Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Pick a player, any player!

Pick a player, any player!

If there was one FA player we could acquire next season, who would you prefer, and at about what price do you think he can be had for? Not counting Howard, Bynum, or Paul because that's not happening. Anybody else is fair game.

Who do you think is the "missing piece", as Monty and Demps eloquently put it?

http://www.hoopsworld.com/2013-nba-free-agents/

And try to be a bit realistic in regards to team options and player options.

Fire away!
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    My current wishlist:
    1- Iggy
    2- Lawson
    3- JSmoove
    4- Jefferson
    5- Milsap
    Last edited by PelsFan2313; 10-28-2012 at 01:11 AM.

"I'm not going to allow my putative owner to answer that question, this is an NBA related press conference. Paul Tagliabue and Roger Goodell have collectively sung their praises of Tom and if uh ESPN has a problem with that tell Mr. Skipper to call me at my office."

We are going to be tracking this exact thing all year at Hornets247. Here is the first piece, complete with (made up) Vegas odds:

http://www.hornets247.com/2012/10/27...ing-the-field/

Personally, I love the idea of Josh Smith but I would be happy with any number of guys. My top 5:

1. CP3
    2. J-Smoove
    3. Iggy
    4. B Jennings
    5 (tie) S. Curry
    5 (tie) Paul Milsap

Curry or Jennings would cost us Rivers in a S&T similar to Gustavo for Ryan Anderson I imagine, but I would still do that. Ideally, though, Rivers develops and we just add a Smith, Iggy, or Milsap
    @mcnamara247

Either Iggy or Al Jefferson for $13-14 million.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    We are going to be tracking this exact thing all year at Hornets247. Here is the first piece, complete with (made up) Vegas odds:

Personally, I love the idea of Josh Smith but I would be happy with any number of guys. My top 5:

1. CP3
    2. J-Smoove
    3. Iggy
    4. B Jennings
    5 (tie) S. Curry
    5 (tie) Paul Milsap

Curry or Jennings would cost us Rivers in a S&T similar to Gustavo for Ryan Anderson I imagine, but I would still do that. Ideally, though, Rivers develops and we just add a Smith, Iggy, or Milsap
    There is no way I would give up on Rivers this early. Curry for Vasquez is more similar to the Anderson for Gustavo trade than Curry for Rivers is.

I have to say, though, that Rivers/Curry/Gordon would make for a fantastic 3 combo-guard rotation at the PG/SG positions. It's a nice idea, but I can't honestly see GS trading Curry.

Nice piece, by the way. Good research.

I want Paul Millsap. He'll be another added offensive/defensive force in our frontcourt rotation.

Quote Originally Posted by nolaslim213 View Post
    There is no way I would give up on Rivers this early. Curry for Vasquez is more similar to the Anderson for Gustavo trade than Curry for Rivers is.

I have to say, though, that Rivers/Curry/Gordon would make for a fantastic 3 combo-guard rotation at the PG/SG positions. It's a nice idea, but I can't honestly see GS trading Curry.

Nice piece, by the way. Good research.
    Thanks for the kind words, and of course I would rather give up GV- but you have to give to get and if it takes Rivers, then I do it. If all it takes is GV, then I do the happy dance all the way to the Finals in 2014

Quote Originally Posted by TPDG22 View Post
    I want Paul Millsap. He'll be another added offensive/defensive force in our frontcourt rotation.
    Agree- I know Milsap, Anderson, and Davis are all listed as power forwards on the program, but I think they would compliment each other very well and I would like to see any front court that could match up with those three

PG:
    CP3
    Jrue Holiday
    John Wall
    Rubio
    Teague
    Lowry
    Lawson
    Knight

SG:
    Iggy (SF)

SF:
    Kirilenko

PF:
    J-Smoove
    Millsap
    DWest
    Favors

C:
    Dwight
    Bynum
    Al Jeff
    DMC
    Monroe
    Kanter
    Splitter

Thanks for the kind words, and of course I would rather give up GV- but you have to give to get and if it takes Rivers, then I do it. If all it takes is GV, then I do the happy dance all the way to the Finals in 2014
    I don't think with Curry, we're in the finals still, but closer.

"I don't know if people know — I dislocated my pinkie finger. And [Tyreke] told me, 'You wanna go home or you wanna be here?' I want to be here. And he said, 'All right, then go tape it up and let's play. Let's go. We not stoppin' at no stores. Straight gas. That's what we do, just keep going.'"

http://thebasketbawlblog.com/

Boy busta I am with you on Kirilenko. He is a solid player. I would love Curry also but that ankle I think is questionable. At PF I like Milsap also I agree with Michael that Milsap, Davis & Anderson is would be hard match up for many front courts. Michael & I agree also on Josh Smith. If you Davis, Smith & Kirilenko, that is 3 verry good all around players. My other pick at guard would be Jrue Holliday or Ty Lawson. I think both are very under rated.

1. CP3
    2. J-Smoove
    3. Iggy
    4. B Jennings
    5 (tie) S. Curry
    5 (tie) Paul Milsap

I'm curious to hear why you think Jennings is such a great fit next to Gordon, Michael. To me, he's a ball-hog who takes a high number of ill advised shots. His attitude is highly questionable, and I can't see him willingly playing for a small-market team. And I think he looks at himself as a max-player. The market may play to that, and I hope we do not fall for that and overpay.

Slim has already convinced me in the past that Jefferson would be a nice fit here, and can be had for a reasonable contract. He'd provide some bulk in the inside, and more importantly, a post-scorer who can give us some easy points. Millsap would also be a great addition (for the right price, of course). He'd bring us more frontcourt depth, rebounding, post scoring, and veteran leadership.

Personally, I'm still all in for Iggy. I think he fits what we need the best: a lock down perimeter player who can fill up the stat sheet in a number of different categories (points, rebounds, assists, steals, etc).

I'm surprised more people haven't mentioned Smith. While I think he's the superior player to Iggy, I think Iggy is the better fit (I agree with Ryan's assessment from the last H247 podcast, basically) for reasons already mentioned.

Can't wait to see what our team looks like next year.
    Last edited by PelsFan2313; 10-28-2012 at 12:23 AM.

Most times, yes, but ask anyone who knows anything about basketball, and they would call you crazy if you seriously suggested a trade of Ayon for Anderson straight up. Things happen, and Curry is one of those "on the bubble" guys because he is going to command a nice salary, but he is injury prone - he didn't even play this preseason because of his ankle.

Just something to think about... If they don't extend him, I think we have a pretty good chance at prying him away from GS - especially since we already know that Dell and Monty love him as a player (according to "sources" from the Chris Paul trade rumors).

I just don't know if having 2 injury prone guys would be good. At least we have this season to see how many games both play. But the 2 together could be deadly most definitley.

Apparently, Denver only offered Lawson 4 years, $45 million, suggesting they may not offer him a max-type offer. If we could get him away with a max offer, I say do it.

Also, Big Al would be a great addition. I'm staying away from the CP3 or J-smoove dialogue, because i want to be realistic

I agree Ryno. But I think so much is going to depend on how much Gordon plays this year. I hope I am wrong but I just have a bad feeling about him & his health. Ever since the Johnson, Mourning, & Gill days, just when you think we are putting a great team together something happens. I guess its just me being pessimistic.

Band of Skulls & Neon Trees ramsters60's Avatar
    I could see Lawson or Holiday at the point here....it would be hard to argue against Smith and/or Iggy in the front court....
    "we might make dollars, but we don't necessarily make sense"

"always be sincere....whether you mean it or not"

Quote Originally Posted by Ryno_33 NOLA View Post
    Apparently, Denver only offered Lawson 4 years, $45 million, suggesting they may not offer him a max-type offer. If we could get him away with a max offer, I say do it.
    I'm on the fence with Lawson. I love him as a player, but I feel like the only way to acquire him is to offer him a max contract. And I do not think he is max-contract type of player. Overpaying players, after all, is the kryptonite to organizations striving to build long-lasting contenders. We have already committed a max contract to one of our players (who hasn't ever played an 82-game season); I don't think it'd be wise to dish out another one unless we are certain that this player is actually worth it. Especially considering the fact that we are a small market team and not the Los Angeles Lakers.

Don't get me started on Holiday. Such an overrated player. He hasn't proven anything to me that makes me remotely believe that he is worth anything over 9M per year (if that).
    Last edited by PelsFan2313; 10-28-2012 at 12:49 AM.

Hornets can afford to overpay one play IMO. Davis will have the production of a $15 million player and will only be making 6-8 during his rookie deal. If you have to overpay a Lawson, you do it. I mean, think of it as Lawson and Davis for 22 mil per year total and it makes it easier to swallow

And it is when you overpay guys on the backside of their prime (Peja, Posey) that you regret it. I dont mind overpaying a guy going into his prime

Hornets can afford to overpay one play IMO. Davis will have the production of a $15 million player and will only be making 6-8 during his rookie deal. If you have to overpay a Lawson, you do it. I mean, think of it as Lawson and Davis for 22 mil per year total and it makes it easier to swallow

And it is when you overpay guys on the backside of their prime (Peja, Posey) that you regret it. I dont mind overpaying a guy going into his prime
    Gotcha. I assume this means that you believe Lawson's production at least warrants a contract close to a max, and if we were to give him a max, we'd only be slightly overpaying. Fair enough.

"The going into the prime" argument was another solid point. I started to consider that when looking at the ages of some of the premier free agents next year. Holiday, for example, is only 22.

Either way, Lawson would be a great addition to our team......

He's one of the fastest players in the league, a great shooter, and an above average passer. His speed and play making ability is also much needed on our team.
    Last edited by PelsFan2313; 10-28-2012 at 01:13 AM.

I have Lawson listed as 100:1 in my post because I think he is the one most likely to sign an extension by Oct. 31st. But if he does, I dont see any way the Nuggets can keep Wilson Chandler and Iggy. Iggy is going to ask for a max or close max, and with the years he has in the league, that would be around 4 years and 75 million or 5 years, 100 million. Obviously Hornets would only be able to give him 4 years, but that number would scare mea bit. But if Davis shows that he is good enough to win big now, I do it and press forward with that core.

A lot of options for the Hornets if they keep their flexibility. I am going to look forward to tracking this throughout the year

Get a PG and move Rivers to Harden like 6th man position backing up both PG and SG.

1)CP3
    2)Curry
    3)Lawson
    4)Holiday
    5)Jennings

If we get any of these guys we are set!

Quote Originally Posted by nolaslim213 View Post
    Most times, yes, but ask anyone who knows anything about basketball, and they would call you crazy if you seriously suggested a trade of Ayon for Anderson straight up.
    Ayon for Anderson wasn't just a straight up trade though. We threw in Ayon for some extra inctinitve for the Magic not to match. It was more like we signed Anderson and then gave them Ayon for compensation.

Bring CP3 home and Draft a SF. We have enough length as it is right now. We need someone who can actually facilitate a freaking offense!

With the new tax rules coming into affect, a lot more players will be able to be had in trades. I am not sure we should focus solely on free agents. Im just not exactly sure who we would want.

Thread Information