Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Very worried about this offense

Quote Originally Posted by Kibner View Post
    I don't think he was drafted to play the typical PG. I think the plan is to have two combo guards that are excellent at scoring and ball-handling with at least average passing skills. Basically, all aggression all the time. It fits well with Davis and Anderson who will be able to punish any mistakes by the defense.
    I don't think it fits as well as you may think. Davis will take a few years to develop his post game and will need a lot of buckets to be assisted on, and Ryno is also a guy who really needs to be assisted. I think we need a set up artist personally to ever really contend. Then again this team isn't totally built let, so i'll let Dell do his work before judging on it.

"I don't know if people know — I dislocated my pinkie finger. And [Tyreke] told me, 'You wanna go home or you wanna be here?' I want to be here. And he said, 'All right, then go tape it up and let's play. Let's go. We not stoppin' at no stores. Straight gas. That's what we do, just keep going.'"

http://thebasketbawlblog.com/

Quote Originally Posted by BallSoHard View Post
    I don't think it fits as well as you may think. Davis will take a few years to develop his post game and will need a lot of buckets to be assisted on, and Ryno is also a guy who really needs to be assisted. I think we need a set up artist personally to ever really contend. Then again this team isn't totally built let, so i'll let Dell do his work before judging on it.
    I agree with this.

This team needs Gordon a ton as well. He opens up the floor for other guys, but Gordon needs guys like Anderson and Miller to help spread the floor for him.

Emeka Okafor - Joe Smith - Carmelo Anthony - Manu Ginobili - Jason Williams

Al Jefferson - James Posey - Aaron McKie - Shaun Livingston

I'm not a fan of the two combo guard look altogether. The only place you can say it's successful is in OKC. And I don't think that's the best comparison because Harden a) comes off the bench and b) he has more of a PG feel then most SG's.

But like you said this is Dell's vision and it will take time to before we can truly dissect the result. If they both can stay healthy enough that is.
    Last edited by da ThRONe; 10-27-2012 at 10:45 AM.

That's the thing. Davis won't need a strong post game if we have two players that are dangerous with the ball in their hands. The defense will be slacking off of him and Anderson in order to help out. The more guys you have that are able to get to the rim, the better the looks the rest of the team will have. They setup others by drawing defenders towards them. It does require two players to have strong ball-handling, great finishing, respectable jumpshots, and a modicum of vision in order to pass to the open guy.

Gordon will be back for opening game right? Things will look a lot different when he is in there. They are missing him badly.

Quote Originally Posted by Kibner View Post
    That's the thing. Davis won't need a strong post game if we have two players that are dangerous with the ball in their hands. The defense will be slacking off of him and Anderson in order to help out. The more guys you have that are able to get to the rim, the better the looks the rest of the team will have. They setup others by drawing defenders towards them. It does require two players to have strong ball-handling, great finishing, respectable jumpshots, and a modicum of vision in order to pass to the open guy.
    I tend to disagree here. I think you need as many methods to manufacture points as possible and a post game will be one of those. Considering Lopez and Anderson wont ever be post scorers, I think the burden falls on Davis. Also, i'm certainly not sold on River's pick and roll ability at all at this point. So once Gordon goes out of the game, then what? All we rely on is rivers being able to take his man off the dribble and either finish or set up ? What happens if he has a ball stopper on him, where do we get points then when they can press the 3 point line.

^ That is when you bring in Vasquez. And Anderson's post game is not bad at all. He is more productive shooting 3s, though.

Yeah, we will see. I think we can still win 35-40ish games which is fine for me.

I don't think Davis will be a post scorer anytime soon. I bet he becomes a guy who wil face his defenders and shoot over them or drive past them to the bucket. Similar to the Admiral.

Quote Originally Posted by Hornets78 View Post
    I don't think Davis will be a post scorer anytime soon. I bet he becomes a guy who wil face his defenders and shoot over them or drive past them to the bucket. Similar to the Admiral.
    Think his offensive game will be like Lamarcus Alridge's, start off as a face-up but learn the post game as he puts on the pounds and strength. I don't see him shooting a ton of 3's like Love. I think he's got the skill set to be a post/face up/ driving type guy on the offensive end. And he's a good passer which would only help him in the post as he can start to demand double teams. What makes guys elite is when they can draw those double teams by creating mismatches and get their teammates open. I think Davis does this eventually by being in the post and learns his body a little more.

Thread Information