Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Would you take back a contract for Brandon Jennings?

Max Contract Contributor AD23forMVP's Avatar

Would you take back a contract for Brandon Jennings?

This is just a hypothetical since we're kind of at a dead point until tomorrow.

If Milwaukee came to us and said "We can't afford to give Jennings what he wants, so we just want to get something for him, but you have to take back one of our contracts." Would you do it?

Say something like:

Greivis
    Xavier
    Warrick

for

Jennings
    Gooden

Gooden has $20,040,000 million left over 3 seasons.

I wrote this about you Mr. West's Avatar
    Yeah, I'd do that.

No..don't want Jennings and definitely don't want Gooden. Rather stick with Greivis

I would wait, because we need to see if Vazquez can play like he has consistently and the same goes for Jennings. His numbers right now are unreal. I mean top five point guard unreal. But its only three games. I really sure that the Bucks would not do that trade also. I doubt it works on the trade machine also. But if you had to put a gun to my head in general on trying to get Jennings and eating up a bad contact, I would do it. He's young and the upside for him is pretty high. That would completely solidify the point guard area, even if we had to take a bad contract.
    follow me @SportsPillowTlk . I blog and have a podcast about Gulf Coast Sports, Saint, Texans, Rockets, Hornets, LSU, Cougars, Longhorns, NBA, NFL, MLB, Astros

Quote Originally Posted by rubicon View Post
    I would wait, because we need to see if Vazquez can play like he has consistently and the same goes for Jennings. His numbers right now are unreal. I mean top five point guard unreal. But its only three games. I really sure that the Bucks would not do that trade also. I doubt it works on the trade machine also. But if you had to put a gun to my head in general on trying to get Jennings and eating up a bad contact, I would do it. He's young and the upside for him is pretty high. That would completely solidify the point guard area, even if we had to take a bad contract.
    It does. And I'm not sure if they'd do it, but they have said he wants 9-10 per year and they can't give that to him, so basically it's either trade him or lose him for nothing.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Trell's Avatar
    Then we will be stuck with 2 PGs who cant pass well or really run an offense good. Ill pass, I rather attempt to get a guy in free-agency or something.

Quote Originally Posted by CP3forMVP View Post
    This is just a hypothetical since we're kind of at a dead point until tomorrow.

If Milwaukee came to us and said "We can't afford to give Jennings what he wants, so we just want to get something for him, but you have to take back one of our contracts." Would you do it?

Say something like:

Greivis
    Xavier
    Warrick

for

Jennings
    Gooden

Gooden has $20,040,000 million left over 3 seasons.
    No, but i would give up a top 5 protected pick this year.

"I don't know if people know — I dislocated my pinkie finger. And [Tyreke] told me, 'You wanna go home or you wanna be here?' I want to be here. And he said, 'All right, then go tape it up and let's play. Let's go. We not stoppin' at no stores. Straight gas. That's what we do, just keep going.'"

http://thebasketbawlblog.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Trell View Post
    Then we will be stuck with 2 PGs who cant pass well or really run an offense good. Ill pass, I rather attempt to get a guy in free-agency or something.
    You really underrate Jennings.

He has a scorers mentality, but he's a developing passer and can orchestrate an offense.

He'd be a great PG to pair with Davis.
    Last edited by AD23forMVP; 11-06-2012 at 10:56 AM.

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    I hate his contract but Gooden is a very underrated player in this league.

That being said, I would do that trade without thinking twice.
    Last edited by RaisingTheBar; 11-06-2012 at 10:54 AM.

You do realize that he is leading the league with 13 assists per game right now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Conroy View Post
    I feel like I'm wasting my time compared to Sound.
    Quote Originally Posted by NOLa. View Post
    I think Sound just upped the standards in the league.
    GM of the Year

What does taking on Gooden's contract do for us when we have a front line that can do it ALL...

- Ryno is a helluva rebounder AND 3 point shooter
    - AD is... well... AD
    - Smith is an athletic big that can get up the floor and make consistent mid-range jumpers
    - Lopez is a banger that can defend, rebound and score a lil bit

I don't want Jennings either... GV is gritty and has shown that he can get the team into its sets. 6'5 PGs just don't grow on trees... if we get Jennings we'd be Milwaukee with better bigs.

Then think of Gooden as strictly depth and trade bait later on down the line. Taking on the Gooden contract would be solely to get Jennings, not because we need another big. My thing though is if they have said they are NOT going to pay him, why even go through this trade ordeal? Just try to pick him up in free agency. Again I would do that trade but if its so certain they wont offer him a deal why go that route?

Quote Originally Posted by RaisingTheBrow View Post
    Then think of Gooden as strictly depth and trade bait later on down the line. Taking on the Gooden contract would be solely to get Jennings, not because we need another big. My thing though is if they have said they are NOT going to pay him, why even go through this trade ordeal? Just try to pick him up in free agency. Again I would do that trade but if its so certain they wont offer him a deal why go that route?
    Basically the same reason why the Clips went after Chris, the Lakers after Dwight, the Nets after Deron, the Knicks after Melo. I'd rather just make that move then have to get into a bidding war for his services during the offseason. Lord knows what the 9-10 mill could become.

Milkwaukee won't do this trade. Not realistic.

It may be because deep in the back of people's minds they know the chance of Jennings wanting to come here as a free agent may be very slim.

If you have to take on nearly $7 million of dead cap space on top of having to pay at least $9 or $10 million to keep Jennings, you'd be better off waiting until the offseason and paying Jennings something the Bucks won't match. Then you're only overpaying by say $2 million rather than $7 million.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Trell's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
    You do realize that he is leading the league with 13 assists per game right now.
    Oh, I didn't know of this as I haven't been watching any games besides Hornets this season do to a busy schedule. But sometimes the player or teammatr you passes to make the bucket even though it was a bad pass,I continue to see guys get assist off horrible passes/plays. So until I watch him, I'm stuck on what pilaster seen.

Quote Originally Posted by HunnyB View Post
    It may be because deep in the back of people's minds they know the chance of Jennings wanting to come here as a free agent may be very slim.
    I would rather us go after him and tell us hell no, than trade for a guy that is going to hate being here. **Insert Gordon joke**
    Last edited by RaisingTheBar; 11-06-2012 at 11:20 AM.

Oh, I didn't know of this as I haven't been watching any games besides Hornets this season do to a busy schedule. But sometimes the player or teammatr you passes to make the bucket even though it was a bad pass,I continue to see guys get assist off horrible passes/plays. So until I watch him, I'm stuck on what pilaster seen.
    And sometimes good players make shots that bad passers throw to them, but Milwakee doesn't really fit into that category.

How much better will he make us as opposed to a big time free agent we can get at another position. What is the marginal difference between GV and Jennings as opposed to a Aminu vs Iggy. I say stick with GV and maintain flexibility.

SKOL! SKOL! SKOL! SKOL! Imnos 2's Avatar
    I wouldnt do it. For me I would wait until the end of the season and re-evaluate it then. If it was Dell my off season plan would be: see where we draft, sign Josh Smith and make the bench even stronger with more depth at Center and Gaurd

I wrote this about you Mr. West's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BP225 View Post
    If you have to take on nearly $7 million of dead cap space on top of having to pay at least $9 or $10 million to keep Jennings, you'd be better off waiting until the offseason and paying Jennings something the Bucks won't match. Then you're only overpaying by say $2 million rather than $7 million.
    This is a fantastic point.

I would rather us go after him and tell us hell no, than trade for a guy that is going to hate being here. **Insert Gordon joke**
    I agree especially considering in this hypothetically scenario we have to eat Gooden's contract.

Trading for a guy who's about to be a FA isn't smart unless of course we can get him to agree to a deal before.

I wouldn't do it right now. Jennings won't be enough if Gordon isn't healthy. If Gordon can come back healthy and play well, then I may pull the trigger. Otherwise continue with a slow rebuild.

Emeka Okafor - Joe Smith - Carmelo Anthony - Manu Ginobili - Jason Williams

Al Jefferson - James Posey - Aaron McKie - Shaun Livingston

Quote Originally Posted by goat gorilla View Post
    How much better will he make us as opposed to a big time free agent we can get at another position. What is the marginal difference between GV and Jennings as opposed to a Aminu vs Iggy. I say stick with GV and maintain flexibility.
    The age factor.

Thread Information