Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Are any of these PG's worth MAX type of money???

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Spaniard's Avatar

Are any of these PG's worth MAX type of money???

I'm not ignoring this season, etc etc. But I am looking long term for this team. I feel very good about Gordon at the 2, Davis at the 4 and Lopez at the 5. At 23, 19 and 24, these guys could man those positions for years.

Obviously Rivers is a big part of our future as well, and you would think that would be at PG. But if we are going to make a major improvement on this team, I believe it is at PG and SF, and Rivers can get plenty of minutes as a swing.

Seeing as we have max money and plenty of guys that would make suitable backups, I wanted to look what's truly out there to make a big splash in 2013. And what jumps out is the PG position.

Now I know people will want to dream of Chris Paul, Dwight Howard and Andrew Bynum. And that's fine, but if you take them out of the equation as well as the team options, I want some thoughts on these guys:

Steph Curry
    Ty Lawson
    Brandon Jennings
    Jrue Holiday
    Jeff Teague

Each is looking at a restricted free agency year, but if we're willing to pay up, each would be a stretch to argue near max money. Are any of these guys someone you would break the bank to make a part of this team?

To me, only Ty Lawson would make me consider the deal it would take to pry him away. I'm starting to wonder if it will be difficult to use our cap space.

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    Curry or Lawson =

But being honest and realistic, this team is committed to the development of Rivers. Unless he is a complete flop plan on him being here at least 2-3 years.

Nope but if I also notice that I'm tighter than most. If anybody Lawson but for me even that is insane.

I'd love Lawson. Thing is, he thrives in a high pace environment. Would he be a great fit here, where Monty likes to slow it down?

Quote Originally Posted by RaisingTheBrow View Post
    Curry or Lawson =

But being honest and realistic, this team is committed to the development of Rivers. Unless he is a complete flop plan on him being here at least 2-3 years.
    I love Curry the player. But his ankle concerns to me would be scary as hell to add on to Gordon. It's one thing to bank on Gordon to be healthy and make a run. But needing both Gordon and Curry to stay healthy is probably asking for too much. Now if Curry plays every game this season, maybe that changes my mind. He would be the perfect type of player along side Gordon in my opinion because Gordon can drive and dish and Curry will knock it down.

None are WORTH max money, but they'll garner max money to pull them away from their current teams. Maybe if Jennings has a bad season he could be "gotten". Really with the New CBO, theres like 4 guys on the list that are WORTH max money:

Westbrook
    Rose
    CP3
    Williams

On the Fringe:

Rondo
    Irving (If he continues to progress)
    Parker

May have missed someone, don't kill me for it lol.

"I don't know if people know — I dislocated my pinkie finger. And [Tyreke] told me, 'You wanna go home or you wanna be here?' I want to be here. And he said, 'All right, then go tape it up and let's play. Let's go. We not stoppin' at no stores. Straight gas. That's what we do, just keep going.'"

http://thebasketbawlblog.com/

Vote Voodoo! Contributor Unknown Poster's Avatar
    They didn't draft Rivers at #10 to sit on the bench. This team isn't going to be spending any kind of significant money on a PG. Not unless they trade Gordon after a year.
    "Hornets means nothing." - Tom Benson

Why not develop Rivers as a James Harden 6th man and go out and sign Curry or Lawson.

Curry/Rivers
    Gordon/Rivers

From that list, if I really had to, I'd take Lawson or Jrue. I wouldn't feel comfortable trusting Curry to stay healthy at this moment...

Quote Originally Posted by hornetstime247 View Post
    Why not develop Rivers as a James Harden 6th man
    I wish this was the case. It would allow him to be the #1 option off the bench and have him as the focus of the 2nd unit. I feel like he's not playing his game and it's really hurting his productivity. I actually rather have him jack up 10 shots in limited minutes and get streaky against back ups vs the way we're currently trying to utilize him at the moment.

If they are serious about developing him as a PG, why isn't he getting minutes as a PG in these preseason games?

Quote Originally Posted by Nola Hornet View Post
    I wish this was the case. It would allow him to be the #1 option off the bench and have him as the focus of the 2nd unit. I feel like he's not playing his game and it's really hurting his productivity. I actually rather have him jack up 10 shots in limited minutes and get streaky against back ups vs the way we're currently trying to utilize him at the moment.

If they are serious about developing him as a PG, why isn't he getting minutes as a PG in these preseason games?
    Because Eric Gordon is hurt. Monty never said he was trying to develop him as a PG. Just play him with Eric Gordon. Gordon would be ball dominate and Rivers would play off guard, yet with enough handles to help carry the load. I think the plan all along was to make Gordon more of a point guy. Monty is serious when he says they are guards, not point or shooting.

Quote Originally Posted by iNolaNightmare View Post
    Off subject but can someone please tell me how to make my sig pic larger? It keeps coming up really small. Thanks in advance.
    Well, there are enhancement pills you could try.

Off subject but can someone please tell me how to make my sig pic larger? It keeps coming up really small. Thanks in advance.
    Well, there are enhancement pills you could try.

Quote Originally Posted by hornetstime247 View Post
    Why not develop Rivers as a James Harden 6th man and go out and sign Curry or Lawson.

Curry/Rivers
    Gordon/Rivers
    Common, well-founded sentiment. However, as already mentioned, I think we are too committed to developing Rivers at the 1 to go after a "max" PG. Our missing piece, as Demps and Monty mentioned, more than likely fits the mold of a 3, maybe a 5.

"I'm not going to allow my putative owner to answer that question, this is an NBA related press conference. Paul Tagliabue and Roger Goodell have collectively sung their praises of Tom and if uh ESPN has a problem with that tell Mr. Skipper to call me at my office."

I agree with those that say PG is the last place we need to invest. Rivers/Vasquez is the future. EJ plays some PG too. I think we will sign a big name SF or C.

Just to let some of you guys know, Harden started at SF for the Thunder tonight against Luol Deng. I still think he is the guy we go after in FA, and just play him at SF for us.

I agree with those that say PG is the last place we need to invest. Rivers/Vasquez is the future. EJ plays some PG too. I think we will sign a big name SF or C.

Just to let some of you guys know, Harden started at SF for the Thunder tonight against Luol Deng. I still think he is the guy we go after in FA, and just play him at SF for us.

Andre would be the Kendrick Perkins and more of this team. Well worth the extra cash. Could we save the cash for extensions of Rivers and Davis??
    Max we could give Iggy is four years. David and Rivers would still be locked up for another five. Gordons contract would expire at the same time as Iggys. We would have the flexibility to decide who stays and who goes.

Rookie
    Where do you guys think John Wall ranks against these guys? I have a feeling he'll be joining the conversation by the end of the year. Dude is due for a breakout with all the boneheads gone

Check it out:

Andre Igoudala.

That is all.

Jrue Holiday... That would be my best guess on who this team would target. 6'4, super long, crazy athletic. I see insane potential, and he's no star but he has done nothing but progress.

Quote Originally Posted by CarwinLikeWhoa View Post
    Where do you guys think John Wall ranks against these guys? I have a feeling he'll be joining the conversation by the end of the year. Dude is due for a breakout with all the boneheads gone
    Regarding free agency, John Wall has a team option that I expect them to pick up. As far as PG's overall, I like him a lot. He is blistering fast. I just think there is a smidge of inconsistency that will always plague him. I don't believe he will ever be a great outside shooter. He's a poor man's Derrick Rose. Probably top half in the league at PG, but just barely.

I, aside from the fact that the team is almost undoubtedly committed to letting Rivers develop at PG, believe in Rivers.

We should start a campaign on here in the sigs for those who believe in him:

I believe in Austin Rivers!

Who's with me? Probably won't be many considering how much hate he's gotten on this board...

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Trell's Avatar
    Honestly none are worth the max but they some will get close to it. As Span said, Monty MAYBE said Rivers will play along side as Gordon will control the rock. So I see Rivers as a "James Harden" type. Anyways I would want Curry, and would throw deep money at him if he did not have thos ankle?injury problems. He would co-exist with Gordon making us a crazy team from 3, but that risk is to high to have two injury prone guards. My next choice is Jrue. He is a true PG who can shoot and when hot is dealy from anywhere. Also he is a true PG who can pass and great defense as hehad hype going into college just as Rivers did(without Doc being his dad). Jrue is a all-star player MAYBE, if he gets put in the right situation.

I've been saying for a while we need to go after him hard as hell as all the hype would surron Lawson and Curry so he should be a fairly easy pick up. Younger with good defense too.
    Last edited by Trell; 10-23-2012 at 09:31 PM.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Trell's Avatar
    I, aside from the fact that the team is almost undoubtedly committed to letting Rivers develop at PG, believe in Rivers.

We should start a campaign on here in the sigs for those who believe in him:

I believe in Austin Rivers!

Who's with me? Probably won't be many considering how much hate he's gotten on this board...
    I think mostly everyone believe in Austin Rivers as a PG. But him as a sixth man would be so dope and make the team better. Either way, Austiin or Jrue would be good as a future starting PG.

I like Jrue a lot. He's a lot better in the pros than I ever thought he would be. Always seemed like one of those guys with talent, but not a truly great basketball player. Where as Darren Collison did so much with so little.

Sixers are talking extension with him, and I will be real curious to see if they work something out in the next week.

Thread Information