Pelicans Report

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: AL FAROUQ AMINU

Quote Originally Posted by nolaslim213 View Post
    From what I understand, we would still have the MLE even if we are under the cap so long as we are signing him and going over the cap. You can see it here:

http://www.shamsports.com/content/pa...exceptions.jsp

For instance, if we were at $57 million and the cap is $58, we couldn't sign Aminu outright. However, if we use the MLE, we can go over the cap because of this exception. I believe that's how it works, but I'm not 100% on that.
    I don't even think we need the MLE, he's our player. Bird years.

We sign whoever we want, then sign him because we should be able to sign him even if we are over the cap. (If he has enough Bird years, can't remember how long it takes)
    Quote Originally Posted by Conroy View Post
    I feel like I'm wasting my time compared to Sound.
    Quote Originally Posted by NOLa. View Post
    I think Sound just upped the standards in the league.
    GM of the Year

Quote Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
    I don't even think we need the MLE, he's our player. Bird years.

We sign whoever we want, then sign him because we should be able to sign him even if we are over the cap. (If he has enough Bird years, can't remember how long it takes)
    I think it's 3 years, but I thought we waived those rights when we didn't pick up his option?

Dr. 42, a little clarification please?

Pretty sure Aminu will be eligible for early bird exception, as he will have played for us for two years, meaning we could sign him to NBA average contract (like 5 million) despite being over the cap. Not sure if we can both sign into cap space then use the exception.

Quote Originally Posted by nolaslim213 View Post
    From what I understand, we would still have the MLE even if we are under the cap so long as we are signing him and going over the cap. You can see it here:
    We wouldn't have THE MLE, we'd have A MLE, the cap room MLE which is $2.5 million rather than $5 million. Still, it's going to go down one of 2 ways. You either land your big fish like Iggy or CP3 and hope you can keep Aminu for $2.5 million, or you swing and miss on the big fish and outbid people for Aminu even if he gets $5 million MLE offers. I just would be shocked if the Hornets wanted to keep Aminu and couldn't unless they got a max level FA in which case most people won't care about losing Aminu.

Re-signing him is definitely a must. I'm so glad to see his improvement over the course of 1 year playing in New Orleans' system.

Remember fellow Hornets it takes time to grow into your full potential playing in this sport. Give rookies and other young players time to grow.

You could have early Bird rights, but you would have to keep his cap hold to use them, which would negate the whole reason we didn't pick up his option in the first place.

So...

Let's say we go into the offseason with Henry, Warrick, and Lewis falling off the books. Also, let's imagine we draft 10th and have a 2 million dollar cap hold for our pick. In that scenario, we would have two options with Aminu

1.) Release his early Bird rights. Now we just have a cap hold of about 600,000 for every empty roster spot and that puts us in a position to sign a guy to a contract starting out at about 15 million per.

2.) keep his early bird rights with a cap hold that is 130% of his salary from this previous year. So, the cap hold would be about 4 million. Meaning that we could start another free agent at a deal around $10 million and then come back and sign Aminu.

If the Hornets really want to go after a big fish and think they have a chance, the play would be to renounce his Bird rights and then come back to him later if they missed on that guy or if they got him, come back and use an exception. If they don't see a big fish they like, they can keep his rights or sign him to a mult-year deal right away and still go and sign a guy to a contract similar to what they signed Ryno to.
    @mcnamara247

Unless Gordon comes back and lights it up, I wouldn't go after a big fish at all unless it was an elite scorer at SF (not Iggy) and that won't happen. Without Gordon, this team is still in a rebuilding mode. Doesn't make sense to sign Iggy without an elite wing score next to him. In fact, it would be a huge mistake.

Emeka Okafor - Joe Smith - Carmelo Anthony - Manu Ginobili - Jason Williams

Al Jefferson - James Posey - Aaron McKie - Shaun Livingston

Depends on how old the big fish is IMO. Iggy- no thanks, he will be declining half way through the contract. But a guy like Josh Smith who is just entering his prime, I would pay for that.

AL FAROUQ AMINU

Anyone figured out what's going on with afa haircut? Rewatching the bulls game and his fast break off and def is awesome to watch.

I think Aminu is a RFA

Quote Originally Posted by nikkoewan View Post
    I think Aminu is a RFA

Since we had an option on him and declined it, he's unrestricted.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    Depends on how old the big fish is IMO. Iggy- no thanks, he will be declining half way through the contract. But a guy like Josh Smith who is just entering his prime, I would pay for that.
    He's really a PF. Doesn't have nearly enough perimeter skills to play the wing. Wouldn't be a great fit unless he could consistently defend wing players, which I don't think he can. Plus, he's better suited to roam around the paint. Where would he fit with Davis and Anderson already on this team?

Yea I also don't think that Josh Smith would fit this team, unless Davis plays center... which from the looks of it doesn't seem to be the plan. Its really too early to tell what positions that we need to upgrade, cause so far Robin Lopez, Aminu, and Vazquez have played really really well. But will it last for the rest of the season? I doubt it. I think point guard and center will be the main questions this season. Other than CP3 (who we will not get), the point guard market is bare dry. there are some decent players like Calderon, but no big names. For center, Al Jefferson is the biggest name out there. But I agree with Hornets78, the move for a big name should only be made if Gordon lights it up and we are in contention.
    follow me @SportsPillowTlk . I blog and have a podcast about Gulf Coast Sports, Saint, Texans, Rockets, Hornets, LSU, Cougars, Longhorns, NBA, NFL, MLB, Astros

Brandon Jennings is the one player at the pg position that i think we can go after and might fit well our system

Quote Originally Posted by rubicon View Post
    Brandon Jennings is the one player at the pg position that i think we can go after and might fit well our system
    That all depends on how Rivers progresses. And if Eric Gordon ever plays a game. With a fully healthy team, we have Rivers, Gordon, and Vasquez, and Roberts competing for a combined 96 minutes. If Austin Rivers turns out the way many of us think he will, I see no need to go after a guy like Jennings. That might jut hamper Rivers' production.
    "Every fight is a food fight when you're a cannibal."- Demetri Martin

@ThePraff

Trade Vasquez to Houston for Donatas Motiejunas (Demps loves this guy), and I think Houston will bite because they are ridiculously stacked in the post, and they have no backup PG. Then, sign Jennings with our cap space in the off season, and re-sign Aminu with our MLE.

PG - Jennings, Rivers, Roberts
    SG - Gordon, Rivers, Miller
    SF - Aminu, Miller
    PF - Davis, Anderson, Motiejunas
    C - Lopez, JSmith, Motiejunas

I wrote this about you Mr. West's Avatar
    Where did you see that Demps like D.Mo?

Quote Originally Posted by rubicon View Post
    Yea I also don't think that Josh Smith would fit this team, unless Davis plays center... which from the looks of it doesn't seem to be the plan. Its really too early to tell what positions that we need to upgrade, cause so far Robin Lopez, Aminu, and Vazquez have played really really well. But will it last for the rest of the season? I doubt it. I think point guard and center will be the main questions this season. Other than CP3 (who we will not get), the point guard market is bare dry. there are some decent players like Calderon, but no big names. For center, Al Jefferson is the biggest name out there. But I agree with Hornets78, the move for a big name should only be made if Gordon lights it up and we are in contention.
    To each their own, but to me Josh Smith would take this team to another level, and for the small things that might be a bit of a problem, I think of the overwhelming benefits that would make this team unstoppable. Defensively, you would have length and shot blocking that would be unmatched in the league. Those three might have problems covering a wing like Durant or Lebron, but who doesn't. Actually, that is the ideal front line to cover guys like that IMO. You have Smith guard them tight on the perimeter, not allowing open looks and then if those guys get by him you got AD protecting the rim like Chandler did when Dallas won the title and stiffled both of those guys.

Offensively, you got a knock down shooter paired with those guys who can hit the mid range and rim run at an elite level. If Davis adds some post moves to his game, that is the most unguardable front line in the league. Believe me, I love Jennings but if given the choice I would steal Josh Smith- a top 15 player in the game IMO and develop Rivers or trade Smith in a package to get a lead guard. Guys like Smith are impossible to find

I don't see Atlanta letting him leave. Not an option imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. West View Post
    Where did you see that Demps like D.Mo?
    A few insider tips. Plus, I know that he went to Europe to personally scout him a few years back (along with a couple of other players). There were big time rumors that he was trying to get him in the Chris Kaman deal, but it fell through - PM me if you want to know why. Not sure that I want to let this out on the main board yet.

To be clear, though, I haven't heard anything about a Vasquez for DMo trade, but it makes sense both financially and basketball personel-wise for both teams. Obviously, DMo isn't playing in Houston, and they just traded for Cole Aldrich. Terrance Jones isn't even playing - that's how deep they are. Too many bigs, and they have no depth in the back court. Vasquez makes a lot of sense, and Motiejunas would be a great pairing down the line with Davis. Pure speculation on my part though.

To each their own, but to me Josh Smith would take this team to another level, and for the small things that might be a bit of a problem, I think of the overwhelming benefits that would make this team unstoppable. Defensively, you would have length and shot blocking that would be unmatched in the league. Those three might have problems covering a wing like Durant or Lebron, but who doesn't. Actually, that is the ideal front line to cover guys like that IMO. You have Smith guard them tight on the perimeter, not allowing open looks and then if those guys get by him you got AD protecting the rim like Chandler did when Dallas won the title and stiffled both of those guys.

Offensively, you got a knock down shooter paired with those guys who can hit the mid range and rim run at an elite level. If Davis adds some post moves to his game, that is the most unguardable front line in the league. Believe me, I love Jennings but if given the choice I would steal Josh Smith- a top 15 player in the game IMO and develop Rivers or trade Smith in a package to get a lead guard. Guys like Smith are impossible to find
    Josh Smith is a good player, an athletic freak. Probably the poor man's Lebron James, if there is one. But he has some baggage. With all the crap that Gordon has brought over, not sure this city would put up with another diva like Smith. Its constancy more than anything that plagues Smith. Remember, for some reason Josh Smith thinks he can knock down three pointers, I still don't know why he hasn't gotten a memo about that. Apart from that everyone knows this guy can play and I think he would fit in Monty's defensive system. but from what we've seen in the small sample size, we need a playmaker in the backcourt, in the future. Sigh... I just wonder what a heathly motivated Gordon would look like with this team.

Speaking of Aminu, he had the #1 block of the week.

http://www.nba.com/video/channels/to...a_12_twitter_L

AL FAROUQ AMINU

I think afa and robin are fighting for MIP this year.

Quote Originally Posted by HunnyB View Post
    Speaking of Aminu, he had the #1 block of the week.

http://www.nba.com/video/channels/to...a_12_twitter_L
    He blocked that right into ryan anderson's throat and his throat made a flawless outlet pass to greivis

Quote Originally Posted by Shelbywmccarty View Post
    Anyone figured out what's going on with afa haircut? Rewatching the bulls game and his fast break off and def is awesome to watch.
    Aminu will regress immensly at times this season. But yal hang in there with him. Letting him play with Anthony Davis for two more years should have them both peaking at the same time; hence ensuring Davis returning.

tyreke evans (underachieving + can help gordon defensively)
    eric gordon
    aminu
    anderson
    davis

one of these PG's will be free next year

jeff teague, tyreke evans, mario chalmers, brandon jennings, stephen curry, ty lawson, darren collison,

Thread Information