Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Eric Gordon Unable to Give Clarity on Knee Injury

Blog Entries

Eric Gordon Unable to Give Clarity on Knee Injury

Eric Gordon seemed to contradict himself in regard to his now indefinite knee injury, stating initially that there is nothing*structurally*wrong, *but later saying that there likely is. Perhaps the biggest one line bombshell is that he doesn’t know “at all” if or when he’ll be back this season.*He went out of his way to repeatedly state how frustrating this is for him, and how dedicated he is to this team and this city.

Gordon opened his availability with a brief statement–

“It’s an honor and privilege just to be part of this organization as a player, I know things haven’t been going as well as far as my status of*being*injured as far as I’ve been here. I have had recurring injuries, a knee injury, since I’ve been here and it’s just tough as a player to go through these things…”

“As a player I look forward to helping this franchise and I always look out for the best to help this team win. It has been frustrating, very frustrating, as a player not to do your job every day. I only played 9 games last year and I haven’t played a game this year. I haven’t played a preseason game. It’s just frustrating to watch the guys play and me not being a part of it. So that’s what I wanted to start out with. I know from a fans perspective this is frustrating for them, but as a player it’s most frustrating for me and this organization. So I just wanted to put it out there cuz I know it’s tough, but it’s almost all on me and this is an injury that I’m battling with. It’s just a tough time right now for me. and I’m just going through it. This is a great city and a great organization and I definitely want to be a part of it, but being a part of it for me is made playing and *what’s preventing me form playing is having this injury.”

He said later that he didn’t have any structural damage, but that he might have some structural damage, a rather clear contradiction to those of us in the room. He’s had MRI’s recently that revealed that he’s ok, but he also said that he’s in a lot of pain. He also said that despite the fact that he’s not waiting for the results of any new MRI’s nor dose he plan to have any, he’s hoping to know a lot about the injury after this weekend.

As for whether or not he suffered a setback between Olympic trials and training camp, he said “sorta”.

He added that he doesn’t know “at all” if or when he’ll be back this season.

Just what Hornets fans wanted to hear…

On a personal note, it’s clear this is tough for him, so perhaps we should try to be a bit more understanding about an injury that none of us have the training and access to properly diagnose.

More...

I hope ya'll at least got free lunch out of this 'availability' session.

Quote Originally Posted by HunnyB View Post
    I hope ya'll at least got free lunch out of this 'availability' session.
    They sorta did.

It was a pretty good lunch.

Blog Entries
    Here's the vid-- Not sure why it didn't embed

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6SDt...ature=youtu.be
    audaci favet fortuna (Thanks, Harvey)- Fortune favors the bold.
    R.I.P. to HunnyB/FlyGirl
    Bourbon Street Shots
    Saints247
    @GerrityJoe

My Real Estate Brokerage--WeSellNola.com
    My Vape Stores-- Crescent City Vape

Very good stuff Joe. I know it's hard for most to do. But I am going to give him the benefit of the doubt. Hopefully they can figure out what's going on.

Joe, do you expect him to be out for the remainder of the year? That was his most puzzling comment. How can there be no structural damage, yet he is not sure if he will return this year?

Vote Voodoo! Contributor Unknown Poster's Avatar
    Waste of money. He's run out of 'benefits of the doubt' from me.
    "Hornets means nothing." - Tom Benson

Quote Originally Posted by Unknown Poster View Post
    Waste of money. He's run out of 'benefits of the doubt' from me.
    That's understandable. I don't blame you at all.

I just can't see how a person would sit out when he can't be traded. If he is a 12 year old in disguise It would make sense.

What's the more rational explanation? Do we really believe that he's some kind of mystery of medical science? But I'm not putting it all on him because, ultimately, he didn't write himself a contract. Matching was a huge mistake. A sign and trade for anyone would have been the better option. This man is far too brittle to justify the money they handed him.

What's the more rational explanation? Do we really believe that he's some kind of mystery of medical science? But I'm not putting it all on him because, ultimately, he didn't write himself a contract. Matching was a huge mistake. A sign and trade for anyone would have been the better option. This man is far too brittle to justify the money they handed him.
    You have never heard of doctors misdiagnosis or of missing things before? I know these are great doctors and all but it has happened.

Hill opened up about that period to Fox's Jason Whitlock, and said the medical attention he received while with the Detroit Pistons and Orlando Magic played a big factor.

Hill says that during his final season in Detroit, in 1999-2000, he was diagnosed late in the season with a bone bruise, but that it turned out to be a broken ankle bone. Adds Hill:

"I even found out that certain team doctors were questioning whether I was really hurt, thinking I was soft or whatever . . . At that time, when I found out I had broken my ankle, as crazy as this sounds, I was relieved. I finally had some confirmation, I finally had proof that I'm really not making it up."

Hill had surgery and signed a $92 million free agent contract with Orlando and was in the lineup and opening night, coming back way too soon.

"The next day the doctor who performed (my) surgery picks the paper up and saw that I played like 30 minutes and he was irate. I wasn't supposed to be on the court doing basketball-related activity until December. So somewhere along the line, the ball was dropped. And certainly I didn't know that until the doctor informed me of that. Apparently he had forwarded all the information down there to Orlando. I was told to follow the instructions."
    I could find you more examples but somebody else brought this on up. SO there.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    If he suspects it to be more damaged than it he was told, nothing is stopping him from seeing James Andrews. It's not complicated. Misdiagnosis hinge on the correct diagnosis eventually being given. Until such event happens, I won't assume that.

Quote Originally Posted by Luke's Hornets View Post
    You have never heard of doctors misdiagnosis or of missing things before? I know these are great doctors and all but it has happened.

Good stuff here on Hill. The main and probably ONLY difference is that no one has ever believed that Gordon wants to be here. Yeah, yeah, yeah. I know. It was Gordon and no one BUT Gordon that made people feel this way but the difference is, no one ever questioned whether Grant Hill wanted to play for his team or not. At least I don't think they did. People don't think Gordon wants to be here. If he's not on the court for whatever reason, it's because he doesn't want to be here. This will be all people know. Nevermind that he missed many games because of injuries when playing for the Clippers. He didn't just get to New Orleans and was suddenly injured. He had injuries there. Difference is, he never said anything about his heart being elsewhere while playing for the Clippers. From now on, whether he does or doesn't, the perception will always be that if he's not on the court, he doesn't want to be here. Heck, I think even if he IS on the court there will always be that thought that he doesn't want to be here among some.

Quote Originally Posted by Luke's Hornets View Post

Only thing I took away from that story is: it's better when it is someone else's problem. Let another team deal with his elusive knee. Hornets don't need him. Unfortunately now his trade value is basically zero. Hell you might not even be able to offload his contract.

Well people are saying he's not really hurt and is just sitting out because he doesn't want to be here so I'm sure there's got to be some GM/team out there that will make Demps an offer right? Teams take disgruntled players quite often don't they?

Well people are saying he's not really hurt and is just sitting out because he doesn't want to be here so I'm sure there's got to be some GM/team out there that will make Demps an offer right? Teams take disgruntled players quite often don't they?
    A disgruntled player is easier to move than an injured player... unfortunately Gordon appears to be both. Toss in that he is one game into a max deal and its hard to picture a trade that New Orleans would find remotely appealing.

They should probably just play hard ball with him until he gets over it.

The problem is I doubt any outside GM will know the absolute truth and the current market perception is this guy can't stay on the court. Eight or nine games last season and possibly zero this year? Attitude aside what would you offer for a guy like that... who also comes at a $15 million a year price? I will be relieved if the Hornets can just dump him off for some expirings/not just trade him for more bad contracts that will prevent the team from signing a free agent or two down the road.

Quote Originally Posted by phrazbit View Post
    A disgruntled player is easier to move than an injured player... unfortunately Gordon appears to be both. Toss in that he is one game into a max deal and its hard to picture a trade that New Orleans would find remotely appealing.

They should probably just play hard ball with him until he gets over it.
    Baron Davis had just gotten a nice contract too right? Maybe we can trade Gordon and get a Speedy Claxton back.

I'm going to cut him some slack as well. Some more slack, I should say. I've had knee tendonitis so painful I've had to hop to the bathroom in the morning. You can cut down the swelling and tenderness with medication, but the problem is it comes right back if you don't lay off it. I've gone through a cycle of many months like that. Gordon may now have a chronic knee condition. Not his fault and not great news, but sometimes it can be treated and managed and even clear up. Though, as they are saying, there is no time table for that to happen.

My feelings are less about Eric Gordon the person rather Eric Gordon as the asset/player to this organization. As the latter, he's borderline worthless at this point. Not worth the headache anymore. Time to ship him off and move on with our young nucleus. This team has plenty of young talent such that it doesn't need to saddle itself with a max contract guy who never steps on the court. It needs to be dealt with December 15th so it doesn't hinder cap flexibility going forward.

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    If he suspects it to be more damaged than it he was told, nothing is stopping him from seeing James Andrews. It's not complicated. Misdiagnosis hinge on the correct diagnosis eventually being given. Until such event happens, I won't assume that.
    Exactly...and my thing is...if this is supposed to be your career wouldn't you take the initiative to go out on your own and get multiple opinions. Hell Kobe went to Germany to get his fixed. If you keep getting the same diagnosis from one guy that says he sees no damage but you still feel pain don't wait until the last minute to say something. You're making too much money not to make an appointment on your own or demand the team bring in another guy to check it out. And IMO I don't think that the Hornets haven't brought in multiple doctors. It just seems strange to me that you can misdiagnose something for that long....

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    Not ALL athletes go to Dr. James Andrews. Any idea why that is?

They must be crazy because he's DR. JAMES ANDREWS!

They must be crazy because he's DR. JAMES ANDREWS!
    That's why I've always wondered why ALL players don't go to him. People say he's the best. I'd want the best. Did Dr. Scott Montgomery perform Gordon's surgery back in February?

Irrational Optimist Contributor neworleanshoo's Avatar
    clear as mud.

glad he provided that insight.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Not ALL athletes go to Dr. James Andrews. Any idea why that is?
    Practicality. Also, irrelevant as I don't know a single other surgeron by name. Get a second diagnosis.

Oh. You were being sincere and not sardonic. Yeah. He's probably crazy expensive and people willl say they're just as good as he is but cheaper.

Thread Information