Pelicans Report

Thread: Robin vs Batman

Robin vs Batman

Robin Lopez is impressing, and here is a quick look at his stats through the first 3 games next to Joakim Noah (Batman), who is a very similar player/super hyped by the media, and he gets paid over twice as much as Lopez does! Through the first 3 games:

Robin - 14.3 points, 7.7 boards, and 2 blocks while shooting 56% from the field in only 31.6 minutes/game

Batman - 14.6 points, 8.6 boards, and 1.6 blocks while shooting 46% from the field in 38.3 minutes/game

I have to say, I hoped Lopez would play well, and I suspected he would play better in Monty's system and after getting the surgery done in the off season that allowed him to come back at 100%, but I didn't think he would play this well this early. He is bringing an attitude and a nastiness to this defense that is very reminiscent of TC, and I think he is a perfect fit with Monty. I would say our search for a starting center is over. Kudos to that man!

Supervillain Demps strikes again!

I would say he really needs to work on his hands, but I can't complain about results. Dude has looked like a legit starting center, with an improved, albeit cringe-worthy, mid range shot as well.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Bee-Fense's Avatar
    Lopez is playing great so far, but let's not get too carried away here. Noah is a much better passer/ballhandler and rebounder (despite this year's stats) and a better team defender than Lopez (there's not many better than Noah at this). Noah is an incredible center. I would say Lopez is actually the better scorer though. Lopez has definitely been a quality starter so far and I think the deal he's on is an incredible one given the flexibility it gives us.

Quote Originally Posted by Bee-Fense View Post
    Lopez is playing great so far, but let's not get too carried away here. Noah is a much better passer/ballhandler and rebounder (despite this year's stats) and a better team defender than Lopez (there's not many better than Noah at this). Noah is an incredible center. I would say Lopez is actually the better scorer though. Lopez has definitely been a quality starter so far and I think the deal he's on is an incredible one given the flexibility it gives us.
    Sure, I can agree that Noah is a better player, but only slightly IMO. They both have the same mindset, which is huge for the role of a defensive center, and Lopez is a better scorer as you pointed out. Sure, Noah is a better ballhandler, but that doesn't mean anything for a Center. Better Passer? Sure, but we don't run our offense through Lopez, so that is negated.

Lopez is great in Monty's system, and that is the key. Monty minimizes his weaknesses and accentuates his strengths. In Monty's system, they have very comparable numbers, yet Lopez only makes $5 million/year compared to Noah's $11 million/year. That is a freaking bargain IMO.

I can't take you seriously with that avvy

Quote Originally Posted by nolaslim213 View Post
    Sure, I can agree that Noah is a better player, but only slightly IMO. They both have the same mindset, which is huge for the role of a defensive center, and Lopez is a better scorer as you pointed out. Sure, Noah is a better ballhandler, but that doesn't mean anything for a Center. Better Passer? Sure, but we don't run our offense through Lopez, so that is negated.

Lopez is great in Monty's system, and that is the key. Monty minimizes his weaknesses and accentuates his strengths. In Monty's system, they have very comparable numbers, yet Lopez only makes $5 million/year compared to Noah's $11 million/year. That is a freaking bargain IMO.
    noah is such an elite defensive player though...that doesn't show up in stats

Quote Originally Posted by CP4MVP View Post
    noah is such an elite defensive player though...that doesn't show up in stats
    Sure, but Lopez is a very good defender too. I wouldn't call him elite yet, but he is definitely one of the better defensive centers in the league. Lopez is also 3 years younger than Noah, and he is a better scorer too.

so glad we got Robin, it's been great watching him!

Also, just to let you guys know that if Lopez (who averages 31.6 minutes per game) averaged as many minutes/game as Noah does (38.3 minutes), then Lopez's stat line would be: 17.3 points, 9.3 rebounds, and 2.4 blocks.

Quote Originally Posted by nolaslim213 View Post
    Also, just to let you guys know that if Lopez (who averages 31.6 minutes per game) averaged as many minutes/game as Noah does (38.3 minutes), then Lopez's stat line would be: 17.3 points, 9.3 rebounds, and 2.4 blocks.
    Yeah it doesn't work like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Veritas View Post
    Yeah it doesn't work like that.
    Well, it could, because it's based on a "projection." The point is that Noah plays a full 7 minutes more than Lopez, yet they have very similar base stats. It's not fair to compare their stats if one player has an advantage in terms of minutes because that allows him to acquire more stats. It's math.

I'm happy with Robin.
    I'd rather have Robin on 5M a season with the other two seasons not gauranteed then be paying another guy more then twice that.

ie. Okafor

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Bee-Fense's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Perth_Hornet View Post
    I can't take you seriously with that avvy

Quote Originally Posted by nolaslim213
    Better Passer? Sure, but we don't run our offense through Lopez, so that is negated.
    I would agree with just about everything you said although to that I would say that our offense actually has gone to Lopez in the post quite a few times this year. If he was a better passer, it'd really help us considering the targets he could pass it too. He does seem to be getting better than he used to be though.

I'm really excited about him on this team. I hope he can continue to shore up his post game and touch around the basket.

I would agree with just about everything you said although to that I would say that our offense actually has gone to Lopez in the post quite a few times this year. If he was a better passer, it'd really help us considering the targets he could pass it too. He does seem to be getting better than he used to be though.

I'm really excited about him on this team. I hope he can continue to shore up his post game and touch around the basket.
    Agreed, but I would say that is more out of necessity than luxury. Our offense should run through Gordon, Davis, and Anderson (maybe even Vasquez) before Lopez. Gordon hasn't played yet, and Davis missed over half of the Utah game and all of this game.

But yes, it is very exciting to see him growing as a player under Monty. I can't say enough about how he develops players. Vasquez (leads the league in assists right now), Aminu (speaks for itself), Jason Smith (my sleeper candidate for 6th man of the year), Lopez, Pondexter... Man... The guy just knows how to relate to players and teach them the game. Only bust so far has been Henry, but he isn't done yet I don't think. If he can get to where he can shoot the 3 at around 37-40%, he'll be just fine here as a situational player.

Can't wait to see what he does with Davis, Rivers, and Miller!

Lopez is playing great so far, but let's not get too carried away here. Noah is a much better passer/ballhandler and rebounder (despite this year's stats) and a better team defender than Lopez (there's not many better than Noah at this). Noah is an incredible center...
    Whoah! Whoah! ...Whoah!

Lopez has turned out to be a lot more of an asset than most projected him to be. I cringe when I see him post up, but his awkward push shot seems to be relatively effective. I'll give it a few games to ensure it wasn't a fluke, but if he can give 10 points a game on those sorts of opportunities I'd be happy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    Impossible. The octopus that lives in my brain hasn't squibbered anything about it to me.

Also, that's how octopi talk. They squibber. Yes, it's a word. Shut up.

Thread Information