.
Pelicans Report
 
Results 1 to 25 of 25

Thread: Vasquez 5th in the league for assists

  1. #1

    Vasquez 5th in the league for assists

    Dat Latin swag

  2. #2
    We should sell high on Vasquez. Love his attitude, and I was really high on him last year, but I'm not loving what I'm seeing so far this year. If Demps can get a nice piece for him, he should do it. Rivers needs more minutes at the point anyway.

  3. #3
    Fire Monty!! Contributor AD23forMVP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    13,941
    Rivers has been far better at the point than at the two.
    PelicansReport.com Sim League
    New Orleans Hornets General Manager

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by CP3forMVP View Post
    Rivers has been far better at the point than at the two.
    Agreed. Love him on the PnR with the ball in his hands.

  5. #5
    Hornets fan from NJ! Vinny6420's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    1,873
    Im a huge Vasquez fan so its nice so see that
    New Orleans Pelicans-Seattle Seahawks-Atlanta Braves-Anaheim Ducks


    RIP HunnyB

    This fits HunnyB/FlyGirl so well- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IyzTiSEfM00

  6. #6
    Yeah lets trade him for the prize behind door number 3. It could very well be another Vazquez, but it is newer and shinier. Yeah, and then when that one gets old, lets trade him for a shiny new prize.

    Come on guys. Can't this site go one day without "lets trade Joe Blow." Joe has been putting in the time, leave him be.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    Yeah lets trade him for the prize behind door number 3. It could very well be another Vazquez, but it is newer and shinier. Yeah, and then when that one gets old, lets trade him for a shiny new prize.

    Come on guys. Can't this site go one day without "lets trade Joe Blow." Joe has been putting in the time, leave him be.
    Nobody said "let's trade him for a scrub." Don't be ridiculous. I think it is just good management 101 to sell high on a guy like Vasquez, who has a very limited ceiling. I love his fire and passion for the game, but the guy just can't guard NBA PGs. That is a big flaw, and it's tough to overlook.

  8. #8
    Plenty of NBA pg's can't guard other NBA pg's. For all his defensive praise, CP3 couldn't guard NBA pg's, he just played lanes and new his spots. Not much to it. Not every pg is going to play def. like Rondo or D-Will.

    Vasquez isn't a scrub, and he is only getting better. For a 4th or 5th best player in your starting 5 you could do much worse.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    Plenty of NBA pg's can't guard other NBA pg's. For all his defensive praise, CP3 couldn't guard NBA pg's, he just played lanes and new his spots. Not much to it. Not every pg is going to play def. like Rondo or D-Will.

    Vasquez isn't a scrub, and he is only getting better. For a 4th or 5th best player in your starting 5 you could do much worse.
    None of that changes the fact that Vasquez is arguably the worst defensive PG in the league. If he developed a consistent 3-point shot, I'd love him here, because he could play off the ball more, but he hasn't shown that he can do that yet. He is a great passer, but that only gets you so far.

  10. #10
    I doubt Monty and Del are prancing Vasquez out there to embarrass him. They would have benched him long ago if they didn't think he was up to the task. The thing is, he doesn't have to be all world, or even all New Orleans to thrive in this system. As long as the bigs are on, nobody is shooting 1.000 from behind the arc, and he can keep being him.

  11. #11
    All-Star SharlieCheen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Unfortunately not in New Orleans
    Posts
    263
    lopez is also fifth in blocks as well

  12. #12

    Vasquez 5th in the league for assists

    Last edited by RhythmNathan; 11-10-2012 at 07:24 AM.

  13. #13
    All World Pelicans78's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Lake Charles, LA
    Posts
    15,760
    Paul has become one of the best defenders in the league at his positions and is easily a better on the ball defender than D-Will at this point.

    Emeka Okafor - Joe Smith - Carmelo Anthony - Manu Ginobili - Jason Williams

    Al Jefferson - James Posey - Aaron McKie - Shaun Livingston

  14. #14
    All World Pelicans78's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Lake Charles, LA
    Posts
    15,760
    Trade him too. Rather see Rivers at the point once Gordon is back.

  15. #15
    The Witch Doctor NemesisKING's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Ask Your Wife
    Posts
    937
    Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    I doubt Monty and Del are prancing Vasquez out there to embarrass him. They would have benched him long ago if they didn't think he was up to the task. The thing is, he doesn't have to be all world, or even all New Orleans to thrive in this system. As long as the bigs are on, nobody is shooting 1.000 from behind the arc, and he can keep being him.
    Not true, it's like Shanle. People say he's been there through all these different DCs, he's must be good. NO, they just haven't brought in anybody else that's talented enough to get passed injury, inexperience with the new system or just in general.

    Vasquez is starting because there is nobody else. Right now they're still trying to Win while they're developing the youth.

    I'm sorry i don't care how good you think we look with Austin in the lineup vs how bad we look with just Vasquez there, he is not ready to be a starting point guard, offensively or defensively.

    He needs to play the 2 and work out of his shooting slump and understand the NBA 3 point line isn't his range yet, stay inside of it for now and work on it in practice. But he does need to play some point because of Vasquez's lack of a lot of things.


    Back to Vasquez, his fan boys need to stop acting like he's just manufacturing these assist out of no where, pulling a Chris Paul and making scrubs look good.

    In transition he gets easy assist from Aminu and Davis, easy tosses to AD becomes easy dimes in GV's pocket, he has those handoffs to Ryno, you have a 3pt shooter like that you're going to rack up those assists on even the low percentage shots. Jason Smith is almost automatic from 16'. These guys are just open, he's not breaking down the defense to get them easy looks.

    Even Lopez has become somewhat of an automatic assist when you get it to him in the lane, facing the basket or in hook range.

    Those have been some of the easiest big assist games of i have ever seen. The guy is not generating offense for inept offensive players, they guy is getting credited for assists for easy passes to guys who are really good at what they do best.

    You add all that up with the fact that average to below average point guards abuse him on defense then you come with idea that if you can get somebody to read into his stat sheet and want him in a deal for anything good, then you deal him.

  16. #16
    A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    21,689
    It's kind of like how Rondo racked up 18 assists some nights cuz he's playing with 3 other Hall of Famers. Easy handoffs to Ray Allen for 3. Pick and pops with Garnett. Hitting Pierce backdoor. I no longer consider him overrated, but his assists are inflated.

    I don't think we should trade Vasquez at all, but we'd be a LOT better off if we could find someone good enough to push him to the bench.
    Now I do voice overs. Finally!

    Click here for my first voice demo!

  17. #17
    Could we do better than Vasquez? You will never hear me say no. For the price however I will say no. People want to poo poo on what GG does and that is fine, but he is doing as well as asked. He is playing with a lot of unproven talent around him so comparing his stats to Rondo is bunk, and saying he isn't creating is bunk too. Until (on a night in, night out basis) our scorers come to play you have to respect what Vasquez does. He is not CP3 but neither are any of the other starting pg's not named Chris Paul. He is good enough.

    On a side note, Shanle is why 50% of Saints fans are fans and not coaches. Shanle is fine. He isn't Ricky Jackson or LT but the guy is steady. The guy is always playing because the coaches will take his consistent c+ talent, and a+ determination over a+ talent and d- consistency which is what we have been getting from the guys brought in to replace Shanle. The guy isn't a star but he is solid, and that is what every team has. He is the Vaughn Johnson (enter any 3rd or 4th best lb in a 4-3 or 3-4 system) of our lb group. I wish we had. Better lb unit but I would replace others before him.

  18. #18
    Scott Shanle sucks ... I'm amazed he is still playing NFL football
    Dell Demps PLEASE get us some scorers!

  19. #19
    what would you look to trade for though? someone like a nick young or ben gordon? sparkplug offense?

  20. #20
    The Witch Doctor NemesisKING's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Ask Your Wife
    Posts
    937
    Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    Could we do better than Vasquez? You will never hear me say no. For the price however I will say no. People want to poo poo on what GG does and that is fine, but he is doing as well as asked. He is playing with a lot of unproven talent around him so comparing his stats to Rondo is bunk, and saying he isn't creating is bunk too. Until (on a night in, night out basis) our scorers come to play you have to respect what Vasquez does. He is not CP3 but neither are any of the other starting pg's not named Chris Paul. He is good enough.

    On a side note, Shanle is why 50% of Saints fans are fans and not coaches. Shanle is fine. He isn't Ricky Jackson or LT but the guy is steady. The guy is always playing because the coaches will take his consistent c+ talent, and a+ determination over a+ talent and d- consistency which is what we have been getting from the guys brought in to replace Shanle. The guy isn't a star but he is solid, and that is what every team has. He is the Vaughn Johnson (enter any 3rd or 4th best lb in a 4-3 or 3-4 system) of our lb group. I wish we had. Better lb unit but I would replace others before him.
    I guess you didn't understand what i was saying. I didn't compare him to CP, i say people like you, act as though he is CP playing next to Mo Pete, i wouldn't make a comparison like that for too many reasons. And Eman didn't compare him to Rondo, he likened what Vasquez does to what Rondo would do.

    That is, Rondon hands the ball to Ray Allen from 4 feet away from, he sinks the 3, thats an assist, But the work was done by allen moving with out the ball, getting wide open and making the shot, Rondo didn't screw it up by taking shot himself or trying to get creative in another direction with the ball. The same thing applied to Pierce with the all around game and Garnett at the rim and with the 16 footer.

    And i'm sorry but are you saying that GV's stats could be on par with Rondo's, if he only had proven talent? And our scorers don't come to play every night so he deserves respect, for what? His play was the reason we lost to the Pacers, His play was the reason the Bobcats game stayed tight, If he hadn't let Parker control the game we could have beaten the Spurs.

    Yeah he deserves respect for not dragging the team down completely to his pace and keeping up enough to not blow chances for our play makers to make plays. He's a back up with an edge, but just based on talent he shouldn't be in the league.

    If you say that Vasquez is making things happen for AD, Aminu, Anderson and Smith then you're crazy. He can't create for himself, things have to be just right for him to score, like Gordon Hayward falling down on the game winning shot. If he doesn't fall he rides Vasquez right out of bounds, he should have passed back to Anderson After the pick.

    There are times when he starts to feel himself and that feeling will cost this team games, because he doesn't have the talent to support that feeling.


    And yeah, i said it, he's not creating for anybody. I don't know what you're looking at, but those guys are finding their on spots on the floor and giving GV easy passes to make and right now he's doing what he's suppose to do, complete the play. So if you want to say he's creating go right ahead, but i'll call it what it is, we have some great young talent and GV is blowing it with them most of the time.

    I love GV's passion for the game, desire to win and it looks like he's a good team player, but i expect nothing less from a guy who wants to play in the league, but his talent doesn't justify it. Those guys all have those qualities, if they're in the league. I want Vasquez coming off my bench, but i don't want him going up against starters on a night to night basis, hell, i don't want him going up against any super subs on a night to night basis.

    To me the best out look is you have a legitimate starting PG, and GV and someone else split time at the the back up PG, depending on who we're playing and who he would be guarding.

  21. #21
    @ NemesisKing, Agreed!
    Last edited by BIGBREED; 11-10-2012 at 12:02 PM.

  22. #22
    How is this like Rondo? Where are the 3 all stars that Vasquez plays next to? He has 1 guy he can count on so far in Anderson, and thats it. While Rivers and Davis might be stars as the season progresses, Vasquez has been dishing to Anderson, Al, and Lopez, not Garnett, Allen, and Pierce. No stars here, so the Rondo comparison is bunk. If Vasquez had talent like that on this team he would have much better stats, buts its not like he has the most reliable, or well gelled cast around him. We are still in early days, so the fact he has these stats with such a cast of un-gelled talent is impressive.

    I am not saying he is creating like CP3, but nobody but cp3 is creating like cp3. I am not saying he is a great pg, or even a good pg, but he is doing his job like Shanle. Vasquez is playing very well in the system as is. Maybe if Gordon ever comes back, and Davis and Rivers stay healthy, Vasquez's stats will go through the roof, but as it is, I am happy with what we are getting, as opposed to wondering what could be if we had something else. For our current teams needs Vasquez is fine.

  23. #23
    A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    21,689
    The comparison isn't bunk because it's only a comparison, something I call similar. Never said one was equal to the other.

  24. #24
    The Witch Doctor NemesisKING's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Ask Your Wife
    Posts
    937
    I rather have guys who stats can be through the roof because of his on game, how he plays, not because of other guys. In the Nba right now, A good point guard needs great talent around him, just being good isn't enough if you only have okay, good talent or your team is young and developing. Your PG is your floor general, he has to set the pace and dictate to the defense your tempo and if the defense has found a way to stop you from getting your guys their looks then you have to be able to hit your open shots, penetrate and score, get to the line and make them pay.

    Force them to respect your game and play you accordingly.

    From what i read, GV will be 26 in January. He's not Great, he's not good, he's just okay bench guy, and talent wise that's as good as he's going to get and thats totally fine. He may become a more solid version of himself. Meaning learning his limitations, believing in running the offense and only taking with the defense gives you and not trying to play outside of your god given ability.

    He can work on his handles more so he won't lose the ball when pressured, work on becoming annoyingly automatic at the free throw line and he can work on his 3pt shot. Doing that can keep him the league for 10+ years as a key role player. But no, not as a starting PG or even a 6th man. He doesn't have the athletic ability or motor to be that guy in the league right now with the PGs that are playing now.

    We will get a taste of it next week when we play the Thunder, you know what Westbrook is going to do to him and it won't be pretty. And the worse part about it is RW won't even have to work hard on defense, so his legs are going be strong all game long.

  25. #25
    You don't need a great pg to win a title. Heck you can win a title with avg. pg play.

    All that said, there aren't an abundance of amazing (or even good pg's) on the market, and I think Del and Monty realize this. So we will be starting GV until one does become available, or Rivers puts it all together. No reason to mortgage your team for a good pg, when there aren't but a handful of pg's that can change your franchise.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •