.
Pelicans Report
 
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 26 to 49 of 49

Thread: Hornets Decline Option on Chief, X

  1. #26
    Mostly Harmless 42's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Between 41 and 43
    Posts
    4,900
    Quote Originally Posted by CP3nDX30 View Post
    are they still restricted FAs?
    To be restricted you have to be on one of those deals without options in the second round OR have all your options picked up.

    So, no.
    __________
    "Aime la vérité, mais pardonne à l'erreur." - François-Marie Arouet (Voltaire)

  2. #27

    Hornets Decline Option on Chief, X

    Damn I'd rather keep afa and get a good center


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    #QUAILS MOM

  3. #28
    Quote Originally Posted by Nola Hornet View Post
    When you don't pick up a players option on a rookie contract, it's pretty clear to me that they are not part of your future plans.
    After the Hornets obtained forward Jason Smith from the Philadelphia 76ers in a trade in 2010, they did not pick up his option but still re-signed him before the start of last season when he agreed to a three-year deal that pays $2.5 million per season.
    http://www.nola.com/hornets/index.ss..._river_default

  4. #29
    Pretty cool. Mr. West's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    'Round Shreveport
    Posts
    3,497
    I wonder what we think Aminu's value is?

  5. #30
    Quote Originally Posted by Metairie Hornet View Post
    Jason Smith wasn't productive until he signed his extension. A lot of fans were puzzled by it. And they got him cheaper so that was nice. As for Aminu, he's an elite rebounder and solid defender. Most teams are already aware of his abilities and his potential. This isn't like Jason Smith's case at all.

  6. #31
    The Mad Titan    Contributor   
    BallSoHard's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    13,726
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. West View Post
    I wonder what we think Aminu's value is?
    Gone are the days of paying players like this well above market value because he"might" be good someday . I'm all for stuff like this.

  7. #32
    Quote Originally Posted by Nola Hornet View Post
    Jason Smith wasn't productive until he signed his extension. A lot of fans were puzzled by it. And they got him cheaper so that was nice. As for Aminu, he's an elite rebounder and solid defender. Most teams are already aware of his abilities and his potential. This isn't like Jason Smith's case at all.
    They are both about having more options with the salary cap.

  8. #33
    Quote Originally Posted by Metairie Hornet View Post
    They are both about having more options with the salary cap.
    But you're assuming Aminu can't get a deal somewhere else that's better? I know Jason Smith couldn't.

  9. #34
    Quote Originally Posted by Nola Hornet View Post
    But you're assuming Aminu can't get a deal somewhere else that's better? I know Jason Smith couldn't.
    I'm not assuming anything. The move gives the Hornets more options with the salary cap. They can let Aminu play this season and see if he develops enough to offer him another contract just like they did with J.Smith.

  10. #35
    Quote Originally Posted by Metairie Hornet View Post
    I'm not assuming anything. The move gives the Hornets more options with the salary cap. They can let Aminu play this season and see if he develops enough to offer him another contract just like they did with J.Smith.
    Jason Smith took LESS money on this current contract. And one of the reasons was because he was an unknown at the time and wasn't productive. They are not going to be able to pull that stunt with Aminu who is already known as an ahtletic rebound and defender. Guys who rebounds and defend without a bad attitude are always in demand.

    If the team was going to resign him, there's a bigger chance it'll be more expensive than picking up his option. Aminu can get Jason Smith's type of contract anywhere.

  11. #36
    Quote Originally Posted by Nola Hornet View Post
    Jason Smith took LESS money on this current contract. And one of the reasons was because he was an unknown at the time and wasn't productive. They are not going to be able to pull that stunt with Aminu who is already known as an ahtletic rebound and defender. Guys who rebounds and defend without a bad attitude are always in demand.

    If the team was going to resign him, there's a bigger chance it'll be more expensive than picking up his option. Aminu can get Jason Smith's type of contract anywhere.
    Aminu isn't consistently productive and isn't worth what he would be paid next year right now. It made no sense to pick up his contract and pay him based off potential. Unless this link isn't correct J.Smith got the same amount of money per year on his new contract as he did in the last year of his rookie contract:
    http://www.basketball-reference.com/...smithja02.html

  12. #37
    Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    3,965
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. West View Post
    I wonder what we think Aminu's value is?
    Carl Landry settled for a 1 year $4 million deal. The money at the lower end of FA has dried up. If the Hornets end up keeping Aminu long term I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't in the ball park of what Jason Smith got.

  13. #38
    Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    3,965
    Quote Originally Posted by Metairie Hornet View Post
    Aminu isn't consistently productive and isn't worth what he would be paid next year right now. It made no sense to pick up his contract and pay him based off potential. Unless this link isn't correct J.Smith got the same amount of money per year on his new contract as he did in the last year of his rookie contract:
    http://www.basketball-reference.com/...smithja02.html
    Jason Smith was slated to make either $3.3 or $3.8ish million on his QO, I forget which.

  14. #39
    Vasquez was signed as insurance, if we were to lose him next season, we would be ultra thin at a very important position... We had SF on list of positions that we wanted to make a big sign for next season so we might be on that route or we'll just see what AFA does this season and offer him a decent multi deal, I mean we do have Miller who could start or back up the big acquisition... as far as X goes... He's outta here!

  15. #40
    The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    10,592
    I think smith is getting 2.5/year now, correct?

  16. #41
    That link doesn't show you his option because we declined it. It only showed you his new contract. If you're risk losing him over a 1 million or less, it says a lot about him and the future with the team right? I'm still feeling that we're freeing up money to go after a FA next summer.

    It's not hard to see that a guy like Aminu is a stopgap and isn't worth keeping longterm. With Miller destined to be a quality back up SF, the most logical move to make is to grab a starting caliber SF on the market.

  17. #42
    All World Pelicans78's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Lake Charles, LA
    Posts
    15,725
    Aminu is a defensive specialist at best. Nothing more. Based on his production so far in the league, he's not worth more than a minimum salary. Same as X. Smart move by Demps. If Aminu wants to stay, he can, but the team is looking at better long-term option especially one who will help offensively which Aminu cannot. Henry is in real trouble since he hasn't proven to do anything well in this league.

    Emeka Okafor - Joe Smith - Carmelo Anthony - Manu Ginobili - Jason Williams

    Al Jefferson - James Posey - Aaron McKie - Shaun Livingston

  18. #43
    A lot of teams spent a lot of money this past offseason and the new luxury tax penalties are about to kick in. I think the spending on free agents takes a drastic decline starting this offseason and that may be a major reason why they didn't pick up the option on Aminu, with the assumption they could bring him back for cheaper if they wanted to keep him beyond this season.

  19. #44
    When do we have to decide on Lopez's option for next year?

  20. #45
    Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! AUSSIE_PELICAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    2,554
    Quote Originally Posted by greewe View Post
    When do we have to decide on Lopez's option for next year?
    I'd imagine by the 31st too.
    That would go for Warrick as well.

  21. #46
    All World Pelicans78's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Lake Charles, LA
    Posts
    15,725
    Quote Originally Posted by greewe View Post
    When do we have to decide on Lopez's option for next year?
    After the season.

  22. #47
    Quote Originally Posted by Hornets78 View Post
    After the season.
    Correct- the Oct. 31st deadline is for rookie scale options

    Hornets will have to decide on Warrick and Lopez by June 30th of next year
    @mcnamara247

  23. #48
    Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! AUSSIE_PELICAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    2,554
    Quote Originally Posted by Hornets78 View Post
    After the season.
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    Correct- the Oct. 31st deadline is for rookie scale options

    Hornets will have to decide on Warrick and Lopez by June 30th of next year
    Thanks guy's!

  24. #49
    The Franchise goat gorilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    New Orleans, LA
    Posts
    1,295
    Well this should be a fire under Aminu's butt. If he earns it...he will get a new deal. But it's apparent we will be signing a quality SF in offseason.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •