Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: My Proposal

Trade Idea My Proposal

Here is the premise - Golden State won't be able to retain Stephen Curry, so we give them a deal at the trade deadline that isn't a fair talent swap, but it's more of a "you can't retain Curry, so here is something of decent value instead of nothing." Think of it as something that is very similar to the Ayon-for-Anderson trade where Anderson is clearly the better player, but Orlando couldn't afford him.

We get Curry and Rush, and GS gets Vasquez, JSmith, Henry, and our 2013 1st round pick (top-7 protected).

Rush is gone at the end of the year anyway because he wants to start, but Golden State wants to play Harrison Barnes because he was their top draft pick. Curry is a hot debate in GS right now whether or not they want to match the max for him. He has had his injury issues for sure, and they reportedly aren't too excited that he will get a max offer from someone else - especially since they are right up against the luxury tax. If they sign Curry to the max ($13.6 million), they will have a total salary cap of over $77 million...

We already know that Demps and Monty like Curry a lot, as he was one of the main targets during the Chris Paul trade. Curry has really fallen from grace in GS because of the injuries, but that is where we swoop in and take a chance on him. I know that you guys wouldn't be excited about having 2 injury prone players on the team (Curry and Gordon), but it is worth the risk IMO.

Then, we could trade Lopez, Aminu, and Warrick for Al Jefferson - they have been looking to move him for over a year now, but nobody will bite because he has such a large contract. He is the perfect compliment to Davis, and he is still young enough to rebuild with. Lopez + Aminu + cap space should be more than enough to get Utah to bite.

Finally, sign a FA Center like Timofey Mozgov with our MLE, and bada-bing, bada-boom... contenders!

Roster/Depth Chart:

PG - Curry, Rivers, Roberts
    SG - Gordon, Rivers, Miller
    SF - Rush, Miller
    PF - Davis, Anderson, Thomas
    C - Al Jefferson, Mozgov

Band of Skulls & Neon Trees ramsters60's Avatar
    you have no idea how much I pray for one of your wishes to come true....what the Hell, why don't we just start with this one!
    "we might make dollars, but we don't necessarily make sense"

"always be sincere....whether you mean it or not"

Quote Originally Posted by ramsters60 View Post
    you have no idea how much I pray for one of your wishes to come true....what the Hell, why don't we just start with this one!
    Haha, thanks. Curry would be a great fit with Gordon, and Jefferson would be a great fit with Davis. Just makes too much sense + this way allows us to maximize our cap space much better than holding out for free agency.

Why would Utah dump Jefferson for just expirings. I would throw Rivers into the Curry deal and then throw the first in the Jefferson trade. I still think GS has enough leverage to get Rivers and a first.

Quote Originally Posted by BeeBall Reasons View Post
    Why would Utah dump Jefferson for just expirings. I would throw Rivers into the Curry deal and then throw the first in the Jefferson trade. I still think GS has enough leverage to get Rivers and a first.
    Idk man... That's a lot to give up for a player that GS can't even re-sign. I wouldn't even do Rivers for Curry straight up. Vasquez (great backup), JSmith (great backup), and Henry (expiring) + a lottery pick sounds like a pretty sweet deal to me...

And if we didn't even get anything for Kaman's expiring, do you really think Utah can get a lottery pick for Jefferson? Plus, they are getting Lopez, who is a very solid center, and Aminu who they can re-sign at the minimum + a lot of cap space. The kid is still only 21 years old. He has value as a project. That is more than enough IMO for Jefferson.
    Last edited by nolaslim213; 10-31-2012 at 01:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by nolaslim213 View Post
    Haha, thanks. Curry would be a great fit with Gordon, and Jefferson would be a great fit with Davis. Just makes too much sense + this way allows us to maximize our cap space much better than holding out for free agency.
    I have always been a huge Rush fan too....remind me again how close we we were to having him...

Damn this would be nice.

I understand the point of leveraging a deal for Curry, but no doubt they'd be getting the shorter end of the deal. I can see us making a run at Rush at the trade deadline. He shouldnt cost nearly as much. Plus I like what he brings to the table---athletic wing who can shoot the 3. Im still iffy on the Jefferson deal however. Its not bad, but I think they could do better with another team. You still have me convinced that Big Al would be the ideal compliment to Davis. I just think were underrating his trade value.

Curry is the only point guard in the upcoming FA class that I would have any interest in adding. I hope Dell still has the same love for him as he expressed during the CP3 days. Intriguing to say the least. As usual, thanks for sharing.
    Last edited by PelsFan2313; 10-31-2012 at 02:08 AM.

"I'm not going to allow my putative owner to answer that question, this is an NBA related press conference. Paul Tagliabue and Roger Goodell have collectively sung their praises of Tom and if uh ESPN has a problem with that tell Mr. Skipper to call me at my office."

Quote Originally Posted by ramsters60 View Post
    I have always been a huge Rush fan too....remind me again how close we we were to having him...
    When was this?

Quote Originally Posted by AUSSIE_HORNET View Post
    When was this?
    a couple or three years ago I think (heck, maybe even early last year?)....he was supposed to be part of a trade, but something happened at the last moment (I really can't recall the details, but I want to think "something" wasn't done in a timely manner).
    Last edited by ramsters60; 10-31-2012 at 03:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by nolaslim213 View Post
    Here is the premise - Golden State won't be able to retain Stephen Curry, so we give them a deal at the trade deadline that isn't a fair talent swap, but it's more of a "you can't retain Curry, so here is something of decent value instead of nothing." Think of it as something that is very similar to the Ayon-for-Anderson trade where Anderson is clearly the better player, but Orlando couldn't afford him.

We get Curry and Rush, and GS gets Vasquez, JSmith, Henry, and our 2013 1st round pick (top-7 protected).

Rush is gone at the end of the year anyway because he wants to start, but Golden State wants to play Harrison Barnes because he was their top draft pick. Curry is a hot debate in GS right now whether or not they want to match the max for him. He has had his injury issues for sure, and they reportedly aren't too excited that he will get a max offer from someone else - especially since they are right up against the luxury tax. If they sign Curry to the max ($13.6 million), they will have a total salary cap of over $77 million...

We already know that Demps and Monty like Curry a lot, as he was one of the main targets during the Chris Paul trade. Curry has really fallen from grace in GS because of the injuries, but that is where we swoop in and take a chance on him. I know that you guys wouldn't be excited about having 2 injury prone players on the team (Curry and Gordon), but it is worth the risk IMO.

Then, we could trade Lopez, Aminu, and Warrick for Al Jefferson - they have been looking to move him for over a year now, but nobody will bite because he has such a large contract. He is the perfect compliment to Davis, and he is still young enough to rebuild with. Lopez + Aminu + cap space should be more than enough to get Utah to bite.

Finally, sign a FA Center like Timofey Mozgov with our MLE, and bada-bing, bada-boom... contenders!

Roster/Depth Chart:

PG - Curry, Rivers, Roberts
    SG - Gordon, Rivers, Miller
    SF - Rush, Miller
    PF - Davis, Anderson, Thomas
    C - Al Jefferson, Mozgov
    Very good Slim....I love it.....your best one yet (Wish we didn't have to give up Jason Smith, but I know it needs to be realistic)

However say all those trades do happen how much do you think Curry, Jefferson, Rush and Mozgov will eat into the cap?

For Example in 2013/14:

Gordon - 14.283M
    Anderson - 8.308M
    Davis - 5.375M
    Rivers - 2.339M
    Thomas - 0.884M
    Roster filler 1: 0.5M *
    Roster Filler 2: 0.5M*
    Roster Filler 3: 0.5M*

TOTAL – 32.189M

Curry – 13.6M?
    Rush – 7M?
    Jefferson – 13M?
    Mozgov – 4M?

This would put us right at the max (70.289) I’d be worried we wouldn’t be able to retain Davis and Rivers when it comes to it.

*League min requires 12 players

Thoughts?
    Last edited by AUSSIE_PELICAN; 10-31-2012 at 03:41 AM.

Slim, I'd love it if it happened, I just don't think they're getting enough return for curry. Just bc they'd be over the cap doesn't mean they can't afford him. I think they're more likely to send off bogut or lee for animal crackers than curry, who they have a huge crush on. Again, hope it'd happen, but I'd give this slim to none chance.

"I don't know if people know — I dislocated my pinkie finger. And [Tyreke] told me, 'You wanna go home or you wanna be here?' I want to be here. And he said, 'All right, then go tape it up and let's play. Let's go. We not stoppin' at no stores. Straight gas. That's what we do, just keep going.'"

http://thebasketbawlblog.com/

If Golden State were going to dump Curry for pennies on the dollar they'd do it next offseason like the Hornets could have done with Gordon and Phoenix. It'd be stupid for them to settle for a bad deal now.

Quote Originally Posted by BallSoHard View Post
    Slim, I'd love it if it happened, I just don't think they're getting enough return for curry. Just bc they'd be over the cap doesn't mean they can't afford him. I think they're more likely to send off bogut or lee for animal crackers than curry, who they have a huge crush on. Again, hope it'd happen, but I'd give this slim to none chance.
    i just dont see golden state getting rid of curry after shipping off monta

Just my opinion, but we aren't doing a trade or a sign and trade for one of those guards (Holiday, Curry, Jennings, etc) without giving up Rivers

One of the reasons (not the main reason, but one of them) Dell drafted Rivers was that he saw how much value he had around the league. Celtics wanted to move up for him, Phoenix and Houston loved him, etc. If you are going to get an under 25 point guard in this league that has proven to be a good starter, you are going to have to give something, and that something is Rivers.

It is impossible to know exactly who it will be, but if I had to bet, I would bet we see a trade in Feb or a sign and trade in July where Jennings comes here and Rivers pairs up with Monte Ellis
    @mcnamara247

I hope not. Never liked Jennings.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post

It is impossible to know exactly who it will be, but if I had to bet, I would bet we see a trade in Feb or a sign and trade in July where Jennings comes here and Rivers pairs up with Monte Ellis
    You mean Eric Gordon, correct?

Quote Originally Posted by HunnyB View Post
    I hope not. Never liked Jennings.
    I don't really love him either. I've said for awhile not i think we need a offense initator, set-up guy that can score if needed. I don't think he fits that mold.
    Last edited by BallSoHard; 10-31-2012 at 08:55 AM.

Honestly, I'd rather just get Rush and Jefferson. It has nothing to do with Curry's injury, I just think it'd be smarter and cheaper to upgrade two positions rather than bet the farm to upgrade 3. That would leave our bench less strong.

You mean Eric Gordon, correct?

No. Rivers and Ellis on Mil. Jennings and Gordon here.

I don't really love him either. I've said for awhile not i think we need a offense initator, set-up guy that can score if needed. I don't think he fits that mold.
    Gordon is the set up guy and initiator on offense. What the Hornets want is a guy who can run the pick and roll on the other side when Gordon swings it or a guy who can hit the spot up 3 when he kicks. A true PG like a Rondo would take the ball out of Gordon's hands and limit what he does best. If the Hornets are committed to Gordon, then they want a hybrid type of guard next to him because he is a hybrid guard himself.

Complimentary pieces

Gordon is the set up guy and initiator on offense. What the Hornets want is a guy who can run the pick and roll on the other side when Gordon swings it or a guy who can hit the spot up 3 when he kicks. A true PG like a Rondo would take the ball out of Gordon's hands and limit what he does best. If the Hornets are committed to Gordon, then they want a hybrid type of guard next to him because he is a hybrid guard himself.

Complimentary pieces
    It's not Gordon i'm worried about. I think he can score whether he always has the ball in his hands or has to adjust to moving without the ball. We do agree he's best when the ball is in his hand though. I'm worried about the rest of the guys on the team, like Davis, Anderson, Chief, etc. Those are all guys who can use a true set-up man. I personally think Gordon can adjust. Also, we really do need to factor in when he misses time, because he will. Where does the offense come from at that point? All fun discussion topics.

The Franchise
    Gordon can't even get on the court......we need to worry about what his plans are before we're thinking of making any trades.

It's not Gordon i'm worried about. I think he can score whether he always has the ball in his hands or has to adjust to moving without the ball. We do agree he's best when the ball is in his hand though. I'm worried about the rest of the guys on the team, like Davis, Anderson, Chief, etc. Those are all guys who can use a true set-up man. I personally think Gordon can adjust. Also, we really do need to factor in when he misses time, because he will. Where does the offense come from at that point? All fun discussion topics.

And that is why I never wanted Gordon back. Because no matter who we get, if Gordon misses significant time, our shots at contending go out the window. But the Hornets have committed to him, and I have been told that I have to be more optimistic. So, if I am going to assume Gordon will play 75+ games, I believe that the Hornets pursue Jennings if Rivers doesnt show that he can be a Jennings-like player this year. And if you think about it, very similar players. Hornets would love it if Rivers shows this year and they have a similar player at 1/8th the cost. But if not, you go grab the real thing

Why would we go after Jennings when he has publicly stated that he would want to be in a large market??

Quote Originally Posted by jawznola View Post
    Why would we go after Jennings when he has publicly stated that he would want to be in a large market??
    The question is, would he prefer Millions or a big market team? I'm not sure which big market team can give him the a max deal or near max deal he wants.

Lakers-Nope
    Clippers Nope and they have CP3
    Houston- Nope Just Paid Lin and about to pay Harden
    Dallas- Possibility
    Brooklyn- Nope
    Knicks-Nope
    Chicago- Nope Has Rose
    Atlanta- Possibility
    Boston- Nope
    Golden State- nope- Will pay Curry before Jennings
    Philly- Nope Will pay Jrue before Jennings

So take that, then subtract teams from the total Market who already have PGs they prefer, and then subtract teams over the cap, and then subtract teams that don't like his style/ personality/ scared he wants to play in a larger market and there's not a hug market for him. Dallas, New Orleans (Maybe) Sacremento (A deal for Evans for Jennings maybe?) Charlotte and Atlanta?

Quote Originally Posted by jawznola View Post
    Go look at the large markets and tell me which one of them need a PG and/or can afford one.

I'll wait

And that is why I never wanted Gordon back. Because no matter who we get, if Gordon misses significant time, our shots at contending go out the window. But the Hornets have committed to him, and I have been told that I have to be more optimistic. So, if I am going to assume Gordon will play 75+ games, I believe that the Hornets pursue Jennings if Rivers doesnt show that he can be a Jennings-like player this year. And if you think about it, very similar players. Hornets would love it if Rivers shows this year and they have a similar player at 1/8th the cost. But if not, you go grab the real thing
    I'd love for Gordon to play 75+ games, but I highly doubt it. To me unless they see Rivers isnt fitting the bill like you said, you may as well develop him instead of paying so much for Jennings. I personally think we will have to draft another PG and Rivers will end up coming off the bench. Square peg round hole.

Thread Information