Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Pick a player, any player!

Neither. No difference maker is coming to NOLA via free agency.

It's become glaringly obvious that any non-glamour team will need to build it's championship core via the draft and to a lesser degree trades(usually from the asset aquired in the draft). Focusing on free agency is fool's gold. It's a matter of shifting players from one team that doesn't want and/or can't afford that player to another team that doesn't drastically improve with said player and/or can't afford them either.

I'm of the opinion to get quality role players and save Money to extend JSmitty, AD, and.Austin.

Quote Originally Posted by 50_Hornet View Post
    Bring CP3 home and Draft a SF. We have enough length as it is right now. We need someone who can actually facilitate a freaking offense!
    Great post - not the CP3 part (although that would be awesome) but the we need someone to facilitate the offense part. How many forwards do we need on ths team? The Hornets should only be looking at guards. IMO
    Last edited by UptownFuz504; 10-28-2012 at 10:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by iNolaNightmare View Post
    I'm of the opinion to get quality role players and save Money to extend JSmitty, AD, and.Austin.
    Why exactly do we need to save money to extend Rivers? Have you seen him play?

Quote Originally Posted by UptownFuz504 View Post
    Why exactly do we need to save money to extend Rivers? Have you seen him play?
    Yes, I have actually. I've seen him play in high school, college, and preseason. Point is, I meant if he breaks out. No need to get your panties in a wad.

Quote Originally Posted by QPon20 View Post
    Ayon for Anderson wasn't just a straight up trade though. We threw in Ayon for some extra inctinitve for the Magic not to match. It was more like we signed Anderson and then gave them Ayon for compensation.
    It would be the same deal with Curry, which was the main point. Anderson was an RFA that we were going to sign away because Orlando didn't want to match, so we traded them Ayon as a sweetener to let Anderson walk. We would be doing the same with Curry - offering him near the max (or the max) and giving them a guy like Vasquez to get them to not match it.

Quote Originally Posted by da ThRONe View Post
    Neither. No difference maker is coming to NOLA via free agency.

It's become glaringly obvious that any non-glamour team will need to build it's championship core via the draft and to a lesser degree trades(usually from the asset aquired in the draft). Focusing on free agency is fool's gold. It's a matter of shifting players from one team that doesn't want and/or can't afford that player to another team that doesn't drastically improve with said player and/or can't afford them either.
    Lol, so Monty Williams says that we are going to spend in FA again, and you respond with this ****? This is why nobody on here takes you seriously man...

Also, how do you think Ryan Anderson got here? Sure, we technically traded for him, but really we signed him as an RFA and gave up Ayon so that Orlando wouldn't match. You don't think Anderson is a difference maker?

I'd be okay offering Lawson his max. My only concerns are stylistic (it seems a waste to put the fastest player in the league in a slow, half court system), not with Lawson as a player. He's a complete player who scores well from all areas, is a lights out shooter, an underrated defender, and is entering his prime.

Quote Originally Posted by nolaslim213 View Post
    Lol, so Monty Williams says that we are going to spend in FA again, and you respond with this ****? This is why nobody on here takes you seriously man...

Also, how do you think Ryan Anderson got here? Sure, we technically traded for him, but really we signed him as an RFA and gave up Ayon so that Orlando wouldn't match. You don't think Anderson is a difference maker?
    Good player yes difference maker that remains to be seen. And like you metioned it was a trade. Which isn't quite a trade in a traditional sense because he did agree to the extention, but it's not the same as being in the open market and choosing NOLA either.

As if I care who does or doesn't "take me seriously". You can call it what you want, but we aren't attracting difference makers in free agency and not only us, but pretty much all non-glamour teams.

Good player yes difference maker that remains to be seen. And like you metioned it was a trade. Which isn't quite a trade in a traditional sense because he did agree to the extention, but it's not the same as being in the open market and choosing NOLA either.

As if I care who does or doesn't "take me seriously". You can call it what you want, but we aren't attracting difference makers in free agency and not only us, but pretty much all non-glamour teams.
    You can pull all the technicalities out that you want, but we, for all intents and purposes, signed Anderson as an RFA, and we technically acquired him via trade. In order for that to happen, though, he had to choose our franchise. And if you have been watching the preseason at all, you should know that Anderson will definitely be a difference maker for us.

But forget all of that for a second. It doesn't matter what you or I speculate. What matters is that our head coach came out and said that we have a lot of money to play with next off season, and that we will use it to bring in more talent. How are you honestly going to try to convince us that you know more about this franchise's future plans than he does? Come on dude.... Stop trolling.

You can pull all the technicalities out that you want, but we, for all intents and purposes, signed Anderson as an RFA, and we technically acquired him via trade. In order for that to happen, though, he had to choose our franchise. And if you have been watching the preseason at all, you should know that Anderson will definitely be a difference maker for us.
    There's a difference between being traded and agreeing to an extention as opposed to being in the open market and selecting a team if you don't understand the difference that's on you. He has played well in the preseason lately but earlier he struggled with his shot. We have don't know for certain how things will play out once the regular season starts.

But forget all of that for a second. It doesn't matter what you or I speculate. What matters is that our head coach came out and said that we have a lot of money to play with next off season, and that we will use it to bring in more talent. How are you honestly going to try to convince us that you know more about this franchise's future plans than he does? Come on dude.... Stop trolling.
    Who cares what we want to do it's about what we will be able to do. Houston wanted to sign Howard even offered the Magic the best deal IMO still didn't get him. Dallas freed up money for Williams didn't work. Having a plan to do something is completely different from actually executing that plan.

I only appear to be a troll to unrealstic homers.

I wrote this about you Mr. West's Avatar
    I think Al Jefferson would fit well next to Davis and give us another scoring option. So, I think he would be my pick of any available FA's.

There's a difference between being traded and agreeing to an extention as opposed to being in the open market and selecting a team if you don't understand the difference that's on you. He has played well in the preseason lately but earlier he struggled with his shot. We have don't know for certain how things will play out once the regular season starts.
    Do you not understand the concept of restricted FA? There were many teams that wanted Anderson, and he was had at a bargain. He CHOSE US over many other teams, and once he chose us, then we had to work out a trade for him. The only reason we had to "trade" for him was because Orlando wasn't going to let him go for nothing. Ayon was just a BS toss in. That doesn't mean that we traded for him like a normal trade.
    Who cares what we want to do it's about what we will be able to do. Houston wanted to sign Howard even offered the Magic the best deal IMO still didn't get him. Dallas freed up money for Williams didn't work. Having a plan to do something is completely different from actually executing that plan.

I only appear to be a troll to unrealstic homers.
    It's just funny how you think you are smarter than Monty. Monty thinks we can get a guy this off season. Why wouldn't you want to speculate about which guy we are going after, compared to what you are actually doing, which is just trolling - "nobody wants to come here, etc..." That's 100% BS. You are just a negative person, and even though this is an exciting time for this franchise, you just can't help but trying to cast doubt with your irrational babble.

And how is it being an "unrealistic homer" because we are speculating on which guy we are going after in FA next year? Monty said we would, so we will. Does that mean we will 100% get the guy we want? No, but it means we are for sure going after someone. Stop being such a prick.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. West View Post
    I think Al Jefferson would fit well next to Davis and give us another scoring option. So, I think he would be my pick of any available FA's.
    Jefferson would be a great fit next to Davis, but I wonder how much money he is going to want. The guy is only 27, and he is one of the top 3 low-post scorers in the league. Maybe sign him with our cap space, and then sign a guy like Brandon Rush (athletic SF who can hit the 3) with our MLE? That would be my plan.

Jefferson would be a great fit next to Davis, but I wonder how much money he is going to want. The guy is only 27, and he is one of the top 3 low-post scorers in the league. Maybe sign him with our cap space, and then sign a guy like Brandon Rush (athletic SF who can hit the 3) with our MLE? That would be my plan.
    So you've changed your stance on this? Before, you said we may be able to get Jefferson on the cheap because he's highly underrated by many organizations and because of his obvious defensive shortcomings. You also pointed out, I believe, that with many teams possibly going all in for Howard and Bynum, the competition for his services would conceivably lessen.

What made you change your mind?

"I'm not going to allow my putative owner to answer that question, this is an NBA related press conference. Paul Tagliabue and Roger Goodell have collectively sung their praises of Tom and if uh ESPN has a problem with that tell Mr. Skipper to call me at my office."

Do you not understand the concept of restricted FA? There were many teams that wanted Anderson, and he was had at a bargain. He CHOSE US over many other teams, and once he chose us, then we had to work out a trade for him. The only reason we had to "trade" for him was because Orlando wasn't going to let him go for nothing. Ayon was just a BS toss in. That doesn't mean that we traded for him like a normal trade.
    You are right here Anderson was likely to sign with us before the trade. It wasn't a done deal, but it appears that a deal was in place. However like I said Anderson hasn't shown he's a difference maker.

It's just funny how you think you are smarter than Monty. Monty thinks we can get a guy this off season. Why wouldn't you want to speculate about which guy we are going after, compared to what you are actually doing, which is just trolling - "nobody wants to come here, etc..." That's 100% BS. You are just a negative person, and even though this is an exciting time for this franchise, you just can't help but trying to cast doubt with your irrational babble.
    Am I smarter than Cuban? Am I smarter than Morey? Who the hells knows. However it didn't stop either from failing. It's not about me being smarter dumber whatever it's about history. Ofcourse Monty is going to speak well and have high hopes. You expect him to say nobody wants to come to NOLA?

And how is it being an "unrealistic homer" because we are speculating on which guy we are going after in FA next year? Monty said we would, so we will. Does that mean we will 100% get the guy we want? No, but it means we are for sure going after someone. Stop being such a prick.
    Once again what member of any origanizations is going to come out a say the team won't can't get better? None. Holding on to every word of every front office member is a very naive way to be a fan.

Once again I'm not being a prick you simply lack the mental maturity to handle an opinion that defers from yours, and it shows through all the name calling.

When you look at the number of guys on my list (15+), the number of teams that will have cap room to sign a bigger name player (less than 10), and then extract the Sacramento, Charlotte's, etc of the world that have no respect around the league or future, I think it would be a shock if the Hornets couldn't land a significant player.

Players around the league love Monty and recognize the fact that Davis is a superstar in the making. When has this organization ever had all three of these things:

A) Possible once in a generation player
    B) A coach who players around the league want to play for
    C) Stability in ownership and managment

Go ahead and find me 3 teams that will have money and a big market and a chance to win long term this offseason. I will save you the time, though, they dont exist.

Hornets have a good of a chance as anyone this offseason to land an impact player
    @mcnamara247

You are right here Anderson was likely to sign with us before the trade. It wasn't a done deal, but it appears that a deal was in place. However like I said Anderson hasn't shown he's a difference maker.

Am I smarter than Cuban? Am I smarter than Morey? Who the hells knows. However it didn't stop either from failing. It's not about me being smarter dumber whatever it's about history. Ofcourse Monty is going to speak well and have high hopes. You expect him to say nobody wants to come to NOLA?

Once again what member of any origanizations is going to come out a say the team won't can't get better? None. Holding on to every word of every front office member is a very naive way to be a fan.

Once again I'm not being a prick you simply lack the mental maturity to handle an opinion that defers from yours, and it shows through all the name calling.
    You, sir, are a special one. I'll leave it at that.

Quote Originally Posted by NOH2313 View Post
    So you've changed your stance on this? Before, you said we may be able to get Jefferson on the cheap because he's highly underrated by many organizations and because of his obvious defensive shortcomings. You also pointed out, I believe, that with many teams possibly going all in for Howard and Bynum, the competition for his services would conceivably lessen.

What made you change your mind?
    A few weeks I told you that I think Howard, Bynum, and Pekovic will occupy the market, and we could sneak in and get Jefferson on the cheaper end. I still hope we can do that, but that would require some luck on our part, and the premise of your thread called for "realistic" options. I hope/think there is a chance that we can get Jefferson for $10-12 mil/year, but it isn't certain. I'd put it at a 35% chance we can get him at that rate, again because of Howard, Bynum, and Pekovic (who is another good, young center).

The main point I was trying to make is that he would be a great fit next to Davis. The money isn't as much of an issue, since we will have a lot of it to play with. Still, it's never good to drastically overpay.

Band of Skulls & Neon Trees ramsters60's Avatar
    I agree with you, Slim....Jefferson would be a nice get at a reasonable price....
    "we might make dollars, but we don't necessarily make sense"

"always be sincere....whether you mean it or not"

A few weeks I told you that I think Howard, Bynum, and Pekovic will occupy the market, and we could sneak in and get Jefferson on the cheaper end. I still hope we can do that, but that would require some luck on our part, and the premise of your thread called for "realistic" options. I hope/think there is a chance that we can get Jefferson for $10-12 mil/year, but it isn't certain. I'd put it at a 35% chance we can get him at that rate, again because of Howard, Bynum, and Pekovic (who is another good, young center).

The main point I was trying to make is that he would be a great fit next to Davis. The money isn't as much of an issue, since we will have a lot of it to play with. Still, it's never good to drastically overpay.
    I doubt Utah let Jefferson walk away without the max.
    Have you seen Utah's payroll next season?

They only have about 17M in guaranteed contracts in 2013/14.
    Plenty of room to offer Jefferson and Millsap max deals.

We have a better shot at Pekovic IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by AUSSIE_HORNET View Post

They don't have to max Jefferson or extend Milsap. They've been mentoring Kanter and Favors to take their places for the past few seasons. Both players are former top 5 draft picks and are uber talented, especially Favors. Their cap space can and will be used elsewhere. Much like our team, its out with the vets and in with the young talent for the Jazz. And actually, we probably have a better shot at Jefferson, because I don't see Minnesota letting Pekovic go without a fight. He's slowly, but surely, become the third clog of their core. If he plays anywhere near last year's level, Pekovic isn't going anywhere.
    Last edited by PelsFan2313; 10-29-2012 at 12:12 AM.

They have been trying to trade Jefferson for over a year now, but his contract was too big. He is the odd man out of their 4 post players (Millsap will be much cheaper), and like NOH pointed out above, they want to give Kanter and Favors more minutes. They are the future.

Quote Originally Posted by NOH2313 View Post
    They don't have to max Jefferson or extend Milsap. They've been mentoring Kanter and Favors to take their places for the past few seasons. Both players are former top 5 draft picks and are uber talented, especially Favors. Their cap space can and will be used elsewhere. Much like our team, its out with the vets and in with the young talent for the Jazz. And actually, we probably have a better shot at Jefferson, because I don't see Minnesota letting Pekovic go without a fight. He's slowly, but surely, become the third clog of their core. If he plays anywhere near last year's level, Pekovic isn't going anywhere.
    They have been trying to trade Jefferson for over a year now, but his contract was too big. He is the odd man out of their 4 post players (Millsap will be much cheaper), and like NOH pointed out above, they want to give Kanter and Favors more minutes. They are the future.
    So if Utah are out with the old in with the new like the Hornets.....why would the Hornets want the old?
    Jefferson will be 28 by the time he is available for New Orleans.

What do you guys think about Timofey Mozgoz?
    I can’t see Denver affording him next season.

I seriously hope we have a crack at : Ty Lawson, Jrue Holiday, Nikola Pekovic and Timofey Mozgoz.
    All depending on how this season goes and what we pick up in the draft of course.

So if Utah are out with the old in with the new like the Hornets.....why would the Hornets want the old?
    Jefferson will be 28 by the time he is available for New Orleans.

What do you guys think about Timofey Mozgoz?
    I can’t see Denver affording him next season.

I seriously hope we have a crack at : Ty Lawson, Jrue Holiday, Nikola Pekovic and Timofey Mozgoz.
    All depending on how this season goes and what we pick up in the draft of course.
    Jefferson is going to be 28 next year, so we could sign him to a 4 year deal, and IMO, we would have a championship roster by 2014.

To answer your other question, I like Mozgov as a cheaper, depth option, but I'm not sure he is starter material. A guy like Jefferson though... man, you pair him with Davis, and they have literally perfectly complimentary games to each other. It could be a special pairing, especially since Jefferson is older and could be a great mentor to Davis, and probably teach him a thing or two about scoring on the block.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Bee-Fense's Avatar
    I would offer Stephen Curry a max to be honest. And I would give up Rivers to get him if need be.

I don't buy the injury prone label. Prior to last year, he played 154/164 games. His injuries have been ankle sprains... that's something that could be overcome more than say a knee surgery. His injuries scare me a lot less than Gordon's. I think he's a good fit for our team. He's someone that is an excellent spot up shooter, someone that can penetrate and dish, and someone that's actually a good pick n roll defender believe it or not. I think on this team he'd be an at least average defender overall. He's not good on his transitions, but I think Monty can fix that. With two (maybe 3 if Davis can be as efficient as he was in college) of the most hyperefficient players along with one of the best volume scorers in the NBA, we would be lethal. Throw in our other role players like Lopez, Smith, Vasquez, Miller, and our 2013 draft pick, we'd be taking huge steps forward. Injuries could be a problem, but if we can acquire solid depth at the guard positions, then it should make up for it.

Jennings worries me.. his attitude is obvious, but I just don't like his play next to Gordon. He's a high usage player on low efficiency. I'd rather not spend all of our money on him.

Holiday is about as average a PG as they come, and he'll come at a high price to get PHI to not match.

Iggy is probably the perfect player for us but the age differential and the money he'll ask for just screams another Peja situation. Davis won't be truly elite until another 3-4 years and by that time Iguodala will be around 32. Considering how much his game relies on athleticism, no thank you at that price.

Smith would be very interesting, but I just don't know about how that'd work fit wise. If Davis can show progress in his growth, I would definitely entertain that idea. Deadly shotblocking duo right there.

Anything else I find either unrealistic or not worth big $.

Thread Information