Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Post Game thoughts

On a permanent Holiday! Purple Haze's Avatar
    He means the Birdman, of course.
    Wherehappens.

Quote Originally Posted by Imnos 2 View Post
    I looked at this game from one standpoint and one standpoint only. Potential. I was impressed at what I was seeing from the team as a whole. I mean these guys were playing like a team. I like that! They were unselfish, working to find the best shot on offense. They got better defensively as the game went on. This game proved to me that if Gordon was out there, this would have been a win. I am a little concerned about the liability of Vasquez on defense. However, having Gordon could help him. I was impressed with Lopez. I thought he had some nice post moves. I mean he isnt going to be 20 and 10 guy. I dont know if you need him to do that. But a 10 and 10 guy, yes. He had 8pts and 9 boards. I liked how Smith played. Great energy. Fearlessness. And I am not too worried about Anderson. I think he will be fine. Shooters have off nights. But he got good looks. As far as Rivers. I think he will come around. He definitely isnt a starter at this point. I think he just needs to calm down. Its seems when he has the ball in his hands he is trying to do too much. Playing at much slower pace and excellerating and playing faster when the defense allows will make him a better player. I do think that once he realizes that he needs to put two hands on the ball when driving to the lane for a layup or floater he will convert more often than not. Overall, I think the future is bright.
    Agree on every single point. Well written post

I really enjoyed this game. Our guys played hard against a veteran contender and it came down to the last minute literally. It was a loss but it was still a great game and effort all around.

As for Rivers...his stat line was ugly and he's going to need to put on some weight to be able to take that punishment in the lane....but him drawing those fouls set up Davis being able to hit all those free throws late in the game. Even if he cant finish at the rim right now....his driving to the basket helped us keep it close because it got us to the line. To me thats an asset. Once he puts some meat on his bones and develops a pull up jumper, and he will, he's going to be really dangerous. I also thought he looked slightly gimpy on his ankle but he fought through it and kept driving and he hustled (I thought him fight in the ground with Steven Jackson for that loose ball was great.). I like the fact that Rivers knows he's going to have to work...and like I've said I think Gordon not being on the court and him getting thrown into the fire is a great way for him to learn.

Gravy suprised me cuz i thought it would be turnover central last night but he played very well....he's going to struggle on defense because he lacks the speed but if he plays smart like he did last night he'll be ok. He's not going to face a Tony Parker caliber every night. Jason Smith....I LOVE that guy! If the Chief has arrived...he better be here to stay....and Lopez and the rest of the bench was solid.
    Last edited by Miss_318; 11-01-2012 at 08:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by WhoDatHornet View Post
    I was questioning a couple of Monty's rotations.
    I think we'll do this all season. There are 4 capable bigs and only enough minutes for 3 and a half, especially if Aminu and Miller play well enough to keep most of the SF minutes.

I'd like to see the Hornets play as effectively against a more athletic team like OKC or Denver, but last night was very encouraging.

Compared to my pregame thoughts, we played awesome.

Compared to my inflated halftime "oh my gawd we're going to winz the league omgzzlqlalzzazlzllz" it was disappointing.

But I came back to reality and really enjoyed that game. So much fun to watch. We obviously could have done quite a few things to win (close out perimeter D, cut TOs down) but the biggest that stayed in my mind was just that if RyAnd could have knocked one or two more in, ball game Hawnits. I fully expect him to turn his slump around. It's easy to get into the "was ALWAYS get great 3pt shooters and then they suck here" but it's just one game.

That's it, though. If we pretend that Gordon will be back and that him and Manu cancel eachother out, then we can also pretend we just went toe to toe with the Spurs and only lost by a few 3pters Anderson would usually make.

Very nice game. Extremely entertaining. I wish I could be making the games. That place should be packed for the forseeable future.

Anderson shot 43% on his 3's in the preseason. He'll be fine. We know shooters have those games where they can't hit for anything and other times it's like they can't miss. I was hoping he would've knocked down at least half of his shots last night. Hornets likely pull out the win if so.

Also, during the preseason we had been winning the rebounding stat. Last night we ended up even. A few more rebounds for us and it could've been a different end result.

When it comes down to it, 3rd quarter meltdowns are a result of one coach making adjustments and another not. If we are a team with consistent 3rd quarter meltdowns, it shows that Monty doesn't have the team prepared to come out and play in the 2nd half. Something to watch for as the season goes on.

Quote Originally Posted by dcoop View Post
    Davis isn't playing hard on defense.

This is the truth. He looked completely lost out there on defense. I would say he looked like our worst defender for most of the game. I think this had a lot to do with Monty keeping him out. We got on a roll without him. The Hornets were -20 with Davis in the game for example. It was just his first game. It was a great executing team that we were playing and he will be great.

That J looked smooth

Quote Originally Posted by The JNR View Post
    When it comes down to it, 3rd quarter meltdowns are a result of one coach making adjustments and another not. If we are a team with consistent 3rd quarter meltdowns, it shows that Monty doesn't have the team prepared to come out and play in the 2nd half. Something to watch for as the season goes on.
    It was a complete lack of intensity that got us in that hole on the 3rd quarter. They got complacent.

I don't know what it is about those 3rd quarters. It was like that BEFORE Monty was coach and we had different players. Like I said last night, it makes me wonder what they do back there at halftime.

I'm anxious for tomorrows game. Can't wait to watch these guys again.

Maybe I was watching a different game in reference to Monty's rotation last night. Those individual that is concern with Monty's rotation wasn't viewing the Spur playing Steven Jackson at PF and going to small ball. That alone caused a matchup problem. As great as AD was, Steven Jackson was having his way with him. I believe Ryno matched up against Steven Jackson in the second half. I believe it was important for AD development for Monty to sit him during that time. At the start of the third quarter just like the other starting five, he was caught up in the moment. As we will see during this season, our second unit will demand minutes on the floor especially Ryno and Smith. I'm not concern with AD sitting last night because he just happens to play a position which is our strength plus depth. We have four quality bigs (AD, Lopez, Smitty and Ryno). I believe if given minutes, Hakim would be a major contributor as well. Great game and this was the best lost with potential I've ever seen a Hornets' team perform. Love my Hornets!

Irrational Optimist Contributor neworleanshoo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bongzilla View Post
    Take away the 2 3's he made and he had zero impact.
    that's a pretty ridiculous comment.

If Gordon comes back and stays healthy and motivated this is a playoff team and a dangerous playoff team that the high seeds will want to avoid in the first round.

We are so athletic and our big man rotation is one of the best in the league!

Would read again.

Davis seems so damn composed from a rookie praised as the next coming of Jesus Christ.

Devil's Advocate: A lot of it had to do with the Spurs. Let's face it. They're experienced vets. They're going to be good this year. Assuming they stay healthy, they're a lock for the playoffs. Those kinds of teams don't play as hard in the season as they do in the playoffs. They just don't. They pick the intensity up when it gets close to playoffs and try to maintain that throughout the postseason. If we remove the ugly teal colored glasses (which will be changed soon ), it really looked like we came out from the start with playoff intensity and they were too relaxed. They came out after the half and matched our intensity and that's when we saw that we're just inexperienced and not together as a team.

AND WE SHOULDN'T BE. I mean. That was pretty much the same Spurs from last year. This is an entirely new squad. The more we play together the more cohesive we'll be. But that game meant more to us than it did to them. Had this been a playoff game, the Spurs would have played like they did in the 3rd qtr for most of the game.

I love our guys and they will be awesome further down the road, though.

I think a lot of people are overlooking how tight the overall team chemistry was. In my book, this is a win. I mean, our young noobies just lost by 5 to arguably the second best team in the league. There's 81 more games. Count us in for the 8th seed... With or without Gordon.....

Wow. I didn't think anyone was wearing teal colored glasses in this thread. I don't think I saw anyone say anything like "we're better than the Spurs and should have beaten them". We COULD have beaten them though. Losing by 4 points to an experienced Spurs team is nothing to be ashamed of.

That game was a blast. We should have won but still very enjoyable. There is a lot to build on and we should get progressively better. I am very excited to be a Hornets fan.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bongzilla View Post
    Mason - why did he play almost 30 minutes? Take away the 2 3's he made and he had zero impact. I don't want to see him on the floor at all.
    Given that we brought him in solely to hit 3s and be our only player over 30? I'm perfectly fine with that. And it was either him or X who doesn't seem to be aware he has a right hand.

The game looked like a young team versus a veteran team.

I think you are going to see Davis' minutes controlled for the first quarter of the season. Remember, he is 19 and only one year removed from 7 minute quarters for 30 games a year. he will be doing a lot of time on the pine as he gets into NBA shape.

I think Rivers' shot will eventually come. What I like is he seems to have a basketball mind out there.

Aminu needs to get consistant and needs to think a little more.

If Davis can develop that D West 18 footer...he will be a total beast.

I liked that the seemed to take better care of the ball than they did in the pre season.

To use a football term, they "lost contain" way too much on defense. That's how the Spurs kill you and they fell for it way too much.

Quote Originally Posted by HunnyB View Post
    Wow. I didn't think anyone was wearing teal colored glasses in this thread. I don't think I saw anyone say anything like "we're better than the Spurs and should have beaten them". We COULD have beaten them though. Losing by 4 points to an experienced Spurs team is nothing to be ashamed of.
    Calm down much.

That's wasn't an attack on anyone at all. Just saying if we totally remove ourselves from just seeing how our team was doing and look at the game as a whole.

Kinda the same thing with my first post where I said I expected Anderson to come out of his slump and then you replied to me telling me that he'll be fine.......that's cool and all....I'm glad we agree and stuff....just not sure why you're replying like we're not.

Are we in a polticial race against each other?
    Last edited by msusousaphone; 11-01-2012 at 11:47 AM.

You have no idea how calm and laid back I really am.

I thought it was a great result. The team showed potential and it was a tight game with 2 minutes to go. Davis is going to be a beast and I dont care about what the stat line shows for Rivers this year. He has shown 2 things that make me happy as a fan; 1) he gets to the FT line and 2) he plays hurt, something not all NBA players do.

Quote Originally Posted by ramsters60 View Post
    I have to agree....he can give a better effort defensively then he did last night....
    He was the same way in the pre season, I thought it was just because it's preseason. He will never average 2 bpg with that effort on defense, that's pitiful for what was supposed to be his calling card.
    looking for team to bandwagon, pls help

Quote Originally Posted by dcoop View Post
    He was the same way in the pre season, I thought it was just because it's preseason. He will never average 2 bpg with that effort on defense, that's pitiful for what was supposed to be his calling card.
    I think the matchup with Diaw kept him away from the rim this game.

"I don't know if people know — I dislocated my pinkie finger. And [Tyreke] told me, 'You wanna go home or you wanna be here?' I want to be here. And he said, 'All right, then go tape it up and let's play. Let's go. We not stoppin' at no stores. Straight gas. That's what we do, just keep going.'"

http://thebasketbawlblog.com/

Thread Information