Pelicans Report

Thread: Lopez adds much-needed presence in paint

Lopez adds much-needed presence in paint

When asked what he was most looking forward to at the start of the 2012-13 NBA season, his answer was simply, “To push around and get physical with other players besides my teammates.” This, after Robin Lopez and his teammates had been hard at work against one another through the offseason and training camp.

It’s that kind of intensity and physicality that Hornets fans can expect to see out of the fifth-year center all season long.

The 7-foot Stanford product was selected 15th overall in the 2008 NBA Draft and spent the first four seasons of his career with the Phoenix Suns. After learning under the tutelage of perennial All-Star center and NBA legend Shaquille O’Neal during his rookie campaign, Lopez emerged in Year 2, recording a career-best 8.4 points, 4.9 rebounds, and 1.0 blocks per game in 2009-10. Lopez and the Phoenix Suns parted ways after four seasons this summer as the Hornets acquired the big man in a sign-and-trade on July 27, a deal that also included Hakim Warrick.

The 24-year-old and the Hornets are excited about starting this new chapter in their respective histories together, with Lopez as the team’s starting center. New Orleans coaches and staff expect the Fresno, Calif., native to provide a defensive and rebounding presence at the 5 position, to smooth the NBA transition of No. 1 overall pick Anthony Davis. However, it’s Lopez’s ability to add scoring punch that the rookie has noticed early in their time in the gym together.

http://www.nba.com/hornets/blog/lope...e-paint-102212

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Sideshow Bob is comin' to get ya!

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    A lot of people were underrating Lopez when we first got him, I loved the move and I think he will turn out to be a very solid center for us.

Is he allergic to the gym?

The thing that has surprised me about him is how fast he is at securing the rebound. Even when the ball is knocked out, he is very quick getting to the ball and securing it. I'm used to seeing balls knocked away going to the opposing team as the Big man usually just lets it go. But not Lopez. He is relentless going after the ball. He also has great touch around the basket. Anything within 3 feet is usually automatic for him.

The one thing that you don't want to consistently have him do is posting up on the high post. This is where a lot of of issues stem from on offense. When he has to back down his opponent and dribble on the high post, he has a tendency to turn the ball over or take a hook shot out of his range. This is why it's extremely important for him to get good positioning on the low post. This guy is going to make a living with put backs.

Is it me or does he look quicker than he did with the Suns this past year? He looks very quick and runs the floor very well. Usually one of the first to get back on defense.

Thread Information