Pelicans Report

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Anthony Davis Being Tested For Concussion/Monty rips concussion policy

I love his passion, and his funny quotes, but he's wrong on this one. Concussions are serious business. I'd much rather AD miss a game and fully recover than threaten his future and livelihood by playing hurt.

I'll just post what I said in the other concussion thread.

Maybe. Because he say's he's not saying he doesn't like the policy and that he knows we have to protect the players but he thinks the players should have some say so in how they feel. If a player says they feel alright and there's this policy saying you MUST miss 5 games then that's what I don't think Monty would agree with. I don't know. Just my thought.

Quote Originally Posted by HunnyB View Post
    I'll just post what I said in the other concussion thread.

Maybe. Because he say's he's not saying he doesn't like the policy and that he knows we have to protect the players but he thinks the players should have some say so in how they feel. If a player says they feel alright and there's this policy saying you MUST miss 5 games then that's what I don't think Monty would agree with. I don't know. Just my thought.
    I get what you're saying. But players try to rush back to action too soon all the time (with the exception of Gordon, apparently). I think a neurologist knows more about the health of Davis' brain than Anthony himself does. I'm fine with the league mandating that a doctor give the green light--they know what they're doing; Anthony may not.

Quote Originally Posted by greewe View Post
    I get what you're saying. But players try to rush back to action too soon all the time (with the exception of Gordon, apparently). I think a neurologist knows more about the health of Davis' brain than Anthony himself does. I'm fine with the league mandating that a doctor give the green light--they know what they're doing; Anthony may not.
    I agree. Especially about players trying to rush back too soon. I'm just trying to explain the part Monty doesn't agree with. I didn't say I agree with him.

Come on guys. Football is one thing, Basketball is another. I don't think AD will be in a position to take multiple shots to the head. I hope this new concussion rule is being applied across all of NBA because last year Kobe Bryant suffered a concussion on Feb 26 and played 3 days later without missing a game. I hope the rules are applied evenly no matter how glamourous your team is.

Jim Eichenhofer ‏@Jim_Eichenhofer
    Monty said Anthony Davis "is still under evaluation. He still has to get testing done" before he can potentially be cleared to play.

Quote Originally Posted by Nola Hornet View Post
    While I agree with Williams, I don't agree with the delivery. He could have put it in a more sensitive tone.
    Not being sensitive was the point. So why to deliver it sensitively ?

"I don't know if people know — I dislocated my pinkie finger. And [Tyreke] told me, 'You wanna go home or you wanna be here?' I want to be here. And he said, 'All right, then go tape it up and let's play. Let's go. We not stoppin' at no stores. Straight gas. That's what we do, just keep going.'"

http://thebasketbawlblog.com/

I was like dang Monty, try to get to the point a little more won't you. Straight to the point. BAM.

I was like dang Monty, try to get to the point a little more won't you. Straight to the point. BAM.
    The guy is never shy. You know you're getting the truth no matter how blunt it is. I like it.
    "Every fight is a food fight when you're a cannibal."- Demetri Martin

@ThePraff

Quote Originally Posted by P Raff View Post
    The guy is never shy. You know you're getting the truth no matter how blunt it is. I like it.
    And you're right about that. LOL.

More on this...

What’s so insidious is that a player like Davis may not show any outward symptoms of a concussion -- none of the headaches, nausea or short-term memory loss often associated with such injuries -- and still be injured on a metabolic level. If it were up to Nowinski, Davis would be sitting for at least 10 days following his injury.

This is serious stuff, and the irony here is that Williams himself has experience with the danger of a player returning to action too soon. Just last season, Hornets center Jason Smith came out of a game after taking a knock to the head, only to return to action later in the contest and receive a second blow. After the game, Smith was diagnosed with a concussion. He was not cleared to play again for nearly six weeks.

As the days dragged on and Smith still couldn’t return to action, Williams regretted his role in the young center’s ordeal. “I'm kicking myself on putting him back in the second time," said Williams. “I'm not going to let that happen again. I don't care how many games we lose."
    http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/pos...he-only-choice

At this point in his career, you sit him for however long it takes. You look at a guy like Jhavid Best, who still can't play football over a year later, and you realize how serious these things are. Like the article said, Jason Smith missed six weeks last year. Even the slight possibility of that outweighs the definite that a player will miss a week to recover. If AD misses 3 games, so be it.

I'm sure he'll be out until the doctors give him clearance.

New Orleans Hornets' Anthony Davis remains under evaluation for a mild concussion

New Orleans Hornets rookie power forward Anthony Davis remains under evaluation for a mild concussion and there is no timetable on his return.

Davis, the No. 1 overall pick in the June NBA draft, suffered a mild concussion in last Friday’s game against the Utah Jazz and missed the only opportunity to play in his hometown of Chicago this past Saturday when the Hornets defeated the Chicago Bulls 89-82 at the United Center.

"He’s got to have testing done,’’ Hornets Coach Monty Williams said after Monday's practice. "He was in practice today, but he’s still being evaluated.’’

Davis was seen near the end of practice Monday at the Alario Center with his practice gear on, joking with teammates.
    http://www.nola.com/hornets/index.ss...ie_ant_24.html

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    For a mild conclusion? This is crazy. The doctors better clear him for the game Wednesday.

Vote Voodoo! Contributor Unknown Poster's Avatar
    Rather be over cautious on this one.
    "Hornets means nothing." - Tom Benson

Wasn't Jason Smith our for like two weeks with a light concussion last season?

Quote Originally Posted by CarnbY View Post
    Wasn't Jason Smith our for like two weeks with a light concussion last season?
    More like a month.

Max Contract Contributor AD23forMVP's Avatar
    Smith's concussion was serious though, Davis won't even be out half a month.

Infact, I expect him to get cleared and play tomorrow.

I know everyone and every injury is different but I think James Harden missed like 2 games after that vicious elbow from the artist formerly known as Ron Artest.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    I know everyone and every injury is different but I think James Harden missed like 2 games after that vicious elbow from the artist formerly known as Ron Artest.
    It's strange how the injuries that look severe usually aren't. Deuce McAllister blew out his ACL jumping and missing a simple overthrown pass. Knee looked like it barely buckled.

Austin Rivers ankle had his whole body weight fall on it at an awfully painful looking angle. Didn't miss a game.

So strange how the human body works.

Jim Eichenhofer ‏@Jim_Eichenhofer
    Monty said R.Anderson "more than likely" will start Wed.: "Anthony (Davis) still has to go through his progression and is under evaluation"

I may never get to see AD play in a regular season game.

FOX Sports New Orleans
    Anthony Davis listed as "doubtful" for Wed. game (still undergoing concussion tests) and Monty Williams rips NBA's concussion policy - http://bit.ly/XhdxmT - What do you think about the NBA's policy, reasonable or too much?

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Trell's Avatar
    All this for that lil *** hit? He said hes alright so let em play!

SKOL! SKOL! SKOL! SKOL! Imnos 2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CP3forMVP View Post
    I may never get to see AD play in a regular season game.
    I feel your pain bro...

Thread Information