Pelicans Report

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Thread: Yahoo: Gordon Back in 4-6 Weeks

Honestly, who cares? We weren't going to win a title this year. Gordon being out gives our rookies game time, without expectations. Not a bad position for a couple of 19/20 year olds.

If in 6 weeks he returns and balls like crazy fantastic! If in 6 weeks he demands a trade, so be it. Let's cross that bridge when we get there.

Take out all of the speculation and your personal biases. He was injured when we signed him, he has never played a full season. Why are we made at Gordon for that? He didn't offer the contract to himself, Hornets' brass did.

Here are all of the options as I see them

A) Gordon does not want to be here and is faking/milking this injury and will force a trade in 6 weeks. This is clearly the most common belief, but to me it is the most unlikely. What is he gaining from these actions? Do you think he is happy right now? Do you think he doesn't realize that he is creating a stigma against himself right now? One that he will be forced to battle his entire career. All reports state that he is the first one to the gym and the last one to leave everyday. This does not sound anything like faking/milking to me. All reports state that he is rehabbing very hard.

B) Gordon has minor pain that he won't play through / was paid doesn't care anymore. This is the 2nd most prevalent theory. This is more likely to me than option A, but I still don't buy it. Pro athletes are ultra competitive. Even with more talent then any human on the planet, you still have to work nonstop and dedicate your life to make it to this level. That competitive fire doesn't just snuff out. In some cases it may, but not for a young guy that has yet to accomplish anything. He practices three times last week, full practice - full contact. Monty stated he was amazing on the court. Do you believe that his pain is not that bad, but he would rather just sit on the bench and get boo'd to death? To basically become a prisoner in his own home because he will receive negativity everywhere he goes? Again this is unlikely to me.

C) His knee is causing him a lot of pain, and he is worried about his long term career / comfortability in normal living for the remaining 50 years of his life. This is the option I am choosing. Very unpopular I am aware. I don't doubt that he is soft. I don't deny the reports he didn't want to be here. But options A and B both seem like they do more harm than good to Gordon, so I just don't believe he would willingly go those routes. I think his knee is hurting. We have all heard the stories about NBA Dr's and their track record for diagnosis. Tyson while here, Grant Hill, etc. Is it possible that he is now excited about the Hornet's future? That he sees he is the missing piece for success? Is it possible that he is only trying to protect himself and the team by making sure that playing now will not cause permanent damage? He rested all preseason and training camp. He tested the knee out the week before the season started...... Doesn't that seem like the normal course of action for recovering from injuries? I'm pretty sure that is what everyone in every sport does. You rehab/rest. You test it out, lightly at first and the full go. Why is everyone freaking out about this? He tested the knee, and it hurt a lot worse than it should have. Now he as sought new medical opinions. He has given us a timeline of 4-6 weeks.

I expect to see him on the court then. Am I ultra-naive? We will know in 6 weeks.

U-L-M...Geaux Hawks Geaux djpaul89's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bongzilla View Post
    Honestly, who cares? We weren't going to win a title this year. Gordon being out gives our rookies game time, without expectations. Not a bad position for a couple of 19/20 year olds.

If in 6 weeks he returns and balls like crazy fantastic! If in 6 weeks he demands a trade, so be it. Let's cross that bridge when we get there.

Take out all of the speculation and your personal biases. He was injured when we signed him, he has never played a full season. Why are we made at Gordon for that? He didn't offer the contract to himself, Hornets' brass did.

A) Gordon does not want to be here and is faking/milking this injury and will force a trade in 6 weeks. This is clearly the most common belief, but to me it is the most unlikely. What is he gaining from these actions? Do you think he is happy right now? Do you think he doesn't realize that he is creating a stigma against himself right now? One that he will be forced to battle his entire career. All reports state that he is the first one to the gym and the last one to leave everyday. This does not sound anything like faking/milking to me. All reports state that he is rehabbing very hard.

B) Gordon has minor pain that he won't play through / was paid doesn't care anymore. This is the 2nd most prevalent theory. This is more likely to me than option A, but I still don't buy it. Pro athletes are ultra competitive. Even with more talent then any human on the planet, you still have to work nonstop and dedicate your life to make it to this level. That competitive fire doesn't just snuff out. In some cases it may, but not for a young guy that has yet to accomplish anything. He practices three times last week, full practice - full contact. Monty stated he was amazing on the court. Do you believe that his pain is not that bad, but he would rather just sit on the bench and get boo'd to death? To basically become a prisoner in his own home because he will receive negativity everywhere he goes? Again this is unlikely to me.

C) His knee is causing him a lot of pain, and he is worried about his long term career / comfortability in normal living for the remaining 50 years of his life. This is the option I am choosing. Very unpopular I am aware. I don't doubt that he is soft. I don't deny the reports he didn't want to be here. But options A and B both seem like they do more harm than good to Gordon, so I just don't believe he would willingly go those routes. I think his knee is hurting. We have all heard the stories about NBA Dr's and their track record for diagnosis. Tyson while here, Grant Hill, etc. Is it possible that he is now excited about the Hornet's future? That he sees he is the missing piece for success? Is it possible that he is only trying to protect himself and the team by making sure that playing now will not cause permanent damage? He rested all preseason and training camp. He tested the knee out the week before the season started...... Doesn't that seem like the normal course of action for recovering from injuries? I'm pretty sure that is what everyone in every sport does. You rehab/rest. You test it out, lightly at first and the full go. Why is everyone freaking out about this? He tested the knee, and it hurt a lot worse than it should have. Now he as sought new medical opinions. He has given us a timeline of 4-6 weeks.

I expect to see him on the court then. Am I ultra-naive? We will know in 6 weeks.
    Very objective insight.

Personally I'm not high on the conspiracy theories (A & B) either for the reasons you state, but the frustrating part to me is that a supposedly "minor" knee bruise from the beginning has sat him weeks & months at a time and the lack of transparency/accuracy with what is really going on with him. His presence would really bring this collection of guys together into a special squad, but he's still out after 5 scenarios of "He'll be back soon! ...J/K, six more weeks!!"

It's just a general impatience thing with me.

Vote Voodoo! Contributor Unknown Poster's Avatar
    I care about having the cap be saddled with $15 million of dead weight for the foreseeable future. I don't understand why, given his history, people are optimistic this guy can come back and play on anything resembling a consistent basis.
    "Hornets means nothing." - Tom Benson

Re: Yahoo: Gordon Back in 4-6 Weeks

Post of the day.

Sent from my MB611 using Tapatalk 2

TLDR

"I don't know if people know — I dislocated my pinkie finger. And [Tyreke] told me, 'You wanna go home or you wanna be here?' I want to be here. And he said, 'All right, then go tape it up and let's play. Let's go. We not stoppin' at no stores. Straight gas. That's what we do, just keep going.'"

http://thebasketbawlblog.com/

Quote Originally Posted by djpaul89 View Post
    Very objective insight.

Personally I'm not high on the conspiracy theories (A & B) either for the reasons you state, but the frustrating part to me is that a supposedly "minor" knee bruise from the beginning has sat him weeks & months at a time and the lack of transparency/accuracy with what is really going on with him. His presence would really bring this collection of guys together into a special squad, but he's still out after 5 scenarios of "He'll be back soon! ...J/K, six more weeks!!"

It's just a general impatience thing with me.
    Great post!
    I too think it is option C.
    The guy is 23......he doesn't want to be another Brandon Roy.

All-Star
    its funny how this dude was healthy for the Olympic tryouts but hurt when the regular season started hmmmmm

Quote Originally Posted by Unknown Poster View Post
    I care about having the cap be saddled with $15 million of dead weight for the foreseeable future. I don't understand why, given his history, people are optimistic this guy can come back and play on anything resembling a consistent basis.
    do you want him to come back?

Quote Originally Posted by BallSoHard View Post
    TLDR
    TLDR; Gordon is faking, being a vag or really hurt, we'll find out in 6 weeks. Till then...PLAY ALL THE ROOKS!!!

Last edited by LoCo89; 11-03-2012 at 06:22 PM.
    HR SIM LEAGUE: MEMPHIS GRIZZLIES

Mod over at reddit.com/r/NOLAPelicans

Quote Originally Posted by bojangles837 View Post
    do you want him to come back?
    I want to win $500 million in the lottery. Doesn't mean it's going to happen. The best option for this franchise going forward would be to wash their hands of the situation/dump his contract. So, if you're asking me do I want a guy back who I think will play maybe 25-30% of the time max at $15 million a year? My answer is no.

Quote Originally Posted by NO_Bound View Post
    This guy just doesn't want to play for this team. I question the front office for giving this guy a max contract to chill on the sideline. Should have let him go to Phoenix and moved on.
    I agree.

Yahoo: Gordon Back in 4-6 Weeks

Hoping to get a little First Take love this week. I knew I could get Stephen A to take up the cause. Love him or hate him his show is far reaching.

Edit: Please retweet.
    Last edited by RhythmNathan; 11-04-2012 at 08:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MyLanta View Post

Hoping to get a little First Take love this week. I knew I could get Stephen A to take up the cause. Love him or hate him his show is far reaching.
    You just made Allyson Meaux mysteriously famous around here for the stalkers... no stalker.

Go ahead and stalk away. She follows no one, has no followers, and has an exclusive offer just for me moments after Stephen A tweeted me. I'm so excited!

Go ahead and stalk away. She follows no one, has no followers, and has an exclusive offer just for me moments after Stephen A. tweeted me. I'm so excited!

It's for discount viagra.

Thread Information