Pelicans Report

Thread: Gerry V: See Anthony Run! {merged}

Gerry V: See Anthony Run! {merged}

"Can he run? Can he catch the ball on the move? Does he enjoy rebounding? Can he 'go get the block?' Is he an alert defender? Can he score? Is he coachable?
    -- Questions to myself

Those were the questions I asked myself while observing Anthony Davis while he played at Kentucky. I used those same questions while watching him perform during the New Orleans Hornets preseason.

I answered yes to all of them.
    http://www.nola.com/sports/gerryv/in...thony_run.html

The Opinion Business Contributor gerryv's Avatar

Watching Anthony Davis

How I watch Davis:

-- How he changes ends of the floor ... his gait covers ground while at the same time he displays transition alertness ... you want your bigs to "see the ball!"

-- His off-the-ball defense ... his head scans on and off the ball actions. He will have to adapt to the quicker off-the-ball actions, but he is athletic enough to do this as he gains experience.

-- He does two things that show you he is a legit shot blocker:

A.) He can go across the lane and get the block.
    B.) He can make the diagonal cut and make the block (big-time skill).

-- He has soft hands ... he can catch from the stand-still position and also execute the cut and catch.

-- He can put the ball on the floor and advance it off the dribble.

-- Soft shooting touch.

-- Mobility out of pick & roll situations.

Take the time to isolate on Davis during certain sequences of a ball game. Enjoy the process, but understand he is young. The regular season begins this week vs. the Spurs.

We will all see moments that will give us a sneak peak into his future.

Davis has tremendous room for growth.

Our eyes will enjoy the view.
    1-What does not move is dead.What has speed,and mobilty has more possibilities,more life...quickness creates luck.

2- Your Defense is only as good as your HELP/ROTATING defenders.

3-Games are won while the ball is in the air.

4- You design your roster to win a 7 game series not a one game confrontation.

The Opinion Business Contributor gerryv's Avatar

Watch Anthony Davis Pt 2

New Orleans Hornets power forward Anthony Davis (23) dunks for two during the preseason game between the Houston Rockets and New Orleans Hornets at the New Orleans Arena on Wednesday, October 24, 2012. (Photo by Michael DeMocker, NOLA.com | The Times-Picayune)
    Those were the questions I asked myself while observing Anthony Davis while he played at Kentucky. I used those same questions while watching him perform during the New Orleans Hornets preseason.

I answered yes to all of them.

How players change ends of the floor -- getting from offense to defense and vice versa -- tells you a lot about their desire and passion for the game of basketball. Davis has a stride as if he was skating on ice.

Smooth and efficient. That's important as his defensive potential at the NBA level will improve the Hornets defense "at the rim" and "off the ball."

The Hornets defensive efficiency had them ranked at No. 16 last season.

While Davis is blessed with a skill set and can become a very special player in the NBA as he gains experience, what's most impressive to me is it appears that he "loves to play."

He finds joy in the work process; the demands and the expectations don't seem to intimidate him.

One's work capacity and willingness to endure the uncomfortable will determine one's success.

Experience can be a very painful teacher. Davis will learn more about his mental toughness, fatigue, and annoying physical pains playing in the NBA.

I see a young player who will embrace all the game will throw at him.

Anthony Davis is one of the big reasons watching a Hornets game will not only be entertaining, but it will also allow us to measure the progress of someone who we will be watching take his first few steps to stardom.

Some guys just have "it." You see it when they first step out on the floor. The "it" factor is given only to the special.

Great read V. It'll be fun watching him develop into what i think will be a superstar. He has all the tools to be one of the greats.

Add 20 lbs and a nice hook shot--profit.

Thread Information