Pelicans Report

Thread: Stern to retire in 2014

NBA Stern to retire in 2014

NBA commissioner David Stern will retire on Feb. 1, 2014, completing a 30-year run in which he helped grow the league to dramatic new heights of popularity.

The elevation of Adam Silver, Stern's deputy, to commissioner was unanimously approved Thursday by the NBA Board of Governors.
    http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/85...missioner-2014

Adam Silvers bringin sexy back

David Stern is the best thing that has happened to New Orleans basketball. Shame to see that his reign is coming to an end soon. He's done so much to expand the game globally and will surely be missed.

"I'm not going to allow my putative owner to answer that question, this is an NBA related press conference. Paul Tagliabue and Roger Goodell have collectively sung their praises of Tom and if uh ESPN has a problem with that tell Mr. Skipper to call me at my office."

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar

Report: Stern will sign with Hornets in off season
    looking for team to bandwagon, pls help

Quote Originally Posted by dcoop View Post
    Report: Stern will sign with Hornets in off season
    I also heard he may veto his on retirement.
    CAW CAW!!!

-Founder and valuable member of the Caw Caw Boyz-

David Stern's commitment to keeping Hornets in New Orleans never wavered

Former New Orleans Hornets owner George Shinn was caught off guard Thursday when David Stern announced he will step down as NBA commissioner Feb. 1, 2014, 30 years after he took over the league. But believing that the league is in terrific condition, Stern announced his plans to retire, and the NBA Board of Governors unanimously voted to have Deputy Commissioner Adam Silver succeed him.

"I’m telling you he’s going to be missed,’’ Shinn said Thursday by telephone from his home in Tennessee. "I don’t see anybody filling that man’s shoes. I just can’t imagine the NBA without him. If I was still in the NBA, I would sell my team right now. He’s the primary reason why the league is so successful.’’

As far as New Orleans sports fans are concerned, Stern's main legacy will be his commitment to keeping the Hornets in the Crescent City after Hurricane Katrina made an already tough market even tougher. When Shinn was heavily in debt and his impending sale of the franchise to his minority partner Gary Chouest stalled, the NBA purchased the Hornets for just more than $300 million in December 2010.

Stern appointed New Orleans native Jac Sperling as the team’s chairman and governor and gave him instructions to seek potential buyers willing to keep the team in the Crescent City.

That task was completed last April when Saints owner Tom Benson bought the team for $338 million.

Benson was traveling back from the league’s Board of Governors meetings in New York and could not be reached for comment Thursday.
    http://www.nola.com/hornets/index.ss...ets_own_1.html

Stern will have his number hanging from the rafters in the arena... oh what?

Vote Voodoo! Contributor Unknown Poster's Avatar
    Overall I think he did a pretty mediocre to poor job with letting the league get out of control promotion super stars and such but there is no denying this city/region owes him the world for keeping the team here.
    "Hornets means nothing." - Tom Benson

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Trell's Avatar
    The man who saved Hornets basketball! Love ya Stern BAAAbyyy. Honestly I'm kinda happy for, now he can spend the rest of his life chilling and relaxing knowing he was the best com ever.

I'd say he's the best of the big 4 commissioners.

Thread Information