Pelicans Report

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Gordon and Rivers were both "full" at practice today/No guarantee for opener

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    I must've deluded myself. Took hearing he plans on playing on him being guaranteed to get some minutes. At least he's practicing.

Breaking News New Orleans Hornets guard Eric Gordon says 'no guarantees' he'll play Wednesday night

http://www.nola.com/hornets/index.ss..._river_default

"It feels good; it takes me a long time to warm up but I'm here two hours before practice," Gordon said, "trying to get it warm and get it ready. It's tough. I feel pain when I play and of course it looks good to the coaches and everybody here that the past few days I've been playing well and looking well. But it's hard to deal with, especially over an 82-game season.

"It's always going to be an overall (decision. You never want to leave the organization out of what's going on. I tell them how I feel every day. That's just going to be the process, and then we'll develop a process within that."
    Gordon insisted he'd be able to play with pain, if necessary, though he expects some minute restrictions early on.

"It's just seeing how much I can handle. This is the start of the season. And it's going to be a long one," he said. "Probably when I get back playing, definitely there's going to be limited minutes whenever I get back. But it's all about me just getting better and rehabbing. As far as limitations, that will be something between me and the coach and definitely how I feel."

Seems like we said, he doesn't have a high pain threshold.

"I don't know if people know — I dislocated my pinkie finger. And [Tyreke] told me, 'You wanna go home or you wanna be here?' I want to be here. And he said, 'All right, then go tape it up and let's play. Let's go. We not stoppin' at no stores. Straight gas. That's what we do, just keep going.'"

http://thebasketbawlblog.com/

This won't go over well on TD, I bet. Or for many on here. No guarantees...gonna get treated like his knee fell off.

Last night he seemed optimistic on twitter. Is it him, the doctor or Monty saying he should wait?

Difference between playing hurt and playing injured.

Max Contract Contributor AD23forMVP's Avatar
    This isn't news...

I'd be shocked if he does play... this is no surprise to me for some reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    Difference between playing hurt and playing injured.
    Seems like there's no "problem" anymore. Just pain that he will have until he heals completely?

Puddin' living up to his name. Take a lesson from Kobe Bryant or hell even your teammate Austin Rivers Mr Puddin'!
    hate to say it cause i like EG but come on man... you got paid. NOW MAN UP AND PLAY BALL!
    (yes i am getting frustrated with this)

Just to reiterate, no guarantee is NOT the same as saying he's not going to play.

That was scary to read. It seems like he was saying he's going to be in perpetual pain. A la Brandon Roy...
    "Every fight is a food fight when you're a cannibal."- Demetri Martin

@ThePraff

How can Rivers play basketball his whole life and never have gotten a sprained ankle before??? How is that even possible???

Quote Originally Posted by Da_Beez_Neez View Post
    How can Rivers play basketball his whole life and never have gotten a sprained ankle before??? How is that even possible???
    He's an ankle breaker. He doesn't get his ankles broken.

On a permanent Holiday! Purple Haze's Avatar
    I'm expecting to see him on the court for a few minutes tomorrow, that's it.
    Wherehappens.

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Da_Beez_Neez View Post
    For real, I sprained my ankle just watching Rivers' injury.

This is a bit of a suprise to me. I thought he was just waiting for the regular season. Not really sure what to make of this recent bit of news.

To be honest, I really don't understand this.

Is this pain a residual effect from the previous injury/surgery that will eventually wear off, or is he still injured?

Telling you how early he comes in so you won't be mad when he only plays 35 games this year. Book it.

Quote Originally Posted by LoneyROY7 View Post
    To be honest, I really don't understand this.

Is this pain a residual effect from the previous injury/surgery that will eventually wear off, or is he still injured?
    Yeah, it wasn't made clear if this will pass or if this won't go away....ever.

I think it's all mental with Gordon at this point. If you want to feel pain, you'll feel pain. Plus, he's a professional athlete and he's not a teenager anymore. He's not going to be pain-free at all times anymore. He tried out just fine for the Olympic team simply because he actually wanted to play. Hopefull Rivers's attitude towards playing through pain rubs off on Gordon.

Quote Originally Posted by bradael View Post
    Hopefully Gordon's attitude towards playing doesn't rub off on Rivers.
    Fixed.

Quote Originally Posted by MyLanta View Post
    Fixed.
    Yeah but I've never seen a tough player become soft that way. I think it's far more common in professional sports to become comfortable with the idea of playing through pain than for someone to be a tough guy then suddenly say "This bruise hurts too much. I can't play."

...we get to go McDonalds
    We win games and he'll be fine

Thread Information