Pelicans Report

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Small move before Wed?

Quote Originally Posted by HornetGuru View Post
    did we really decline AFA's team option?
    Not surprised, he makes above 3.5 if we pick it up
    HR SIM LEAGUE: MEMPHIS GRIZZLIES

Mod over at reddit.com/r/NOLAPelicans

Jimeert Freedet 4 Prez IamQuailman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LoCo89 View Post
    Probably half of them...
    maybe even a quarter of double of them

The Franchise
    Kyle Korver? Though the 4 team starting thing comes into question, unless you count preseason for Atlanta
    Follow me on Twitter - www.twitter.com/ryinthehottub

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Quote Originally Posted by NOH2313 View Post
    Vasquez's option was picked up. Do you think that move indicates anything positive or negative in regards to a possible Harris deal?
    No. The Hornets have 2 things to consider in picking up options.
    1) will committing to a salary keep you from offering a max deal. Vasquez' $2.1M doesn't hit the cap space as hard as Henry and Aminu's $3M and $4M.
    2) Is the qualifying offer more than the player could get on the open market? Just like Beli and Jason Smith. Demps knew he could get Smith much cheaper than the QO and he did. The same thing may well happen with Aminu. No one will complain about Aminu being an 8th man if he's on a deal similar to Smith's.

Quote Originally Posted by ryan2709 View Post
    Kyle Korver? Though the 4 team starting thing comes into question, unless you count preseason for Atlanta
    Thought of him too, but he was never a starter in Chicago. And probably not Utah, for that matter. Though I am sure about the later....

"I'm not going to allow my putative owner to answer that question, this is an NBA related press conference. Paul Tagliabue and Roger Goodell have collectively sung their praises of Tom and if uh ESPN has a problem with that tell Mr. Skipper to call me at my office."

Band of Skulls & Neon Trees ramsters60's Avatar
    I like the 50/50 aspect....either we do something or we don't....
    "we might make dollars, but we don't necessarily make sense"

"always be sincere....whether you mean it or not"

The Franchise
    Quote Originally Posted by NOH2313 View Post
    Thought of him too, but he was never a starter in Chicago. And probably not Utah, for that matter. Though I am sure about the later....
    It would be clutching at straws but he had starts at both places

This is NOT the guy that I know Dell offered a package for today, but how would people feel about:

Henry, Warrick, and Vasquez for Jose Calderon (1 yr rental)

Calderon doesn't play a lick of defense but he can run a team and will keep the turnovers under control

Go out and sign Gary Forbes and Jon Brockman at league mins to fill the roster spots. Three upgrades IMO
    @mcnamara247

Love it. I followed the Raps for a long time and calderon is a great leader and pg.

Band of Skulls & Neon Trees ramsters60's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    This is NOT the guy that I know Dell offered a package for today, but how would people feel about:

Calderon doesn't play a lick of defense but he can run a team and will keep the turnovers under control

Go out and sign Gary Forbes and Jon Brockman at league mins to fill the roster spots. Three upgrades IMO
    still one more spot to fill...no? I tried on another thread and no response, but whats your take on the CDR situation? and btw, I would be a huge supporter of Calderon
    Last edited by ramsters60; 10-29-2012 at 11:25 PM.

The Franchise

Would love it also, and would be a good deadline target but Toronto may have similar plans.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Bee-Fense's Avatar

I wouldn't give up Vasquez to get Calderon on a rental.. I think Vasquez can be the long term answer at back up PG.

Calderon meanwhile would be a nice player to have this year, but I'd rather think long term over short term. Also, I'm not sure if Calderon would be too happy playing in New Orleans. Considering we already have the possibility of Gordon not wanting to be here, having 2 starters not wanting to be here potentially is just not good to me when rebuilding.

Vasquez brings a lot of intangible qualities to the team and while he's been disappointing this preseason, I think the addition of Gordon to the starting line up and more time with the new team will greatly benefit Vasquez. And quite honestly, even if the turnovers do continue, I'm okay with that. It'll lead to a better draft pick this draft and that's always good

Can you please tell us the package (:

im so eager to know

[Insert generic "if you don't want to read about a rumor don't click on the thread" comment here]

Doesn't bother me any. If I'm busy, I don't click on the thread. If I'm bored, I do. As long as it's labeled properly, it's all good.

Max Contract Contributor AD23forMVP's Avatar
    I wish I could just listen in on all of Dell's conversations.

On a permanent Holiday! Purple Haze's Avatar

I would hate to give up Vasquez as I also think he's the long term backup answer at 1, but I wouldn't hate this. Big fan of JC, he's a definite leader at point.
    Wherehappens.

But what's the point ? We lose him after the year. So we basically get better to have a worse pick to lose him in the offseason? Seems like a waste of time to be honest. Still don't think we make the playoffs. I'd like to hear the reasoning. If we keep the team as is, we can see what Vasquez has to offer us long term and we can build a little more "naturally".

"I don't know if people know — I dislocated my pinkie finger. And [Tyreke] told me, 'You wanna go home or you wanna be here?' I want to be here. And he said, 'All right, then go tape it up and let's play. Let's go. We not stoppin' at no stores. Straight gas. That's what we do, just keep going.'"

http://thebasketbawlblog.com/

1. Can Warrick be traded so soon?

2. Calderon would be a 10.5 mil expiring, adding even more money for next years FA.
    Quote Originally Posted by Conroy View Post
    I feel like I'm wasting my time compared to Sound.
    Quote Originally Posted by NOLa. View Post
    I think Sound just upped the standards in the league.
    GM of the Year

I'm With A-GO Contributor jeeves's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BallSoHard View Post
    But what's the point ? We lose him after the year. So we basically get better to have a worse pick to lose him in the offseason? Seems like a waste of time to be honest. Still don't think we make the playoffs. I'd like to hear the reasoning. If we keep the team as is, we can see what Vasquez has to offer us long term and we can build a little more "naturally".
    the sensei has a point

Quote Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
    1. Can Warrick be traded so soon?

2. Calderon would be a 10.5 mil expiring, adding even more money for next years FA.
    Warrick and Henry are expirings already. Adding more expiring does not give us more money to spend in FA (as cap stays the same). So, the only additional savings would be Vasquez at about $2 million.

Max Contract Contributor AD23forMVP's Avatar
    That trade McNamara posted would be pointless.

Quote Originally Posted by BallSoHard View Post
    Good point. We'd be dumping a cheap role player (worst case) in Vasquez to pick up an expiring veteran. Henry & Warrick are likely gone after this year anyway so it's not like we'd be doing it to dump salary. If anything, it's worse for the cap due to losing a key role player that would be making only 2 million.

Basically, we'd end up with a slightly better record (lower draft pick), and fewer future assets. It'd be a terrible trade for the current Hornets' situation. Only way I could se it is if the Raptors throw in a first rounder. But that's basically tied up with the Rockets (now Thunder) for the next half a decade.

Quote Originally Posted by HORNETSFAN View Post
    Warrick and Henry are expirings already. Adding more expiring does not give us more money to spend in FA (as cap stays the same). So, the only additional savings would be Vasquez at about $2 million.
    Bingo, an additional 2.15 mil. I did know the first two were expiring, what I did not know was that the 3 combined = only about 7.5 mil. Sow we would be taking in an additional 3 mil this year to save 2 mil next year.

haha here we go....

Quote Originally Posted by bradael View Post
    Good point. We'd be dumping a cheap role player (worst case) in Vasquez to pick up an expiring veteran. Henry & Warrick are likely gone after this year anyway so it's not like we'd be doing it to dump salary. If anything, it's worse for the cap due to losing a key role player that would be making only 2 million.

Basically, we'd end up with a slightly better record (lower draft pick), and fewer future assets. It'd be a terrible trade for the current Hornets' situation. Only way I could se it is if the Raptors throw in a first rounder. But that's basically tied up with the Rockets (now Thunder) for the next half a decade.
    I think a lot are only looking at numbers here and not the entire picture. We need to think about player development, mental progression, and lets not forget fan involvement. We don't want to just tank this year. We don't want to just say its a rebuilding year and lets cash it in. You always take the win. We are a very young team, and going 12 -72 could destroy our young team's confidence. We need to breed the culture of winning. We cannot afford to waste a year. Building a culture takes a very very long time.

Because we are a young team, we need to run. Calderon excels at the lob pass. I think Calderon would be a much needed boost to the team. Imagine all of the alley-opps to AD23 and the chief this year?

Thread Information