high 56 points in the 107-99 win over the Bobcats, bolstered by the return of Ryan Anderson from a brief starting role while rookie Anthony Davis nursed a mild concussion.

Anderson led all Hornets scorers with 25 points against the Bobcat, while backup first-year point guard Ryan Anderson contributed 16, a resounding boost considering the group's spark plug, forward Jason Smith, was limited to just five minutes because of a sprained left thumb.

In the Hornets' first four games this season, the bench has contributed 34, 31, 26 and 25 points, with Smith leading the way in three of those four games, energizing the second unit with his hustle which seems to become contagious.

"It's something I've done throughout my career, but you've got to do that anytime you come off the bench," Smith said. "You've got to give that first group a spark, a little bit of energy, kind of rejuvenate that energy they began the game with. Usually when the second team goes in, it's to give that team a rest. They're a little bit tired, so you amp up the energy and step up the pace a little bit.
    Link

Once Rivers gets it together, our 2nd unit is going to be great. Rivers, Miller, Ryno, and JSmith is a really nice unit.

Quote Originally Posted by nolaslim213 View Post
    Once Rivers gets it together, our 2nd unit is going to be great. Rivers, Miller, Ryno, and JSmith is a really nice unit.
    Mason has been really good as well.

Emeka Okafor - Joe Smith - Carmelo Anthony - Manu Ginobili - Jason Williams

Al Jefferson - James Posey - Aaron McKie - Shaun Livingston

Quote Originally Posted by Hornets78 View Post
    Mason has been really good as well.
    Yeah, he has been. I guess I was looking at it more long-term than just this season, but you're right. He has been doing a nice job for us.

I am lazy- dont feel like looking around the entire league. Who are some other guys lighting it up off the bench that can compete with Ryno for 6th man? I know Jamal Crawford has been insane so far. Anybody else?
    @mcnamara247

rhyno should eventually start

JR Smith, assuming he doesn't start.

Quote Originally Posted by ozwego15 View Post
    rhyno should eventually start
    Start over who? Kind of defeats the purpose of having a solid bench.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    Quote Originally Posted by nolaslim213 View Post
    And once Gordon comes back that will help too.

If Gordon comes back we will have a late 90's early 2000's kings, or early to mid 2000's Pistons bench. The talent on our bench might be S good as some starting 5's.

And even if Gordon doesn't come back, once Rivers learns the pg spot, and Vasquez is made the backup, we will be scary good.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Bee-Fense's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    I am lazy- dont feel like looking around the entire league. Who are some other guys lighting it up off the bench that can compete with Ryno for 6th man? I know Jamal Crawford has been insane so far. Anybody else?
    Kevin Martin

Kevin Martin, Lou Williams, Ray Allen, Ben Gordon, Vince Carter, Mike Dunleavy, JR Smith, JJ Riddick, Marcus Thornton, Manu Ginobili, and Randy Foye. Probably a few more could be listed but there is plenty of competition for 6th man of the year this season. Some will fall off and other will rise. This will definitely be a fun season to watch for the sixth man.

So far, the rotations off the bench seem to be a real strength of the team. Ryno coming off the bench and getting starter's minutes seems to be a real luxury for Monty. This team simply has a bunch of guys who do their job well. For the most part, there's little drop-off when the substitutions occur. That's a far cry from the latter CP3 days when the 2nd team would squander what the 1st team put together.
    Support Louisiana businesses.

Anderson led all Hornets scorers with 25 points against the Bobcat, while backup first-year point guard Ryan Anderson contributed 16,
    didnt know anderson was a point guard

RESPECT DA KID!!! Contributor BigChris504's Avatar
    Seems as though its going to be Jamal Crawfords award to lose, but people shouldn't sleep on Ryan Anderson, K-Mart, and also Jerryd Bayless as honarable mentions.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy bob View Post
    didnt know anderson was a point guard
    Or two people.

I wrote this about you Mr. West's Avatar
    Man I was so convinced that Anderson would be starting, then we picked up Lopez and I wasn't sure. Now I don't think I would want him starting unless injury strikes. His punch coming off the bench is perfect, and I expect many more games like the one he had against the Bobcats.

Lopez really isn't starting quality doe.

Amirite?

I love our bench, we aren't used to having one
    New Orleans Pelicans-Seattle Seahawks-Atlanta Braves-Anaheim Ducks

RIP HunnyB

This fits HunnyB/FlyGirl so well- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IyzTiSEfM00

Quote Originally Posted by Perth_Hornet View Post
    Lopez really isn't starting quality doe.

Amirite?
    No. Not at all.

Thread Information