Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: How much potential does a healthy Lopez have on this team?

Banned

How much potential does a healthy Lopez have on this team?

I'm liking the production on both sides of the court so far.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Spaniard's Avatar
    To me, Lopez is everything I hoped for. There are only a couple of true elite centers in the NBA. And even those have their flaws. You just can't beat having a young, athletic, true 7 footer at only $5 million a year. I don't think Lopez is going to be the guy that wins us a bunch of games. But he is the type of guy that would lose us a bunch of games if we don't have him, if that makes sense.

You just have to be able to match up when another team is big and physical. Like having a good run stopper in football. Lopez is going to defend, he is going to rebound, and he is going to bang with the best of them.

You can win a championship with Robin Lopez. You won't win BECAUSE of Robin Lopez, but he is a solid starting NBA center.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Spaniard View Post
    To me, Lopez is everything I hoped for. There are only a couple of true elite centers in the NBA. And even those have their flaws. You just can't beat having a young, athletic, true 7 footer at only $5 million a year. I don't think Lopez is going to be the guy that wins us a bunch of games. But he is the type of guy that would lose us a bunch of games if we don't have him, if that makes sense.

You just have to be able to match up when another team is big and physical. Like having a good run stopper in football. Lopez is going to defend, he is going to rebound, and he is going to bang with the best of them.

You can win a championship with Robin Lopez. You won't win BECAUSE of Robin Lopez, but he is a solid starting NBA center.
    Exactly man, what I love about this team is that we have bigmen who actually hustle on both sides. A lot of teams will be shocked at our length and will find that easy buckets will be difficult to come across.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    He's been everything we needed at the position and more. He's awkward but he's WAY better than Okafor in every way.

The Franchise Contributor luigi modelo's Avatar
    I agree with everything above

I like his attitude ! He plays like fiend in the paint ! Eating on boards, blocking shots and scoring at times !
    "I go so hard, I go so mean... I'm so NEW ORLEANS" - Lil' Wayne
    "We not stopping at no stores man ! We staying on the gas !" - Tyreke Evans

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    I knew we would get this kind of play out of him. He was being used horribly wrong in Phoenix. If he can stay healthy I know he will continue to produce on both sides of the ball.

I think that a healthy Lopez's biggest contribution long term could be that either he or Jason Smith can help us get something significant in a trade. The fact of the matter is that if all four guys play at their peak, there just is not enough room for all 4 bigs on this team. If Davis and Anderson log 70-75 minutes, then that leaves less than 30 for a Lopez/Smith combo. The way those two are playing, they should each be getting 20-30 MPG.

At some point, I would at least see what I could get for either of these guys and trade the one who could get me the biggest package in return. It's a luxury to have all four of these bigs, one that we can't afford if our backcourt keeps playing this poorly. Smith is the "heart and soul of this team" according to Monty and Lopez gives us something that nobody else can on this team currently, but I have faith that Dell can locate another undervalued big like he has with Smith, Lopez, and Gustavo. If somebody knocks our socks off with an offer for Smith or Lopez, I would sell while their value is at an all time high.
    @mcnamara247

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    The dude's played 4 reg season games as a Hornet and you already want to trade him just because his stock is high? lol Who cares about their mins that is a good problem for us to have that depth in case injuries or cold streaks happen.

Can't we just enjoy having a good center for a little while?????

There could be a lot of other pieces involved, but Lopez and Jennings have salaries that match in a trade. I personally don't see that as a major improvement, but there are things that certainly could be explored.

He's basically Joakim Noah, but slightly less coordinated. We could do much worse than Lopez who, at 5 million, is worth it even if his play drops off as the season rolls on.

There could be a lot of other pieces involved, but Lopez and Jennings have salaries that match in a trade. I personally don't see that as a major improvement, but there are things that certainly could be explored.
    I think we need Lopez' size on this team for the next couple of years. As much as I like Jason, I'd give him up for Jennings before Lopez if I had to make a choice, of course Warrik would be gone yesterday if I could use him...

Quote Originally Posted by DirtySouf View Post
    I think we need Lopez' size on this team for the next couple of years. As much as I like Jason, I'd give him up for Jennings before Lopez if I had to make a choice, of course Warrik would be gone yesterday if I could use him...
    I personally think a starting 7 foot NBA center at $5 million is invaluable in this league. I think he's a good compliment to AD's inside/outside game, and at 24, he's near the perfect age. I too don't think you could convince me to trade him. Anderson can steal extra minutes at SF.

Vote Voodoo! Contributor Unknown Poster's Avatar

Bingo. He's everything I expected him to be so far and a huge value as long as he stays on the court.
    "Hornets means nothing." - Tom Benson

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    I think that a healthy Lopez's biggest contribution long term could be that either he or Jason Smith can help us get something significant in a trade. The fact of the matter is that if all four guys play at their peak, there just is not enough room for all 4 bigs on this team. If Davis and Anderson log 70-75 minutes, then that leaves less than 30 for a Lopez/Smith combo. The way those two are playing, they should each be getting 20-30 MPG.

At some point, I would at least see what I could get for either of these guys and trade the one who could get me the biggest package in return. It's a luxury to have all four of these bigs, one that we can't afford if our backcourt keeps playing this poorly. Smith is the "heart and soul of this team" according to Monty and Lopez gives us something that nobody else can on this team currently, but I have faith that Dell can locate another undervalued big like he has with Smith, Lopez, and Gustavo. If somebody knocks our socks off with an offer for Smith or Lopez, I would sell while their value is at an all time high.
    What if we try to play Anderson/ Davis at some SF? Even if that opens up 20 minutes a game for the other two, that might be enough. I would not be totally opposed to trading either of those players, especially if it got us a good backcourt player in return, but we could potentially have the best overall frontcourt if we kept all four of those guys.
    "Every fight is a food fight when you're a cannibal."- Demetri Martin

@ThePraff

hes averaging 12 points per game 6rebs and 2.5 blocks!!!

Band of Skulls & Neon Trees ramsters60's Avatar
    what he has done so far has surpassed what I actually expected, so I really don't feel his potential goes far beyond what we have seen already.....and I am more than satisfied with that....
    "we might make dollars, but we don't necessarily make sense"

"always be sincere....whether you mean it or not"

Banned
    I like both Lopez and Smith, parting away with either on would be tough. But If we had the oppertunity to swap either for Jennings, I wouldnt think twice. A lineup of Jennings,Gordon(or Rivers), Aminu, Anderson,Davis would be nice on paper.

I think he's showing some real potential which is what you want and/or expect out of a younger player. However I would pump the brakes before I feel comfortable with Lopez as my C of the future. If 10-15 games from now Lopez is producing at this level I'll feel much more comfortable. Should be a fun ride either way.

Quote Originally Posted by da ThRONe View Post
    I think he's showing some real potential which is what you want and/or expect out of a younger player. However I would pump the brakes before I feel comfortable with Lopez as my C of the future. If 10-15 games from now Lopez is producing at this level I'll feel much more comfortable. Should be a fun ride either way.
    I agree.

Plus, every time Lopez attempts a hook shot, I cringe. It's so bad, and so ugly. Even his "jumper" is odd.

Granted, if he averages 12 pts 6 reb and 2.5 blocks, I don't care how ugly those shots look, as long as I don't see too many of them.

I don't WANT to trade either guy, but that is usually exactly what trades are- you trade from a position of strength for a position of weakness. If we can get a good player for just expirings, of course I would prefer that, but you usually have to give to get and I don't think the Hornets want to part with draft picks, so one of the bigs is the most logical chip if a team wants something back.

But if we build slow, add a top 10 pick in the summer and dont really spend our money, I wouldn't mind seeing the Hornets do a Nick Collison type of contract with Jason Smith where they bump him up to like $10 mil next year and then 3 mil for the next 3-4 years so that he could get the money he deserves without killing our cap in the years we are gunning for the title

What we really need is a healthy Gordon, and you would see a lot better and smoother game out of all of our Bigs, plus the way the team is playing right now it is best to keep all our Bigs, cause it is a long season and you never know when an injury might occur .... IF IT AIN'T BROKE DON'T FIX IT!!!!

I LOVE LOVE LOVE Lopez right now, him and Anderson are definitely amazing signings
    New Orleans Pelicans-Seattle Seahawks-Atlanta Braves-Anaheim Ducks

RIP HunnyB

This fits HunnyB/FlyGirl so well- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IyzTiSEfM00

It seems his game gets better every week. Looks like he is getting comfortable with that free throw line jumper and it doesn't even look awkward and slow anymore.

Maybe his brother has given him some pointers? Either way, I like it.

I will come clean. When we made the move to get Lopez I thought out loud "Yeah, this is a guy who can get a double double every night 10/10 or at worst 10/9, or something. He just needs a change of venue." But in my head I was thinking "Good lord, look at this garbage. This guys stats tell the whole story. We got the less talented brother and are hoping that association rubs off and he gets better. We will be lucky to get 5/2 from him." I am glad My head was wrong, yet my mouth was willing to fly solo.

I believe.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Thread Information