Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Rivers needs some time.

I wrote this about you Mr. West's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Silverfoxx View Post
    I said it before and i say it again..........

Austin Rivers= Reggie Bush
    Please explain.

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. West View Post
    Please explain.
    I'd like an explanation as well because Reggie is killin it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. West View Post
    Please explain.
    Well, you see, Reggie plays football, and so does Aust..... oh wait... never mind. Okay, here's one, Reggie won a Heisman, and Austin also won a heis..... darn... that doesn't work either... Alright, I got it! Rivers came out as a Freshman, and Reggie came out as a Jun.... crap... I give up. I guess there's that whole scandal thing where Rivers got his ACC All-Freshman Team honor stripped from him because he accepted illegal cash from USC alumni. Yeah! There it is! Right? ..... right?

No no no...Ive got it. Austin Rivers wanted to come to new orleans, he was ecstatic for a New Orleans team to draft him, so was reggie. Wait...thats not it either is it?

Is a Kardashian involved?

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Rivers will be fine. He won't shoot 7% for the season. He's done decently from the line. He just needs to continue playing vs this tier of talent and get the best all the vets he faces will throw at him. The game will start to slow down for him, he'll find his pace and rhythm, and that funky shot will start to drop. Won't be marksman, but he'll be fine.

I look for flashes. Signs a player shows early that gives you an idea of his ultimate ceiling. I've seen enough to say that he won't be elite, but he'll be pretty good.

Now for Davis? It actually scares me how good he's gonna be. Because I'm scared to death of him getting hurt or something bad happening in general. He's a talent that, I think, will surpass what Chris Paul was for us. Because he has the mentality that can lead us to titles. I really believe that. Chris Paul always needed a running mate. And that's what holds him back even though it's what makes him great. It's a crazy paradox.

When your best players is dependent on his teammates to excel in a league so dominated by single players, it puts a strain on things.

Davis won't need others to depend on others to make shots off his assists or put the ball in his hands at his spots on the court. He's going to carry the team by just being as instinctively good as he is. Rather than almost literally putting them on his shoulders.

TL;DR version: I think Rivers will be just fine. Davis? He's going to be a player we tell kids about 20 years from now.

Assuming he isn't still playing then. He'd only be, what? 39?

Lopez is just so much better than we all expected... Rivers is playing better tonight too, I thinks bc Rip is slow and boozer is not as quick or big as other bigs...

Lopez, man... Beast

I don't think we've scored yet when we ran our offense through our big men using an isolation at the top of the key... That just doesn't work we always turn it over in that situation... Let the guards penetrate or get closer to the rim coach

Rivers needs some time.

Get him some rondo tape. Can't shoot either. But still very effective

Rookie

So as soon as he gets traded he'll start balling so hard?

Lol I think he's insinuating that Rivers won't live up to lofty expectations, like Bush hasn't. In other words, they are both "busts." Don't get me started on Bush, Saints fans. He was not a bust. People set way too high of a standard for him, we're talking HOF play, from year 1.

In Rivers' defense, it is extremely questionable to jump to that conclusion based off of two summer league games and three regular season games, in which he was not 100%.

The kid is 19. Give him some time to grow.

I thought Rivers played his best game tonight. He played within the pace of the game, didn't take too many silly shots, and changed his speed nicely to get by the defender a few times.

You have to love his agressiveness.
    Last edited by PelsFan2313; 11-03-2012 at 10:18 PM.

"I'm not going to allow my putative owner to answer that question, this is an NBA related press conference. Paul Tagliabue and Roger Goodell have collectively sung their praises of Tom and if uh ESPN has a problem with that tell Mr. Skipper to call me at my office."

Looking at the rookies up to this point, Rivers is doing fine. The only players who are standing out so far has been Davis the Phenom and the NBA ready 22 year old Lillard. As long as he continue to progress at the pace of his class, we can't complain too much. Beal is struggling just as much as Austin with his shot. I think as long as he continues to develop his "overall" game, he's fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Nola Hornet View Post
    Looking at the rookies up to this point, Rivers is doing fine. The only players who are standing out so far has been Davis the Phenom and the NBA ready 22 year old Lillard. As long as he continue to progress at the pace of his class, we can't complain too much. Beal is struggling just as much as Austin with his shot. I think as long as he continues to develop his "overall" game, he's fine.
    Good point.

A lot of people, including myself, thought that Beal would excel at the NBA level from Game 1.

AD for MVP 2016! pmarpelicansfan's Avatar
    What I like that I've seen about Rivers so far is that he is so into every little aspect of the game. He squinched when he missed a free throw tonight, talked to himself a bit and then clapped and got excited when he made the next one.
    He's trying to be good at all the little things and thats great because in the long haul improving on all the little things will pay off.

The shooting percentage WILL increase with time. He just hasnt found his nba stroke yet, but he will. Almost every players shot/layup gets better as their young career goes on.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    To reiterate, Rivers is not 19. He's 20.

Carry on.

I'm losing confidence that his awkward shot mechanics will just improve and he can still use it. Whoever Blake Griffen worked with for his free throw mechanics, they need to get for Rivers long range shot.

He improves that, adds weight, and it will be D. Wade 2.0.

Thread Information