Pelicans Report

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Would you take back a contract for Brandon Jennings?

Quote Originally Posted by rubicon View Post
    Yea with the season that Jennings is having.
    He's played 2 games though..

How does anyone think that a PG who has shot around 40% for his career and 30% on 3s for his career with a TO to Ast ratio of no better than average is going to lead a team anywhere. He is someone that will win you games every once in a while with his streaky shooting. Then he'll lose you just as many games when he isn't hot. He would need to show some major improvements or ability to be molded (for a good contract never overpaid) for me to have any interest. Not the kind of guy who wants to take the back seat (which he will have to) to Anthony Davis and Gordon (if he's ever healthy). I like the idea of a PG whose got handles and can pass the ball well and penetrate, maybe even spot up. We don't need a guy putting up 25 shots a game and shooting 40% while doing it.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    I think the Hornets maybe done with those "bad contracts".

I think this is a great question. I'm generally in favor of the "slow rebuild" that is focused on getting another good player in the draft, and then adding an impact free agent after next season. It's certainly also important to get a good feel for the strengths and weakness of the current team over time. They've been great so far, but let's see how things look in February. As a fan, I'm so optimistic for the future that I have no problem being patient for another year. Plus it seems wiser to "wait and see" what we really have in our current roster. Will Rivers improve significantly over the season? Will Gordon be healthy? How good is Aminu? What is Ryan Anderson's role on the team? Etc. We won't know what and how to add onto the team until the answers to these questions become clearer.

However, what if the Brandon Jennings of the first week of the season is the "real" Brandon Jennings? What if he has become one of the top ten (or top five) point guards in the league? If he is that good, and if we feel his talents will complement the current roster, then you have to consider the deal. But I sure would hate to have to take on that Gooden contract.

Quote Originally Posted by Schmide234 View Post
    How does anyone think that a PG who has shot around 40% for his career and 30% on 3s for his career with a TO to Ast ratio of no better than average is going to lead a team anywhere. He is someone that will win you games every once in a while with his streaky shooting. Then he'll lose you just as many games when he isn't hot. He would need to show some major improvements or ability to be molded (for a good contract never overpaid) for me to have any interest. Not the kind of guy who wants to take the back seat (which he will have to) to Anthony Davis and Gordon (if he's ever healthy). I like the idea of a PG whose got handles and can pass the ball well and penetrate, maybe even spot up. We don't need a guy putting up 25 shots a game and shooting 40% while doing it.
    Look up his first three years in the league vs. Tony Parker's. Across the board, if you average out the three seasons, their numbers are very similar. Both came into the league at 19. And Tony Parker had studs to play with from day one. This is why I dont consider Jennings a finished player yet- I have never seen him play with another guy who can make him better. A guy who can finish at the rim like Davis or a big who can hit the three like Ryno. Guys who will create space on the floor for him. I have seen him play in Milwaukee with guys who other defense don't respect and have watched him have to do more than he should have to. Put him on a team where he is the third or fourth option and all of a sudden the game becomes a lot simpler for him and those percentages go up.
    @mcnamara247

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    Look up his first three years in the league vs. Tony Parker's. Across the board, if you average out the three seasons, their numbers are very similar. Both came into the league at 19. And Tony Parker had studs to play with from day one. This is why I dont consider Jennings a finished player yet- I have never seen him play with another guy who can make him better. A guy who can finish at the rim like Davis or a big who can hit the three like Ryno. Guys who will create space on the floor for him. I have seen him play in Milwaukee with guys who other defense don't respect and have watched him have to do more than he should have to. Put him on a team where he is the third or fourth option and all of a sudden the game becomes a lot simpler for him and those percentages go up.
    Agreed, and Jennings has improved every year. Last year, I didn't want him on this team, but this year, I'm good with it. I think our team would intrigue him, and he would be a lockdown defender for Monty - dude is one of the quickest players in the league. I don't think he'd be as much of a chucker here - especially when Monty puts him in a "box."

By the way, he is 34.4% from 3 for his career, so I don't know what this Schmide guy is talking about.

I like Jennings too, but he and Davis aren't enough. We need Gordon in this mix and if he's not reliable, I wouldn't go all out for Jennings.

Emeka Okafor - Joe Smith - Carmelo Anthony - Manu Ginobili - Jason Williams

Al Jefferson - James Posey - Aaron McKie - Shaun Livingston

Quote Originally Posted by AD23 View Post
    He's played 2 games though..
    AND he said he's 'auditioning' so naturally he'd be playing really well.

Quote Originally Posted by Hornets78 View Post
    I like Jennings too, but he and Davis aren't enough. We need Gordon in this mix and if he's not reliable, I wouldn't go all out for Jennings.
    Why couldn't we have Jennings, Gordon, AND Davis? If we do something like Vasquez + a 1st round pick for Jennings, our roster would be:

PG - Jennings, Rivers, Roberts
    SG - Gordon, Rivers, Henry
    SF - Aminu, Miller, Henry
    PF - Davis, Anderson, Thomas
    C - Lopez, JSmith

That is a championship roster in 2 years.

Band of Skulls & Neon Trees ramsters60's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nolaslim213 View Post
    Why couldn't we have Jennings, Gordon, AND Davis? If we do something like Vasquez + a 1st round pick for Jennings, our roster would be:

C - Lopez, JSmith

I'm not so sure about Warrick, but lets keep Mason around for a little while anyway....
    "we might make dollars, but we don't necessarily make sense"

"always be sincere....whether you mean it or not"

Quote Originally Posted by ramsters60 View Post
    I'm not so sure about Warrick, but lets keep Mason around for a little while anyway....
    Mason is a nice fit with this team, and to be honest, I completely forgot about him. That was just the roster for this year ^

Warrick and Henry are gone. Thomas and Roberts are dirt cheap contracts, and I think we'll be able to re-sign Aminu to a much cheaper contract.

C - Lopez, JSmith

That trio would be great but I think he's saying Gordon might not be able to stay healthy, and we might need that Gooden/Jennings money to get another go-to guy

Quote Originally Posted by AD23 View Post
    That trio would be great but I think he's saying Gordon might not be able to stay healthy, and we might need that Gooden/Jennings money to get another go-to guy
    You can't build a team predicting that your best player will get injured. We have Rivers, who will be a big time player for us, and he can play both SG and PG. Miller can also play SG, and Mason can play Sg.

I'm saying that a healthy core of Jennings, Gordon, Rivers, Davis, and Anderson is elite.

C - Lopez, JSmith

I agree. I would do it for Gordon is healthy and reliable. If not, then I wouldn't make the move because we would still be in rebuilding mode since Davis/Jennings/Anderson wouldn't be enough in my opinion as a core.

I don't know guy's.
    I'm a bit indifferent about this.
    If Gordon stays and keeps healthy I think Jennings would be a great fit.
    However if Gordon is traded......I dont see the point in rushing things when we wont win a championship with Jennings anyway.

I'd go after him in FA or maybe trade Vasquez, Henry and Warrick or give up our first pick.

But I dont see the Bucks letting him walk.....they have enough money to offer him the max.

A team of:

PG: Jennings/Vasquez
    SG: Gordon/Rivers
    SF: Aminu/Miller
    PF: Davis/Anderson
    C: Lopez/Smith

Is bloody impressive though!

rather try and trade for monta ellis and include eric gordon in the deal

Quote Originally Posted by AUSSIE_HORNET View Post
    I don't know guy's.
    I'm a bit indifferent about this.
    If Gordon stays and keeps healthy I think Jennings would be a great fit.
    However if Gordon is traded......I dont see the point in rushing things when we wont win a championship with Jennings anyway.

I'd go after him in FA or maybe trade Vasquez, Henry and Warrick or give up our first pick.

But I dont see the Bucks letting him walk.....they have enough money to offer him the max.

A team of:

PG: Jennings/Vasquez
    SG: Gordon/Rivers
    SF: Aminu/Miller
    PF: Davis/Anderson
    C: Lopez/Smith

Is bloody impressive though!
    His already refused.. bucks said they are letting him walk

Quote Originally Posted by Pantazis76 View Post
    Interesting!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Pantazis76 View Post
    Link?

Quote Originally Posted by Hornets78 View Post
    I agree. I would do it for Gordon is healthy and reliable. If not, then I wouldn't make the move because we would still be in rebuilding mode since Davis/Jennings/Anderson wouldn't be enough in my opinion as a core.
    See to me that's a curious argument, that you would do it if Gordon is healthy, but not if he isn't. Jennings with or without Gordon doesn't throw off our rebuilding efforts since all of our core players are under 25. He's not 29,30-33, he's 23 years old and he would be worthy of what ever Dell Demps offered him.

As a young talented and explosive PG, he would fit right into our rebuilding effort, actually he would advance it, because you're adding a young guy that hasn't hit his prime yet, some one who can still help you now and help take some of the pressure off of the inexperienced guys.

Also he insures that PG won't be your undoing as you go up against the better teams, because talent for talent our front line is going to play with anybody, being experienced and crafty won't really be that much of advantage against Aminu,Davis,Lopez,Anderson and Smith.

But that will Kill us at the guard position, and with what we have on the frontline, i'll take Brandon Jennings all day against Paul, Parker, Nash, Williams, Westbrook, Rondo and all of the young, up and coming PGs and not lose sleep, because he'll give as good as he gets and those battles. You can't say the same for Vasquez, he'll be the reason, as a start we lose the battles or get taken advantage of.

Max Contract Contributor AD23forMVP's Avatar
    Link?
    Real story is he came down off the max deal and now wants 9-10 mill a year but the Bucks can't afford that, or don't want too.

That team is a mess. They are going to lose both Ellis and Jennings due to their incompetence.

Quote Originally Posted by CP3forMVP View Post
    Real story is he came down off the max deal and now wants 9-10 mill a year but the Bucks can't afford that, or don't want too.
    If. We. Could. Get. Brandon. Jennings. For. Nine. Mil. I. Would. Be. Ecstatic!

"I don't know if people know — I dislocated my pinkie finger. And [Tyreke] told me, 'You wanna go home or you wanna be here?' I want to be here. And he said, 'All right, then go tape it up and let's play. Let's go. We not stoppin' at no stores. Straight gas. That's what we do, just keep going.'"

http://thebasketbawlblog.com/

Quote Originally Posted by BallSoHard View Post
    Bucks GM all but admits in that article that you need top 5 picks in order to get good in the NBA. If Milwaukee is a middle of the pack team in January, I could see them pulling a Golden State from last year and trying to bottom out in order to get more ping pong balls.

But I don't see any way they take Vasquez after reading that article. A trade for Jennings would require Rivers, and as much as I like his potential I would do it. Meanwhile, Milwaukee goes young with Rivers, Henson, Udoh, etc. and is horrible for 2-3 years while they pile up the top 5 picks their GM so desperately craves

Thread Information