Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Give Greivis a break.

Give Greivis a break.

Last night was not the best night for the Hornets; we look like a team without a system. While watching the game I was following the comments in the game thread, and was a bit surprised about how harsh some of the comments where towards Vasquez. First of all let me clarify that I agree he didn’t play well, and I think he has had a terrible preseason. Nevertheless, it seems like for many people he was the worst player in the team last night. The fact of the matter is that a lot of what went wrong with his game was not entirely his fault. Last night the team didn’t move, in most of the runs, there were hardly any opportunities to get good offensive passes due to the lack of initiative in the team in general. In the first quarter there was no one that would make a jump shot. Thomas and Rivers were playing really bad, and without them getting the open spaces, it was all in the hands of Davis and Lopez, and at least at the beginning they were missing many shots. Now let’s look at Vasquez stats: He took 8 shots, made 4. Of the 4 he missed one of them was a good penetration that got blocked by an amazing defensive play to the point that the commentators expended about 2 minutes talking about how good the defense was. Then the other 3 shots were really ugly shots that he took when frustrated for not being able to get the offense going on time. These 3 shots I agree are pretty much entirely his fault. Then he had 5 assists, but about 8 more good passes that were not converted. Finally, you have to see who was with him in the court. There was no Gordon, no Smith, Rivers was missing every shot before getting injured, and Thomas was a disaster. In the 3rd quarter when Anderson and Miler starting making some open shots, the offense looked a bit better and Vasquez got 4 of his 5 assists then. So chill out this is not the end of the world, and even when I don’t like Vasquez in the point guard position that is certainly NOT our main problem now. As we stand at the moment our only healthy second guard is Roberts, and under the basket we only have Lopez and Davis, so lest get real, and realize that the Vasquez problem is perhaps the least of our worries right now.

Amen!!!

Quote Originally Posted by morsatun View Post
    Last night was not the best night for the Hornets; we look like a team without a system. While watching the game I was following the comments in the game thread, and was a bit surprised about how harsh some of the comments where towards Vasquez.

First of all let me clarify that I agree he didn’t play well, and I think he has had a terrible preseason. Nevertheless, it seems like for many people he was the worst player in the team last night. The fact of the matter is that a lot of what went wrong with his game was not entirely his fault.

Last night the team didn’t move, in most of the runs, there were hardly any opportunities to get good offensive passes due to the lack of initiative in the team in general. In the first quarter there was no one that would make a jump shot. Thomas and Rivers were playing really bad, and without them getting the open spaces, it was all in the hands of Davis and Lopez, and at least at the beginning they were missing many shots.

Now let’s look at Vasquez stats: He took 8 shots, made 4. Of the 4 he missed one of them was a good penetration that got blocked by an amazing defensive play to the point that the commentators expended about 2 minutes talking about how good the defense was. Then the other 3 shots were really ugly shots that he took when frustrated for not being able to get the offense going on time. These 3 shots I agree are pretty much entirely his fault. Then he had 5 assists, but about 8 more good passes that were not converted.

Finally, you have to see who was with him in the court. There was no Gordon, no Smith, Rivers was missing every shot before getting injured, and Thomas was a disaster. In the 3rd quarter when Anderson and Miler starting making some open shots, the offense looked a bit better and Vasquez got 4 of his 5 assists then.

So chill out this is not the end of the world, and even when I don’t like Vasquez in the point guard position that is certainly NOT our main problem now. As we stand at the moment our only healthy second guard is Roberts, and under the basket we only have Lopez and Davis, so lest get real, and realize that the Vasquez problem is perhaps the least of our worries right now.
    Formatted the Text Wall of Dooooooommmm so that it is readable to us common folk.

Quote Originally Posted by Kibner View Post
    Formatted the Text Wall of Dooooooommmm so that it is readable to us common folk.
    Take it down to 3 or 4 sentences and we in business.

greivis is killing it in preseason, dude is in 2nd place among all players in assists, ur PG isnt supposed to score... especially when u have people like gordon gordon ryno rivers and davis playing with him, u need a facilitator, we will get our outside shooting from gordon, ryno, mason, miller and rivers.

^ You want everyone to be able to score effectively. If your PG can't score, then his passing lanes and many other aspects of running the offense become much more difficult.

^ You want everyone to be able to score effectively. If your PG can't score, then his passing lanes and many other aspects of running the offense become much more difficult.
    Not to mention teams will pressure him early when the games count so the offense will start with 16 seconds on the shot clock.

Vasquez can score. That isn't a problem. He is just looking to set up his teammates. The whole team is having trouble shooting right now, but that will work itself out. Vasquez is fine.

Vasquez is fine for a backup role and spot starter. That's it. He is not good enough on offense (scoring, passing, and everything else) to make up for his physical limitations. He is not able to create very well for others. I haven't seen him able to play off the ball and consistently knockdown perimeter shots which is going to suck when Gordon comes back because Eric is a much better ball handler and creator than Vasquez.

I love the dude, but he is one of the many, many players that are holding our offense back from being league average and he doesn't have enough room to grow to change that. He is what he is at this point and I don't expect him to get much better. Taking smarter shots and forcing less passes, but that's it.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Vasquez's issues will not show up on a stat sheet or some advanced stat. Unless there's a measure of awareness.

I like Vasquez but realize he should still be a backup. Just watch him trying to execute a simple pick and roll. It basically takes him the rest of the shot clock to do anything with it.... I like him better when he is not relied on to "set up" his teammates.

I agree and completely understand, greivis can score, he can drive into the lane and hit the 3, im just saying his main priority is passing and he is very good at that because of his size and vision. His shot can and will improve. You cant teach height or vision. Let him get some reps. Eventually austin will take the spot though, like i said shooting is easily fixed and austin can do everything, incredible handles and driving, his shot will be easily fixed, he shot 44% from 3 in college, his shots will start to fall.

Vazquez is terrible. He is not an NBA point guard. His court vision is TERRIBLE, he missed so many alley-oop and layup opportunities last night and throughout the preseason. Vazquez cannot lead a team and he cannot run an offense. He is also very heavy-footed and will be abused by most PGs.
    8 TOs, but it could have been so much more. Honestly, almost every pass was stolen or almost stolen.

Part of Vasquez problem is the offense that we "run"...... What type of offense to we run again? I did not see a lot of sets or plays called, and I think there is a reason we can't score the ball ----1) we have NO PG. 2) Our coach has no offense.

I know Monty is considered a great coach, but why is that exactly? For a defensive minded coach, we don't play good defense. On the offensive end? well it is obvious we dont spend enough time on it, (self-admitted by Monty) .

Would somebody please tell our coach that unless we plan to hold teams under 70 points a game, HE MIGHT WANT TO SPEND MORE TIME INSTALLING AN OFFENSE?

Even the best defense in history is going to allow 85+ a night.

The Opinion Business Contributor gerryv's Avatar
    Its not the offense that they run.its the lack of offensive quicks at the position.I've seen several situations where ( as i've said many times) the guard must have the 'escape game" that allows him to get away from defenders and create so he won't be locked into to staying with a play...simply break it off and play ( random situation)...same hold true in the open floor...there were monets last night tta could have easily translated into "open floor turnouts"...its too easy for the defense to keep him in front of them...Vasquez is a nice guard that is suited for a PACE+STRUCTURE attack......gives you a different look.....need more 'attack playmaking quicks for a starter'
    1-What does not move is dead.What has speed,and mobilty has more possibilities,more life...quickness creates luck.

2- Your Defense is only as good as your HELP/ROTATING defenders.

3-Games are won while the ball is in the air.

4- You design your roster to win a 7 game series not a one game confrontation.

Quote Originally Posted by Bongzilla View Post
    Vazquez is terrible. He is not an NBA point guard. His court vision is TERRIBLE,
    so after a few preseason games, fans think he has no court vision?
    I know he got a lot of turn overs. How did he get 11 assist in a game without court vision....

Quote Originally Posted by jacklvyn View Post
    so after a few preseason games, fans think he has no court vision?
    I know he got a lot of turn overs. How did he get 11 assist in a game without court vision....
    It's not consistant.

"I don't know if people know — I dislocated my pinkie finger. And [Tyreke] told me, 'You wanna go home or you wanna be here?' I want to be here. And he said, 'All right, then go tape it up and let's play. Let's go. We not stoppin' at no stores. Straight gas. That's what we do, just keep going.'"

http://thebasketbawlblog.com/

The Opinion Business Contributor gerryv's Avatar
    There are different type of assists......my concern is when teams put pressure on him...and of course when he has to defend ...lacks required foot speed....don't get me wrong,he is a nice player...i simply look at him as the backup type pt guard.

Quote Originally Posted by gerryv View Post
    There are different type of assists......my concern is when teams put pressure on him...and of course when he has to defend ...lacks required foot speed....don't get me wrong,he is a nice player...i simply look at him as the backup type pt guard.
    Same. I don't think he's a guy that ever really breaks down the defense and creates open shots. If guys are open, I'm sure he can hit them sometimes, but I don't think he ever creates assist; just takes the ones defenses give to him.

Quote Originally Posted by BallSoHard View Post
    It's not consistant.
    The turnover number is not consistant as well. If he gets that many turnovers each time, I am sure no one would like him.

He is the kind of guy that want to take more risk to have nice assists. He is young and trying to do too much sometimes.
    I just expect him to play under control in the game later considering playing with many new teammates. I just hope he realized he is not playing with his old friends like Belli, Jason smith in these games who he used to play with a lot last season. I also hope fans would have more patience when these guys are still knowing each other.

I wrote this about you Mr. West's Avatar
    As a pretty big Vasquez fan, I just say I hope he can get it together.

I think he is gonna struggle against miami... Jeremy lin style. When i went to the game I noticed vasquez cant create separation from his defender when needed. That is his main problem while running the offense.

Vote Voodoo! Contributor Unknown Poster's Avatar
    Why all the drama over Vasquez? He's a good guy but he's basically just a backup. He's a decent stop gap but he will never develop into a true starting quality PG. That's just reality.
    "Hornets means nothing." - Tom Benson

The biggest mistake we made was not going after Machado when we had the chance.

Quote Originally Posted by BallSoHard View Post
    Same. I don't think he's a guy that ever really breaks down the defense and creates open shots. If guys are open, I'm sure he can hit them sometimes, but I don't think he ever creates assist; just takes the ones defenses give to him.
    I approve this message.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nola Hornet View Post
    The biggest mistake we made was not going after Machado when we had the chance.
    Are you so certain we didn't? I'm 99.9% sure we pursued him but he chose to sign elsewhere.

Found the tweet:

@WojYahooNBA

Undrafted Iona guard Scott Machado has Bobcats, Cavaliers, Hawks, Hornets, Raptors, Rockets calling for summer league, sources tell Y!
    Last edited by Eman5805; 10-25-2012 at 08:13 PM.

Thread Information