Pelicans Report

View Poll Results: Starting SF should be...

Voters
75. You may not vote on this poll
  • Al Farouq Aminu

35 46.67%
  • Darius Miller

28 37.33%
  • Lance Thomas

2 2.67%
  • Xavier Henry

5 6.67%
  • Ryan Anderson

5 6.67%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: POLL: Who would YOU start at SF?

Honestly, I can't see an argument for anyone except Miller at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by MeSoHornets504 View Post
    Honestly, I can't see an argument for anyone except Miller at this point.
    3 main reasons for me:

1) Rookie - You never want to throw rookies into the fire unless you have to. Davis is an exception, and Rivers will only start if Gordon is still injured.

2) Aminu knows the system better than Miller, and he is a better overall defender/rebounder. Sure, Miller can hit the open J, and I think that is why he will eventually take over, but he has to get the mental aspect down first.

3) Aminu has experience as a starter, so he knows what to expect from the elite SFs in this league. Miller still has to learn, and that relates to point #1. You don't want to shatter Miller's confidence at such a young age. Start him slow, and give him more minutes as the season progresses.

Quote Originally Posted by nolaslim213 View Post
    3 main reasons for me:

1) Rookie - You never want to throw rookies into the fire unless you have to. Davis is an exception, and Rivers will only start if Gordon is still injured.

2) Aminu knows the system better than Miller, and he is a better overall defender/rebounder. Sure, Miller can hit the open J, and I think that is why he will eventually take over, but he has to get the mental aspect down first.

3) Aminu has experience as a starter, so he knows what to expect from the elite SFs in this league. Miller still has to learn, and that relates to point #1. You don't want to shatter Miller's confidence at such a young age. Start him slow, and give him more minutes as the season progresses.
    You always agree with me lol. Miller is a ROOKIE, these people dont understand
    Ballin

But he is older than Aminu and Henry, and quite simply, he is the superior player. Anthony Davis is a rookie, but he will start over Jason Smith because he is better. This ROOKIE argument holds no water for me. Gustavo Ayon was a rookie last year. I can go on and on
    @mcnamara247

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    But he is older than Aminu and Henry, and quite simply, he is the superior player. Anthony Davis is a rookie, but he will start over Jason Smith because he is better. This ROOKIE argument holds no water for me. Gustavo Ayon was a rookie last year. I can go on and on
    Age has nothing to do with it. It's years in the league. This is Aminu's 3rd year in the league. It doesn't matter how old he is. What matters is that he has been going against NBA competition for 2 years, whereas Miller hasn't even sniffed an NBA SF yet.

Anthony Davis was the #1 pick, so that is a horrible argument. Besides, there are always rookie exceptions. I don't think Miller is ready yet mentally, but if Monty thinks differently, then he'll start. To be honest, none of us know what the hell we are talking about because we don't watch them practice. This is 100% speculation, and the logic falls on my side. Miller should come off the bench until he learns the offense and gets accustomed to NBA talent. Once he does that, then he should take over for Aminu.

By the way, I hope that Miller starts, because I love his shot and what he brings to the table. I guess we'll see what happens Wed night...

what makes you think that miller isn't mentally ready, just curious. Does aminu look more mentally ready?

Gustavo Ayon was a 26 year old "rookie" that had been playing professional basketball for like 6 years before he came over to the NBA. That is a big difference from Miller, who only played college ball and is only 22 years old. That argument doesn't hold water IMO.
    Last edited by nolaslim213; 10-26-2012 at 09:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Mojo View Post
    what makes you think that miller isn't mentally ready, just curious. Does aminu look more mentally ready?
    It's just the general fact of the NBA that most rookies need a little time to adjust to the league. It's way more complicated, and the players are far more athletic and skilled. There is an adjustment period that almost all rookies go through. Miller looks solid on the court, and I like what I'm seeing from him in terms of his shot and his man-man defense. We don't know how he is executing the team offense, we don't know how he is executing the team defense, etc... There are things that we couldn't possibly know about his development that only Monty could know, so this is all speculation.

Like I said above, I hope he starts. Love his shot, love his defensive intensity. Hopefully, he is handling the transition well, but we wouldn't be able to know that.

very true thanks. I am just really looking forward to some consistency from the position, as im sure we all are. The spot is there for the taking for whomever can provide that.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Mojo View Post
    very true thanks. I am just really looking forward to some consistency from the position, as im sure we all are. The spot is there for the taking for whomever can provide that.
    No problem.

What makes this interesting is that Aminu had a double-double tonight with something like 13 points and 10 rebounds (7-8 FTs). If he can stop shooting those stupid 20-foot fade away jumpers, he would be something like 3-5 from the field, which would be great. He needs to learn that he isn't a shooter, so he just needs to stick to driving to the basket, rebounding, and playing defense. He looked good tonight, though - with the exception of his mental lapse where he let Miller his like 4 open 3s.

Tell me you want Aminu to start over Miller because he is better at X or because he compliments Y player better. Don't tell me he should start over Miller because Miller is a rookie. That's all I'm saying.

Fact is that whoever starts will be one of the bottom five starting SF's in the league, so we are nitpicking. I just don't believe Aminu would be in the conversation if he was the same exact player but was drafted 48th- even if he did have two years of NBA experience.

Tell me you want Aminu to start over Miller because he is better at X or because he compliments Y player better. Don't tell me he should start over Miller because Miller is a rookie. That's all I'm saying.

Fact is that whoever starts will be one of the bottom five starting SF's in the league, so we are nitpicking. I just don't believe Aminu would be in the conversation if he was the same exact player but was drafted 48th- even if he did have two years of NBA experience.
    I get what you are saying man, and I agree with you to some extent. Miller is a fantastic shooter, and I want him on the floor to open things up for Davis, Rivers, and Gordon to do their thing. I just don't think he is ready because he has no experience. It is not common at all for mid-2nd round picks to start. That's all I'm saying. If he ends up starting, I would be totally fine with it. I just don't expect it to happen.

It is not common at all for mid-2nd round picks to start
    This is a fact; however, you have to think the reason for that is that they were always competing for the spot with a more talented starter - its at the very least debatable that this is not the case with darius and chief.

Irrational Optimist Contributor neworleanshoo's Avatar
    Aminu - but Darius is the first sub to come in, and could easily take over by year's end. Think both will be good players for us.

PG- Vasquez/ Rivers
    SG- Gordon/ Mason
    SF- Aminu/ Miller
    PF- Davis/ Anderson
    C-- Lopez/ Smith
    Last edited by neworleanshoo; 10-27-2012 at 09:59 AM.

A lot of votes for Aminu since last night's game. He trailed Miller by quite a few votes, now he's ahead 32-26.

Aminu played well last night, but I think his offense is directly affected by how well the guards are playing. This is why I think he's the best starter at SF when Gordon is in the line-up. His defense and rebounding is much better than Miller while his offense isn't too far behind if the guards can get him the ball in the right spot due to his athleticism.

Quote Originally Posted by bradael View Post
    A lot of votes for Aminu since last night's game. He trailed Miller by quite a few votes, now he's ahead 32-26.

Aminu played well last night, but I think his offense is directly affected by how well the guards are playing. This is why I think he's the best starter at SF when Gordon is in the line-up. His defense and rebounding is much better than Miller while his offense isn't too far behind if the guards can get him the ball in the right spot due to his athleticism.
    yeah seems like he earned the starting role after last night but i guess we won't know until wednesday

Teams will lay off of Aminu in the regular season daring him to shoot. Also, his ball-handling isn't much better, especially in the half court. He will have to score on dunks and layups and it will help having Gordon out there. He should start now, but apparently his offense will become a liability. Miller will have to be able defend if he wants to start because Aminu is a great talent defensively. Also, with Anderson living on the perimeter, Aminu's rebounding will be important.

Emeka Okafor - Joe Smith - Carmelo Anthony - Manu Ginobili - Jason Williams

Al Jefferson - James Posey - Aaron McKie - Shaun Livingston

I wrote this about you Mr. West's Avatar
    Its all about what ave you done for me lately. AFA got us a double double lately, so he gets the votes.

If Aminu can do something similar to that consistantly though, he deserves that starting spot.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. West View Post
    Its all about what ave you done for me lately. AFA got us a double double lately, so he gets the votes.

If Aminu can do something similar to that consistantly though, he deserves that starting spot.
    Stay agressive, get fouled, rebound, and play defense is all we need from him. He should get at least 4 alley-oop attempts every single game.

On a permanent Holiday! Purple Haze's Avatar
    I think it should be a combo of Aminu and Miller, doesn't really matter. Both have shown their good hands this preseason.
    Wherehappens.

Thread Information