Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Rivers needs some time.

The Opinion Business Contributor gerryv's Avatar

Rivers needs some time.

Rivers needs time before he adapts to the NBA,he's the topic of some negative blowback from folks but, lets remember he's very young.I want to allow him to experience a larger body of work before being too harsh on him.

One year at Duke and now the NBA is a big jump.Lets observe and see what areas of his game grow.
    1-What does not move is dead.What has speed,and mobilty has more possibilities,more life...quickness creates luck.

2- Your Defense is only as good as your HELP/ROTATING defenders.

3-Games are won while the ball is in the air.

4- You design your roster to win a 7 game series not a one game confrontation.

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    Needs to grow at shooting. 7%

Band of Skulls & Neon Trees ramsters60's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gerryv View Post
    Rivers needs time before he adapts to the NBA,he's the topic of some negative blowback from folks but, lets remember he's very young.I want to allow him to experience a larger body of work before being too harsh on him.

One year at Duke and now the NBA is a big jump.Lets observe and see what areas of his game grow.
    the more realistic posters on here have pretty much been saying the same thing, Gerry....and he likely needs to experience a larger body proper as well...
    "we might make dollars, but we don't necessarily make sense"

"always be sincere....whether you mean it or not"

You can tell that he is a much more natural PG than SG in the NBA. He just creates with the ball in his hand, and he had 6 assists last game off the bench. Not bad. His scoring will increase as soon as he stops over-thinking everything.

Quote Originally Posted by nolaslim213 View Post
    You can tell that he is a much more natural PG than SG in the NBA. He just creates with the ball in his hand, and he had 6 assists last game off the bench. Not bad. His scoring will increase as soon as he stops over-thinking everything.
    People were so concerned with his discipline in the draft, but he only took a total of four shots on his second game. He realizes his offensive game is not NBA ready so he took a back seat and made alot of nice plays. He is suited better to play the point imo he isnt as selfish as ppl made him out to be. He needs to work on a shot though he is too limited offensively. He will make his money at the FT line this season.

I think his scoring will increase also. He just needs some time, like you guys said a larger body of work will tell the whole story. But I do like the direction this team seems to be heading after just 2 games. I still can't believe how Aminu as come from no where though, the first 2 games. Its great.

I'm pissed that this guy is our "scorer" off of the bench but CANT SCORE... idk man that just angers me, I know he's a rookie, but scoring was supposed to be his strength and he was supposed to have to do better at the other stuff, we're a team that gets points on a premium and we need another scorer at the guard position since Gordon is out... Rivers was supposed to be the answer but he just cant get it done... i don't care how young he is, that's supposed to be his schtick

Jimeert Freedet 4 Prez IamQuailman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jawznola View Post
    I'm pissed that this guy is our "scorer" off of the bench but CANT SCORE... idk man that just angers me, I know he's a rookie, but scoring was supposed to be his strength and he was supposed to have to do better at the other stuff, we're a team that gets points on a premium and we need another scorer at the guard position since Gordon is out... Rivers was supposed to be the answer but he just cant get it done... i don't care how young he is, that's supposed to be his schtick
    2 games in, bro. Relax.

On a permanent Holiday! Purple Haze's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by IamQuailman View Post
    2 games in, bro. Relax.
    Exactly. I also think his scoring ability was vastly over rated at Duke however. I think he'll grow into a good role here but it will take time. I hope not a ton of it.
    Wherehappens.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Trell's Avatar
    Hes more of a decoy now. He drives to the goal all the idiotic defenders tries to make a play then he dishes or his miss becomes a offensives rebound which turns into points. See? Seriously tho he just needs to finish, he gets open but don't finish. That will get better, he has it but has to unleash it.

He has started the last 2 games as sg. I am happy with here he is passing/assist wise though.

You have got to give the guy some time. I think he should have stayed in school another year personally, but if he is gonna get better you will see it as the season progresses. I still think this team has an outside shot at the playoffs even if Gordon does not come back.

Who gave him the title as our "scorer"? You may have assumed that, bt i doubt Monty was like, Austin we need 15 from you a night.

"I don't know if people know — I dislocated my pinkie finger. And [Tyreke] told me, 'You wanna go home or you wanna be here?' I want to be here. And he said, 'All right, then go tape it up and let's play. Let's go. We not stoppin' at no stores. Straight gas. That's what we do, just keep going.'"

http://thebasketbawlblog.com/

Quote Originally Posted by RaisingTheBrow View Post
    He has started the last 2 games as sg. I am happy with here he is passing/assist wise though.
    I peg starters at 30+ minutes, not who actually starts the game. Rivers has been averaging just over 26 minutes for us, so I'd consider that more of a "6th man" role. It's just semantics I guess. What really matters it that Rivers only plays with the ball in his hands for like 8 minutes a game, and that seems to be when he does most of his damage. I think you give him the ball at PG for 30 minutes a game, and he'll get you 6-9 dimes a game on average. Wait until he gets comfortable in the offense and used to the speed of the NBA game, and you'll see 15+ points.

Quote Originally Posted by Purple Haze View Post
    Exactly. I also think his scoring ability was vastly over rated at Duke however. I think he'll grow into a good role here but it will take time. I hope not a ton of it.
    I don't. In fact, I think he can be a much better scorer in the NBA because he'll have guys like Gordon, Davis, Anderson, Smith, etc. to take the pressure off of him. At Duke, he had absolutely no help offensively. Make him a 3rd or 4th option, and he'll thrive.

Vote Voodoo! Contributor Unknown Poster's Avatar
    Okay, okay, I won't throw him under the bus until game five!
    "Hornets means nothing." - Tom Benson

I peg starters at 30+ minutes, not who actually starts the game. Rivers has been averaging just over 26 minutes for us, so I'd consider that more of a "6th man" role. It's just semantics I guess. What really matters it that Rivers only plays with the ball in his hands for like 8 minutes a game, and that seems to be when he does most of his damage. I think you give him the ball at PG for 30 minutes a game, and he'll get you 6-9 dimes a game on average. Wait until he gets comfortable in the offense and used to the speed of the NBA game, and you'll see 15+ points.
    I think he needs to start moving without the ball. I've been to both games, and when he doesn't have the ball in his hands, he stands at the 3 point line waiting which clearly isn't his shot right now by the few he's grazed the rim with. Rivers needs to do this to get himself some easy buckets.

The main problem with Rivers and why he's only had some success at driving is because hes not hitting any shots. If everyone knows you're going to the basket, they'll play you that way. The NBA will adjust to you faster than you'll adjust to it. Rivers needs to get his confidence back in his shot, and actually add the NBA 3 to his game. As soon as defenders have to compensate for his shot, he will start to blow by people again.

Quote Originally Posted by BallSoHard View Post
    I think he needs to start moving without the ball. I've been to both games, and when he doesn't have the ball in his hands, he stands at the 3 point line waiting which clearly isn't his shot right now by the few he's grazed the rim with. Rivers needs to do this to get himself some easy buckets.

The main problem with Rivers and why he's only had some success at driving is because hes not hitting any shots. If everyone knows you're going to the basket, they'll play you that way. The NBA will adjust to you faster than you'll adjust to it. Rivers needs to get his confidence back in his shot, and actually add the NBA 3 to his game. As soon as defenders have to compensate for his shot, he will start to blow by people again.
    Two great points. Dead on. His game will open up once he begins to knock down his jumper. And often times for shooters, the way in which they regain their confidence in their shoot is through easy buckets. And he's not getting those due to his inability to beat his man off the dribble (possibly injury related) and because he is not moving effectively off the ball (something he can learn in time).

"I'm not going to allow my putative owner to answer that question, this is an NBA related press conference. Paul Tagliabue and Roger Goodell have collectively sung their praises of Tom and if uh ESPN has a problem with that tell Mr. Skipper to call me at my office."

Quote Originally Posted by BallSoHard View Post

Agreed. Good post.

We were in the bonus with 7.5 minutes left in the 4th. That's what Rivers can do.

When was the last time this has happened?
    Quote Originally Posted by Conroy View Post
    I feel like I'm wasting my time compared to Sound.
    Quote Originally Posted by NOLa. View Post
    I think Sound just upped the standards in the league.
    GM of the Year

Quote Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
    We were in the bonus with 7.5 minutes left in the 4th. That's what Rivers can do.

When was the last time this has happened?
    Exactly...last season, specifically Jack, would just brick jump shots in the 4th. I would constantly scream at them to just go to the hoop at the very least you'll draw fouls and keep their defense on their heels. Rivers is a big reason why Davis was able to get those free throws late in the 4th to keep it close in the Spurs game. Because Rivers put them in the bonus early. Thats an asset.

I wrote this about you Mr. West's Avatar
    He has really looked like... Something so far. Still lots if time to turn it around though.

There is no doubt in my mind that Rivers will begin to put up points. The kid is a scorer and he will get on track in a big way.

Quote Originally Posted by sipclip View Post
    There is no doubt in my mind that Rivers will begin to put up points. The kid is a scorer and he will get on track in a big way.
    Can't wait to see that. If anything I thought scoring would be the easiest this for him in the NBA. He looks like a pg he is passing first. Thought it would be the other way around.

Rivers has the talent, it is there. But the most important thing is that he has amazing tenacity and will to succeed, this is something we should value in the face of the the whole Eric Gordon mess

I said it before and i say it again..........

Austin Rivers= Reggie Bush
    CAW CAW!!!

-Founder and valuable member of the Caw Caw Boyz-

Thread Information