Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Two of the top 7 Big Men in the League

Quote Originally Posted by HunnyB View Post
    I don't think the majority of people asked would say that Ryan Anderson is 'better' than Blake Griffin as an overall player.
    I'm the minority! Mostly cause I am a Griffin hater.

Quote Originally Posted by sfernald View Post
    Griffin ranked fifth. That's not exactly something to be ashamed about. Fifth best big in the league according to this dumb stat. I just think this particular stat is rather silly. Have you looked at the equations?

Example:

The complete formula is: TmAst/TmFGM * (1.53 - 1.442 * [Ast/Min / (TmAst/(TmMin/5))] -0.041 * ((OReb/Min)*48) - 0.787*Usage + 0.014*(3A/FGA)^2*(1/Usage)^2)

http://www.sonicscentral.com/warp.html
    When I saw that fomula, I began having nightmares from Statistic, Derivatives and Calculus from college.

Quote Originally Posted by WhoDatHornet View Post
    I'm the minority! Mostly cause I am a Griffin hater.
    I hear you WhoDatHornet.

Quote Originally Posted by hornetslover89 View Post
    When I saw that fomula, I began having nightmares from Statistic, Derivatives and Calculus from college.
    Gives people something to do as they wait desperately for the season to begin (damn it).

I hear you WhoDatHornet.

Don't be a Griffin hater. He is my favorite player. You dont want to hurt my feelings do you? But no doubt AD is creeping up there as my favorite too! Dude is going to be the combined force of KAJ and BR.

Don't be a Griffin hater. He is my favorite player. You dont want to hurt my feelings do you? But no doubt AD is creeping up there as my favorite too! Dude is going to be the combined force of KAJ and BR.
    Don't quote me as being a Griffin hater. I just said I hear WhoDatHornet. Is your reply button only allowing you to quote me in this thread?

But you might be hurting greewe's feelings by leaving him hanging like that.

I'm not a Griffin hater because I realize the vast majority of Griffin hate is misdirected. People don't dislike Blake himself, they just hate the fact that ESPN has crowned him a superstar. People are quick to point out Blake's flaws but every player has flaws; the only reason Blake's matter so much to people is because they get told how great he is every day. Blake Griffin hate is reactionary. He's a funny guy with good comedic timing, and he puts up good numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by The JNR View Post
    I'm not a Griffin hater because I realize the vast majority of Griffin hate is misdirected. People don't dislike Blake himself, they just hate the fact that ESPN has crowned him a superstar. People are quick to point out Blake's flaws but every player has flaws; the only reason Blake's matter so much to people is because they get told how great he is every day. Blake Griffin hate is reactionary. He's a funny guy with good comedic timing, and he puts up good numbers.
    I don't like Blake Griffin because he is a prick. He'll dunk on someone and stare them down, when everyone knows he is one of the softest crybabies in the league. He is also one of the biggest floppers in the league, and I can't respect a player like that.

Quote Originally Posted by nolaslim213 View Post
    I don't like Blake Griffin because he is a prick. He'll dunk on someone and stare them down, when everyone knows he is one of the softest crybabies in the league. He is also one of the biggest floppers in the league, and I can't respect a player like that.
    Sure, but I think those two traits -- which are VERY common in the NBA -- are demonized even more in Blake. I definitely don't think he stares down people after dunks more than anybody else. And you can argue that stuff like Bosh's dinosaur roar and Dikembe's finger wag are/were just as bad. Flopping is a good point, but I feel like Blake gets outright hatred for it while Paul, Wade, and Pierce don't get nearly as much hate -- they get mentioned and mocked, sure, but I find that the comments about Blake are much more vitriolic. I think people just hated the fact that they were being force-fed Blake Griffin, and the reasons came from there.

Sure, but I think those two traits -- which are VERY common in the NBA -- are demonized even more in Blake. I definitely don't think he stares down people after dunks more than anybody else. And you can argue that stuff like Bosh's dinosaur roar and Dikembe's finger wag are/were just as bad. Flopping is a good point, but I feel like Blake gets outright hatred for it while Paul, Wade, and Pierce don't get nearly as much hate -- they get mentioned and mocked, sure, but I find that the comments about Blake are much more vitriolic. I think people just hated the fact that they were being force-fed Blake Griffin, and the reasons came from there.
    See that's the problem. Blake wants to dunk on people and stare them down to intimidate players like a tough guy but he flops. Either dunk on people, stare at them and not flop, or dunk on people and walk away, and don't axct like your some tough intimidation type guy. There's no reason a 6'10" 260 pound guy should be flopping. It's why people hated Vlade Divac and it's why Dirk always had so much heat on flopping.

"I don't know if people know — I dislocated my pinkie finger. And [Tyreke] told me, 'You wanna go home or you wanna be here?' I want to be here. And he said, 'All right, then go tape it up and let's play. Let's go. We not stoppin' at no stores. Straight gas. That's what we do, just keep going.'"

http://thebasketbawlblog.com/

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    I have no respect for Blake. He should be a dominant force on both ends, but he'd rather flop around like a flaccid cephalopod. Don't give two damns about him.

Well I obviously stand corrected. Maybe I was just judging based on what espn commenters say.

Don't quote me as being a Griffin hater. I just said I hear WhoDatHornet. Is your reply button only allowing you to quote me in this thread?

But you might be hurting greewe's feelings by leaving him hanging like that.
    I think greewe's post got answered just fine by another user.

Anyway, flopping is illegal now so we can stop all that talk about Blake being a flopper unless he starts racking up fines. He didn't flop once in the pre-season. His defense is much improved this year too, along its his jump shot.

But man, can barly wait until the season starts.

Well I obviously stand corrected. Maybe I was just judging based on what espn commenters say.
    He's got the talent to be a tier 2 type player, like that Vince Carter and T Mac were back in the day.

Anyway, flopping is illegal now so we can stop all that talk about Blake being a flopper unless he starts racking up fines. He didn't flop once in the pre-season. His defense is much improved this year too, along its his jump shot.

Let's not rush to judgement on what the preseason offered either.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar

I don't owe Blake a thing. The damage has already been done. Respect has been lost like paradise.

Re: Two of the top 7 Big Men in the League

Quote Originally Posted by BallSoHard View Post
    He's got the talent to be a tier 2 type player, like that Vince Carter and T Mac were back in the day.
    If that is Tier 2, who in the world is ever Tier 1? Prime Jordan and Shaq? Maybe prime Garnett/Duncan? VC and T Mac were ridiculous in their best seasons.

And there isn't enough stare-downs and smack talk nowadays. I love watching that stuff.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    I have no respect for Blake. He should be a dominant force on both ends, but he'd rather flop around like a flaccid cephalopod. Don't give two damns about him.
    I agree and I think he's overrated.

Quote Originally Posted by Kibner View Post
    If that is Tier 2, who in the world is ever Tier 1? Prime Jordan and Shaq? Maybe prime Garnett/Duncan? VC and T Mac were ridiculous in their best seasons.

And there isn't enough stare-downs and smack talk nowadays. I love watching that stuff.

You hit the nail on the head. Kobe prime, Shaq Prime, Lebron prime, Garnett, Duncan etc. They were ridiculous but not Great. Neither were renown defenders in their haydays IMO. T Mac hasnt even won a playoff series and Carter never really made much noise in the playoffs until past his prime.
    Last edited by BallSoHard; 10-29-2012 at 03:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kibner View Post

Carter & T Mac never played any defense. LeBron isn't the MVP just because of his offensive numbers. He's 1st team defense every year. He'll score 30 and hold his guy to under his average.

I haven't watched the Clippers this preseason except for their game against the Nuggets, so I'll have to wait and see if Griffin really improved his defense, but that's clearly his biggest issue. He puts up gawdy numbers, but when he plays against another elite big, he struggles. He's also limited defensively due to his length kinda like Kevin Love (both at 6'11.25" wingspan - shoot, LeBron was 7'0.25" out of high school and Wade was 6'10.75").

The fact that a rookie is on it should leave this list completed voided.

I think advance stats are great to keep things in perspective, but to rest solely on them is an awful way to decide talent level and value.
    Last edited by da ThRONe; 10-30-2012 at 10:48 AM.

On a permanent Holiday! Purple Haze's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BallSoHard View Post
    See that's the problem. Blake wants to dunk on people and stare them down to intimidate players like a tough guy but he flops. Either dunk on people, stare at them and not flop, or dunk on people and walk away, and don't axct like your some tough intimidation type guy. There's no reason a 6'10" 260 pound guy should be flopping. It's why people hated Vlade Divac and it's why Dirk always had so much heat on flopping.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    Pretty much have it covered here. He's lazy, so he flops. It's beyond annoying.
    Wherehappens.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehl52...&feature=g-u-u

dunno whether or not i should have started a new thread. found it funny

There is no way that Anderson is a top 10 big let alone top 3. Just to name a few bigs that are clearly better Anderson.

Dwight
    Griffin
    Aldridge
    Duncan
    Bynum
    Marc Gasol
    Pau Gasol
    Josh Smith
    Al Horford
    David Lee
    Zach Randolph
    Garnett
    Dirk
    Nene
    Greg Monroe
    Bosh
    Love
    Chandler
    Amare
    Bogut ( if healthy )

Then there are a bunch of others that would be a toss up.

Noah
    Varejao
    Boozer
    Gortat
    Pekovic
    Ibaka
    Millsap
    Jefferson
    Brooke Lopez
    Hibbert
    David West
    Cousins
    Bargnani

Quote Originally Posted by sipclip View Post
    There is no way that Anderson is a top 10 big let alone top 3. Just to name a few bigs that are clearly better Anderson.

Dwight
    Griffin
    Aldridge
    Duncan
    Bynum
    Marc Gasol
    Pau Gasol
    Josh Smith
    Al Horford
    David Lee
    Zach Randolph
    Garnett
    Dirk
    Nene
    Greg Monroe
    Bosh
    Love
    Chandler
    Amare
    Bogut ( if healthy )

Then there are a bunch of others that would be a toss up.

Noah
    Varejao
    Boozer
    Gortat
    Pekovic
    Ibaka
    Millsap
    Jefferson
    Brooke Lopez
    Hibbert
    David West
    Cousins
    Bargnani
    This thread is more about how the bigs rank at that particular stat. Not who's 'better'.

Thread Information