Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: AL FAROUQ AMINU

Quote Originally Posted by AUSSIE_HORNET View Post
    So now that the team hasn't excercised Aminu's option does this mean we now have to go into a bidding war for his services next season?
    Providing he keeps up his improved play that is.......do we still have dibs on his services for 2013/14 and beyond?

How does that all work?

Thanks
    If I understand correctly... he becomes a RFA at the end of the season... which means we'll let him test the market... and depending on the offer he gets we can either match it or let him walk

Quote Originally Posted by rt0307 View Post
    If I understand correctly... he becomes a RFA at the end of the season... which means we'll let him test the market... and depending on the offer he gets we can either match it or let him walk
    Bingo.

"I'm not going to allow my putative owner to answer that question, this is an NBA related press conference. Paul Tagliabue and Roger Goodell have collectively sung their praises of Tom and if uh ESPN has a problem with that tell Mr. Skipper to call me at my office."

Quote Originally Posted by rt0307 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by NOH2313 View Post
    Bingo.
    Thanks

So in other words we just brought his QO forward a year instead of waiting until 2014/15?
    I this right?

Basketball Guru
    Turns on radio.....now playing The o'jays.....Song..money,money,money...money.

Would you rather have AFA or Evan Turner?

Quote Originally Posted by NOH2313 View Post
    Bingo.
    No, that's wrong. He will become an unrestricted free agent at the end of the season.

Quote Originally Posted by Enjulio View Post
    No, that's wrong. He will become an unrestricted free agent at the end of the season.
    So we will have to compete against other teams then?
    I bet AFA really shines this season and then we have to over pay to keep him.
    3.8M for a starting SF isn't too expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by Perth_Hornet View Post
    Would you rather have AFA or Evan Turner?
    Exactly!
    Philly already picked up Turners option for 6.7M and the Hornets were worried about 3.8M for AFA.

Hope this doesn't bite us in the arse.

Look, I am as excited about Aminu as anyone, but it is because of his improved defense. His rotations are spot on, his energy is sky high and he is contesting everything.

But I don't expect the offensive evolution to be sustainable. He is 17 of 18 at the rim (layups and dunks) but 2-14 everywhere else. Couple that with a turnover percentage that is sky high (19.2%- he led the league last year, and that was at 17%) and I think we should slow down a bit. Teams will get word in their scouting reports and lock in on him in transition. Beyond that, the playoffs are a half court game and he is still a poor half court player offensively.

As I said, though, the improvement defensively is fantastic and there is no reason to believe thatis a fluke. In fact, I expect it to get even better as the season goes on.
    Last edited by MichaelMcNamara; 11-04-2012 at 07:10 AM.
    @mcnamara247

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    I dont think him not being extended had anything to do with his play. This is his first year as a starter. Only his 3rd in the league. Just a natural progression with good coaching.
    Great post.
    The most overused words on Pelicansreport.com. Wrongly, I might add.

ELITE - (often used with a plural verb) the choice or best of anything considered collectively, as of a group or class of persons.

GREAT - notable; remarkable; exceptionally outstanding

These words should not be used lightly

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    Look, I am as excited about Aminu as anyone, but it is because of his improved defense. His rotations are spot on, his energy is sky high and he is contesting everything.

But I don't expect the offensive evolution to be sustainable. He is 17 of 18 at the rim (layups and dunks) but 2-14 everywhere else. Couple that with a turnover percentage that is sky high (19.2%- he led the league last year, and that was at 17%) and I think we should slow down a bit. Teams will get word in their scouting reports and lock in on him in transition. Beyond that, the playoffs are a half court game and he is still a poor half court player offensively.

As I said, though, the improvement defensively is fantastic and there is no reason to believe thatis a fluke. In fact, I expect it to get even better as the season goes on.
    Locking in on him in transition is a simpler said than done. In the heat of the moment are they going to crash on him and not cover Vasquez or Rivers? And once Davis comes back he'll be the other guy running the floor.

Long-term, if he keeps up this defensive intensity, a frontcourt involving Aminu and Davis is absurdly long, athletic, and difficult to shoot over. I'm excited to watch this team as they get more comfortable playing defense together.

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    Locking in on him in transition is a simpler said than done. In the heat of the moment are they going to crash on him and not cover Vasquez or Rivers? And once Davis comes back he'll be the other guy running the floor.
    Not saying teams are going to be able to shut him out, just that it is unrealistic to expect him to get 5.7 layups/dunks a game for the rest of the year. When that number stops to drop, his points and FG% will plummet with it, but the defense will remain and in my opinion he is playing at an All-NBA level when it comes to that side of the ball
    Last edited by MichaelMcNamara; 11-04-2012 at 08:54 AM.

The Opinion Business Contributor gerryv's Avatar
    Aminu has been playing hard and running the floor with bursts of energy.i still want him to further develop his "put it on the floor game" and get to the lane/rim off the dribble.

a- 9 of his pts per game come off the fast break (67% of his scoring)
    b-90% of his total pts are in the paint.
    c- his defense has moments of improvement but,still has room to grow as he allows 12 pts per game in his match ups.

I like how he is changing ends of the floor and giving effort etc in a THREE GAME body of work.Consistency and improvement is what I will measure. So far a nice 3 game start...lets monitor the defensive improvement and continued offensive play.

Be careful as you observe and evaluate players,a few bright moments should not cloud the need to string several good moments together. Effort must = results.
    Last edited by gerryv; 11-04-2012 at 10:06 AM.
    1-What does not move is dead.What has speed,and mobilty has more possibilities,more life...quickness creates luck.

2- Your Defense is only as good as your HELP/ROTATING defenders.

3-Games are won while the ball is in the air.

4- You design your roster to win a 7 game series not a one game confrontation.

the way it should work is we do not wait till the end of the year. time after time players say lack of communication was the problem in these situations.

not renewing has nothing to do with it. miller's prescence has nothing to do with it. young dude's rarely get it guys. monty has known the WHOLE DANG TIME.

the guy (monty)can develop talent. its just that the g.m.'s and fans of the world wanna declare bust way too early.

a lot of guys only learn via experience mixed with a special organ connected to their arse that connects to the bench. the formula has worked thus far. aminu will average 13.0 and 6.5 boards this year at least

His biggest improvement this season has been his ability to control his athleticism, IMO. Last year, every time he went up in the air he would stumble and not be able to finish. This year, it's been the opposite, both on offense and defense. Once he develops a shot, if he can, he's gonna be a great double threat. Worst case scenario, he's an elite defender and an average offensive player.
    "Every fight is a food fight when you're a cannibal."- Demetri Martin

@ThePraff

Ok, someone skilled in photoshop/editing needs to make a 'sig' with Al-Farouq's face in place of Will Smith's in a Fresh Prince of Bel-Air photo. And over Bel-Air, have it say 'Nigeria.' It'll be golden, for real.

He's balling he's really showing me something this year.

For those lamenting us not picking up Aminu's option, they are missing the bigger picture. We declined both options to allow us to go after the BIG FISH in the offseason.

Quote Originally Posted by ImSorryMonty View Post
    For those lamenting us not picking up Aminu's option, they are missing the bigger picture. We declined both options to allow us to go after the BIG FISH in the offseason.
    Agreed. I think we sign somebody big, then we re-sign Aminu with our MLE.

Quote Originally Posted by ImSorryMonty View Post
    Going after that big fish and signing that big fish are two different things. What if Aminu continues to grow the entire season and gives you what you want at the 3 spot. Do you still go after a higher cost 3 in FA? A bird in the hand...

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    I don't expect the offensive evolution to be sustainable.
    I wouldn't even say its an evolution. It's the same old Aminu but Monty's changed the game plan to maximize his strengths and minimize his weaknesses. Teams will not be hot and heavy after him. The MLE is the most a defensive wing that can't shoot or dribble is getting, no matter how productive he is for the Hornets. If he stays this productive most of us will be happy to resign him for $5 million per.
    Last edited by BP225; 11-04-2012 at 11:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    Going after that big fish and signing that big fish are two different things. What if Aminu continues to grow the entire season and gives you what you want at the 3 spot. Do you still go after a higher cost 3 in FA? A bird in the hand...
    Let's say we sign a young vet like Brandon Jennings with our cap space. We still have the MLE that we can use on Aminu, and I wouldn't pay a nickle more than that for Aminu anyway. The guy still has serious holes in his game, and he has a very good relationship with Monty. I think he knows that staying here would be the best move for his career because his style meshes with Monty's system.

a couple things to straighten out

1) aminu will be an unrestricted free agent, not a restricted one

2)we won't have a MLE since we will be under the cap

Quote Originally Posted by CP4MVP View Post
    a couple things to straighten out

1) aminu will be an unrestricted free agent, not a restricted one

2)we won't have a MLE since we will be under the cap
    From what I understand, we would still have the MLE even if we are under the cap so long as we are signing him and going over the cap. You can see it here:

http://www.shamsports.com/content/pa...exceptions.jsp

For instance, if we were at $57 million and the cap is $58, we couldn't sign Aminu outright. However, if we use the MLE, we can go over the cap because of this exception. I believe that's how it works, but I'm not 100% on that.
    Last edited by nolaslim213; 11-04-2012 at 11:41 PM.

Thread Information