Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Would you take back a contract for Brandon Jennings?

Again, GV is a solid backup PG, he will get destroyed by the better PGs in the league and won't do much to make them work despite being 6'5. We would be a better team with GV coming off the bench with Mason, Miller, Anderson and Smith.

I'm sorry, i don't care what anybody thinks of the kid, i've seen him play and inserting him into the starting lineup next to Rivers/Gordon will make this team a legitimate threat for this season and at the age of 23 for many years to come. He's young enough that adding doesn't disrupt our youth movement.

It allows us to compete with all of the elite teams in the West that have top notch point guards or teams with the young and talented PGs, Clippers, Thunder, Spurs, Lakers, Timberwolves etc.

He would maximize Rivers, Aminu and Davis' explosiveness. He would make us almost Impossible to defend if everybody reaches their potential. Starting at the point, we'll have multiple guys who score in isolation, take the last shot, you will now have a point guard who could create offense for guys and get them open looks as well as run the sets.

You will now have another closer at the end of the game, which will make us harder to defend and make it a lot easier on the other guys Anderson, Rivers, Smith or Davis to get clean looks at the end of games.

He's been the whole bucks team since he got drafted making them a fringe play off team despite what ever deficiencies he has right now and thats with nothing around him.

He has potential to be a lock down defender at the point guard position, and he's a better defender than people might think.

I would trade a top 5 protected pick for him right now and if they want Warrick or Henry... Let'em Have it. Hell throw in Larry Sanders to back up the C spot if we need a filler to make the numbers work.

I think that should be our target, because there is no one else in that talent, price and age range that could be attainable in the next few years, free agent or draft prospect that we would have access to.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    If it were on the table, I'd gladly trade Jennings for Gordon, but the Bucks clearly wouldn't down for that, so...yeah.

Unless the Supervillain does his work again.

Vote Voodoo! Contributor Unknown Poster's Avatar
    No. Don't want this team taking on another bad contract until it gets rid of Gordon's.
    "Hornets means nothing." - Tom Benson

Quote Originally Posted by Unknown Poster View Post
    No. Don't want this team taking on another bad contract until it gets rid of Gordon's.
    What if that bad contract DOES get rid of Gordon?

Then that's fine. I was responding to the original post not your comment re: including Gordon in the deal (of course that wouldn't happen, anyway).

What is your definition of a bad contract?

Re: Would you take back a contract for Brandon Jennings?

This may have already been said, but Jennings is a bad contract.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by NemesisKING View Post
    What is your definition of a bad contract?
    Obviously it has to be judged on a case-by-case basis but I'd say anything north of $7 or so million for multiple seasons (of course even a figure as low as $3 million can sometimes mean the difference of signing a quality player or not). I'm sure 90% of the posters here will disagree with my opinion on Gordon but I don't think he ever plays more than half of a season ever again in his career. Per that understanding, you already have $15 million of cap space eaten up into a black hole.

Quote Originally Posted by Kibner View Post
    This may have already been said, but Jennings is a bad contract.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2
    So's Gordon. But at least Jennings stays healthy.

Yeah. I'd be all about this.

Lawlz at the guy who was vehemently against it because Jennings is a bad passer...then got pwned...then came back and said he's never really seen Jennings play but until he does he's going to stick with his original assessment.

As to the why not wait? Because he might not sign here. And then someone answered "well I don't want another person who doesn't want to play here". That's being extreme. Just because he might sign with another team doesn't mean he doesn't want to play here at all, just that he liked another place. He might like the idea of playing here and would be totally cool if traded but if he were a FA and there were a few teams bidding for him we might only be option #2. That's why trades happen.

Anyways, Jennings, RyAnd, and AD would be a formidable trio. IIIIIFFFFFFF Gordan comes back healthy (not holding my breath), that would be one helluva foursome. Throw in our solids in Lopez, Aminu, Smith, Mason, and hopefully Miller and Rivers keep progressing and that's a pretty ******* legit team. Until contracts start coming up a few years down the road.

I'd take Gooden for that.
    Last edited by msusousaphone; 11-06-2012 at 02:39 PM.

Just to be clear I don't have a problem with Jennings in isolation -- just with taking on another bad contract to acquire him.

Just to be clear I don't have a problem with Jennings in isolation -- just with taking on another bad contract to acquire him.
    Same here. I'd rather wait for him to hit FA if that was the case.

I'm OK with giving up a first rounder, top 5 protected for him, and him alone. Throw in Henry and Warrick, and that would be an absolute steal imo.

Jennings isn't my favorite player, but the more I think about it, the better he seems to fit with our current roster.

"I'm not going to allow my putative owner to answer that question, this is an NBA related press conference. Paul Tagliabue and Roger Goodell have collectively sung their praises of Tom and if uh ESPN has a problem with that tell Mr. Skipper to call me at my office."

Obviously it has to be judged on a case-by-case basis but I'd say anything north of $7 or so million for multiple seasons (of course even a figure as low as $3 million can sometimes mean the difference of signing a quality player or not). I'm sure 90% of the posters here will disagree with my opinion on Gordon but I don't think he ever plays more than half of a season ever again in his career. Per that understanding, you already have $15 million of cap space eaten up into a black hole.
    I understand where you're coming from, but i think bad contracts is more about the individual who's name is on a contract.

For me i thought Okafor was a bad contract, Posey, Ariza and Pedja were bad contracts. I think a bad contract can be tied to an under performing player, aging, chronically injured and generally over paid for his position or who he is.

But Brandon Jennings doesn't fit those categories in my book. He's young, still getting better, hasn't been injured at all, he's more than earned an extension from his current team by his on court play.

He's a point guard and he made his team better. He's not Chris Paul but he made is team mates jobs easier by his play, you can't say he isn't a good passer with out asking who was it that he was actually trying to pass to, did his team mates capable of making buckets with or with an assist from him.

He's not asking for it, but i wouldn't have a problem paying him 10 mill a year for 5 years, people talking about trying to get Paul back for what... 18-20 mill. With what we're putting together for the long run, i'd take the 23 year old who still can grow with the young guys we already have in place and again, a guy that Dell Demps tried to trade for last season, with Monty's blessing i'm sure.

I just can't see how you would think Brandon Jennings signing here would end up as a bad contract, given his youth, talent, on court play and non injury history.
    Last edited by NemesisKING; 11-06-2012 at 02:55 PM.

I don't think Jennings himself would be the bad contract. My understanding of the original post was that the team would have to take on a bad contract to acquire him. That said, if the Hornets acquired Jennings I would rather they kept Vasquez, moved Rivers over to the 2, and just got rid of Gordon.

Just curious. If Milwaukee can't afford to keep him and he is gone at the end of the year anyway, why should we have to take on a bad contract? Technically, we could just sign him outright. I'd only offer them Vasquez straight up for Jennings.

Very similar situation to what we did with Ayon for Anderson - gone anyway, can't afford him, so rather get something than nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by nolaslim213 View Post
    Just curious. If Milwaukee can't afford to keep him and he is gone at the end of the year anyway, why should we have to take on a bad contract? Technically, we could just sign him outright. I'd only offer them Vasquez straight up for Jennings.

Very similar situation to what we did with Ayon for Anderson - gone anyway, can't afford him, so rather get something than nothing.
    The assumption is we wouldn't think we could go right out and get him.

"I don't know if people know — I dislocated my pinkie finger. And [Tyreke] told me, 'You wanna go home or you wanna be here?' I want to be here. And he said, 'All right, then go tape it up and let's play. Let's go. We not stoppin' at no stores. Straight gas. That's what we do, just keep going.'"

http://thebasketbawlblog.com/

OP, is this a rumor that the Bucks can't afford him, or total hypothetical on your part? Just curious... I know you said hypothetical in your OP, but a lot of times these sorts of things stem from a bit of insider info.
    Last edited by nolaslim213; 11-06-2012 at 03:29 PM.

Honestly, if Gordon comes back healthy and does what he's supposed to, I would strongly think about it. Until then, I wouldn't because Jennings and Davis alone wouldn't be enough.

Emeka Okafor - Joe Smith - Carmelo Anthony - Manu Ginobili - Jason Williams

Al Jefferson - James Posey - Aaron McKie - Shaun Livingston

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Bee-Fense's Avatar
    I'd rather just take my chances come the off season. I'd rather hand out a max to Jennings and not take back Gooden. MIL wouldn't likely match a max, or they'd be willing to part ways if we gave them an asset like Greivis I believe.

I honestly don't see Greivis going anywhere for a long time. He's the Nick Collison (guard version but better) of this team. A real "glue-guy."

Quote Originally Posted by Hornets78 View Post
    Honestly, if Gordon comes back healthy and does what he's supposed to, I would strongly think about it. Until then, I wouldn't because Jennings and Davis alone wouldn't be enough.
    That's assuming Rivers doesn't develop into anything.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Bee-Fense's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hornets78 View Post
    Ryan Anderson?

Or him. This team has no shortage of young talent that could develop -- Gordon needn't be relied upon.

nah not yet at least, I like Jennings but if Gordon cant stay healthy we may need that money to get another scorer. Plus Greivis is playing great and we should see if he can keep it up

Yea with the season that Jennings is having, I don't see why they won't resign them. Plus they can match any qualifying offer. The only reason why they would get rid of him, is too completely rebuild, and I think the only way they do that is in a trade for expiring and cheap contracts with good value.
    follow me @SportsPillowTlk . I blog and have a podcast about Gulf Coast Sports, Saint, Texans, Rockets, Hornets, LSU, Cougars, Longhorns, NBA, NFL, MLB, Astros

Thread Information