Pelicans Report

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: Would you take back a contract for Brandon Jennings?

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    Bucks GM all but admits in that article that you need top 5 picks in order to get good in the NBA. If Milwaukee is a middle of the pack team in January, I could see them pulling a Golden State from last year and trying to bottom out in order to get more ping pong balls.

But I don't see any way they take Vasquez after reading that article. A trade for Jennings would require Rivers, and as much as I like his potential I would do it. Meanwhile, Milwaukee goes young with Rivers, Henson, Udoh, etc. and is horrible for 2-3 years while they pile up the top 5 picks their GM so desperately craves
    I would have traded Rivers before the extension deadline with an extension < Max Money in place. If we do this now, we may have to swallow a poison pill contract or just lose him if not. I'm pretty torn. I'm dont have a "Rivers is untouchable" trade philosophy, but if we trade him i'd expect a guaranteed asset for longer than half a season.

I also am torn because I think WE need to suck for another season and get another top 10 pick this season.

"I don't know if people know — I dislocated my pinkie finger. And [Tyreke] told me, 'You wanna go home or you wanna be here?' I want to be here. And he said, 'All right, then go tape it up and let's play. Let's go. We not stoppin' at no stores. Straight gas. That's what we do, just keep going.'"

http://thebasketbawlblog.com/

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Spaniard's Avatar
    The thing with Jennings is he has greatness in him. I think everyone knows he has a chance to be special. He just turned 23 years old, and as has been said, he really hasn't played with a lot of help around him. The guy for all of his imperfections was 11th in PER last season amongst PG's. As we have seen this year, through three games he has averaged 17.7 points, 10.3 assists, and 4 steals a game. 4th in PER behind only Kyle Lowery, Kyrie Irving and Chris Paul.

It would be a bold move, there would be risks, but I think the possible reward would be well worth it. You have to dream big.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    Bucks GM all but admits in that article that you need top 5 picks in order to get good in the NBA. If Milwaukee is a middle of the pack team in January, I could see them pulling a Golden State from last year and trying to bottom out in order to get more ping pong balls.

But I don't see any way they take Vasquez after reading that article. A trade for Jennings would require Rivers, and as much as I like his potential I would do it. Meanwhile, Milwaukee goes young with Rivers, Henson, Udoh, etc. and is horrible for 2-3 years while they pile up the top 5 picks their GM so desperately craves
    I Honestly think they would do it for our first round pick with out second guessing the move and with out having to include Rivers. i would still want to hold on to Rivers in case Eric Gordon continues with the injury issue or if we decided to trade him.

I would love to see Rivers develop as a true shooting threat from the SG position, ala Ray Allen along side Brandon Jennings, while still having the ability to handle and drive.

And if they want Vasquez based on his stat sheet, they can have him. I would also be willing to take Larry Sanders off of they're hands for debt at the center spot, so we could maintain an energy/shot blocking guy if Davis or Lopez has to miss time, some one help us if they're ever injured at the same time. I'm just saying we wouldn't always have to play Smith or Anderson at the C, both of their games are best facing the basket.

Quote Originally Posted by BallSoHard View Post
    I would have traded Rivers before the extension deadline with an extension < Max Money in place. If we do this now, we may have to swallow a poison pill contract or just lose him if not. I'm pretty torn. I'm dont have a "Rivers is untouchable" trade philosophy, but if we trade him i'd expect a guaranteed asset for longer than half a season.

I also am torn because I think WE need to suck for another season and get another top 10 pick this season.
    I don't, i think this was the draft to get 2 picks in. Anybody we get in next year's draft will probably be late lottery, a guy that i doubt will come in and make a real impact on this team enough to justify and extensive playing time. I think we're going to Win next year and a late lottery pick is going to be at the beginning stages of his development to early to help this team win.

This team is so young that we really don't need to be adding lottery picks for the sake of just adding lottery picks. That means you're losing, and i don't see them doing that, since this young talented team won't be losing on purpose/tanking, again i think the lottery pick will be late.

If that pick is going to be late lottery, why not trade it for a player who can definitely help you starting this year, which would further cement the pick as a later pick. A player who might be around the same age as they guy you would take in the draft, because who say's we would take a 19 year old again.

No brainer if we have the chance.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    The thing about trying to get a top 10 talent is that you want the skills without paying the price. Jennings IS a top 10 talent or better. But he's going to command a hefty price.

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    The thing about trying to get a top 10 talent is that you want the skills without paying the price. Jennings IS a top 10 talent or better. But he's going to command a hefty price.
    This is why I think it's imperative to be patient and build through the draft.

We just don't have the market that allows Benson to spend effortlessly and still turn an acceptable profit.

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    $9-10 million isn't that bad for a PG of Jennings' calibre. We already have several great contracts on this team to compensate.

Quote Originally Posted by BallSoHard View Post
    I would have traded Rivers before the extension deadline with an extension < Max Money in place. If we do this now, we may have to swallow a poison pill contract
    Jennings is not eligible for a Poison Pill offer. Poison Pills are a consequence of the Gilbert Arenas rule intended to help teams keep 2nd rounders that blow up. Jennings can get more money than we're willing to pay, but it can't be structured unfavorably like Houston did to get Lin and Asik.

Dunleavy is shooting a ridiculous 82% from 3's this season.

Emeka Okafor - Joe Smith - Carmelo Anthony - Manu Ginobili - Jason Williams

Al Jefferson - James Posey - Aaron McKie - Shaun Livingston

No way. I wouldn't want Jennings without the bad contract on top of it. The guy will never win in this league. Certainly not anywhere near a top 10 point guard.

Rose
    Nash
    CP3
    Deron
    Irving
    Wall
    Rondo
    Lawson
    Rubio
    Westbrook

That's just to name a few...

Band of Skulls & Neon Trees ramsters60's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by da ThRONe View Post
    This is why I think it's imperative to be patient and build through the draft.

We just don't have the market that allows Benson to spend effortlessly and still turn an acceptable profit.
    I know nothing about anything, but I just don't believe Benson bought into this venture looking to make much (if any) of a profit right now....and I think he is willing to spend whats necessary (within some kind of reason, of course) to build a winner here....if I am wrong, then just color me naive....
    "we might make dollars, but we don't necessarily make sense"

"always be sincere....whether you mean it or not"

Thread Information