Pelicans Report

Thread: Sean Payton working for the Hornets

Sean Payton working for the Hornets

Buried in the article about his contract:

In the interim, the league has granted Payton permission to work for Saints owner Tom Benson's NBA New Orleans team, and the suspended head coach has been doing some spot work there to earn income.
    http://m.espn.go.com/nfl/story?storyId=8592214

2012 Tom Benson is like the polar opposite of pre-katrina Tom Benson. It's really uncanny how big of a turnaround he has made.

So that's why Monty's playing at a faster pace this season

**Jason Smith bounty joke**

Every now and then he shows up and stares at everybody while saying, "Do your job." There's an uncomfortable silence for several minutes and then he walks out. Hey, the Hornets are 2-1, so it must be working...right?
    "Timing is everything. Chemistry is something that you don't just throw in the frying pan and mix it up with another something, then throw it on top of something, then fry it up and put it in a tortilla and put in a microwave, heat it up and give it to you and expect it to taste good. You know? For those of you who can cook, y'all know what I'm talking about. If y'all can't cook, this doesn't concern you."

I have to admit. There's something a bit unsettling to me about so much Saints/Hornets crossover in the higher ranks. I get the Dennis Lauscha thing. He's Benson's right hand man and might as well be part of Benson's family. I guess it's the Loomis appointment of VP of Basketball Operations that keeps me scratching my head.

It's like the Benson regime is so extremely insular that they're in on something that no one else is allowed in on.
    Support Louisiana businesses.

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    What?
    ignore that, they just said they are prepared to make Sean the highest paid coach

@LarryHolder: Jay Glazer said #Saints coach Sean Payton will absolutely remain with the team and will become the highest paid coach

Quote Originally Posted by Broadmoor74 View Post
    I have to admit. There's something a bit unsettling to me about so much Saints/Hornets crossover in the higher ranks. I get the Dennis Lauscha thing. He's Benson's right hand man and might as well be part of Benson's family. I guess it's the Loomis appointment of VP of Basketball Operations that keeps me scratching my head.

It's like the Benson regime is so extremely insular that they're in on something that no one else is allowed in on.
    I was quite frankly very nervous when it was announced that Loomis would have the same role with the Hornets. If nothing else, I would think running the Saints is a full time gig when he's not serving his suspension. The thing is, in the meantime, it doesn't seem like he's actually doing anything. I'm hoping it's just sort of a transitional thing, where Mr. Benson wanted his people in place and running the show and as time moves on Loomis will eventually have little or no role with the Hornets.

Vote Voodoo! Contributor Unknown Poster's Avatar
    It's because Benson realizes the potential that he could drop dead tomorrow and nothing would be in place so the best option is to put the established hierarchy of the team he already owned at the top of the one he just purchased. Obviously he didn't feel comfortable handing it over to his granddaughter.
    "Hornets means nothing." - Tom Benson

Jimeert Freedet 4 Prez IamQuailman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nolaslim213 View Post
    2012 Tom Benson is like the polar opposite of pre-katrina Tom Benson. It's really uncanny how big of a turnaround he has made.
    I think his wife and granddaughter had a big say/pull in his turnaround

Quote Originally Posted by Carbon View Post
    I was quite frankly very nervous when it was announced that Loomis would have the same role with the Hornets. If nothing else, I would think running the Saints is a full time gig when he's not serving his suspension. The thing is, in the meantime, it doesn't seem like he's actually doing anything. I'm hoping it's just sort of a transitional thing, where Mr. Benson wanted his people in place and running the show and as time moves on Loomis will eventually have little or no role with the Hornets.
    More than anything Benson prob wanted someone he trusted in Loomis evaluating the GM and front office he basically inherited while also keeping him on the pay role and instituting a strong "Saints like" support structure.

Perhaps once Loomis returns to the Saints full time they promote or hire someone to assume that role full time?

Thread Information