Pelicans Report

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: My idea for free agency

I'm all for that if that's the rule, and it may explain Hardaway not signing with the Sonics.

"I don't know if people know — I dislocated my pinkie finger. And [Tyreke] told me, 'You wanna go home or you wanna be here?' I want to be here. And he said, 'All right, then go tape it up and let's play. Let's go. We not stoppin' at no stores. Straight gas. That's what we do, just keep going.'"

http://thebasketbawlblog.com/

Quote Originally Posted by BallSoHard View Post
    I'm all for that if that's the rule, and it may explain Hardaway not signing with the Sonics.
    I always felt the Sonics offer to Hardaway wasn't valid and that's why he ended up with the Knicks.

Emeka Okafor - Joe Smith - Carmelo Anthony - Manu Ginobili - Jason Williams

Al Jefferson - James Posey - Aaron McKie - Shaun Livingston

Quote Originally Posted by Hornets78 View Post
    I always felt the Sonics offer to Hardaway wasn't valid and that's why he ended up with the Knicks.
    But you do realize that means the rule was communicated properly, correct?

In other words, why was I able to sign Bo Outlaw who had the same bird years to a 7 year deal, but not Shammond Williams? Doesn't flow IMO.

OK now Im confused.

I thought bird years are retained even if a player is traded.

If a player is resigning with his previous team and has 3 or more bird years:

1) The contract can be for up to 7 seasons.

2) The player can receive a raise each year of up to 12.5% of the value of the first year of the contract

3) The player can receive the larger of the maximum salary based on his experience and 120% of his previous salary in the first year of the contract.

If a player is resigning with his previous team and has less than bird years:

1) The contract can be for up to 6 seasons.

2) The player can receive a raise each year of up to 10% of the value of the first year of the contract.

3) The player can receive the larger of the team's salary cap room(up to the maximum salary) and 120% of his previous salary in the first year of the contract.
    Let me just clear this up, IF a player's (without 3 bird years) contract expires, he cant be signed beyond the cap?

if thats true, then how did the Lakers (over the cap) resigned Rick Fox and Bo Outlaw last off-season?

OK now Im confused.

I thought bird years are retained even if a player is traded.

If a player is resigning with his previous team and has 3 or more bird years:

1) The contract can be for up to 7 seasons.

2) The player can receive a raise each year of up to 12.5% of the value of the first year of the contract

3) The player can receive the larger of the maximum salary based on his experience and 120% of his previous salary in the first year of the contract.

If a player is resigning with his previous team and has less than bird years:

1) The contract can be for up to 6 seasons.

2) The player can receive a raise each year of up to 10% of the value of the first year of the contract.

3) The player can receive the larger of the team's salary cap room(up to the maximum salary) and 120% of his previous salary in the first year of the contract.
    Let me just clear this up, IF a player's (without 3 bird years) contract expires, he cant be signed beyond the cap?

if thats true, then how did the Lakers (over the cap) resigned Rick Fox and Bo Outlaw last off-season?

Jimeert Freedet 4 Prez IamQuailman's Avatar
    They must have received 120% (or less) of their previous salary?

Quote Originally Posted by IamQuailman View Post
    They must have received 120% (or less) of their previous salary?
    Which is something (as far as I know) you can't look up unless you write down what they are making right now...
    #FREEQUAIL

Quote Originally Posted by HornetsFaninKY View Post
    Which is something (as far as I know) you can't look up unless you write down what they are making right now...
    yeah:

Balls,

Maybe offered over 120%?

Oh I did, that was it.

So for clarification...

If a player has less than 3 bird years he can only recieve 120% of his previous salary if he is being signed over the cap and must be signed under the cap to recieve the max salary based on expirience in the event that it is larger than 120% of the previous salary.

If a player has 3 or more bird years, he can be signed to whatever is larger between the maximum salary based on experience or 120% of his previous salary over or under the cap doesn't matter.

Bird years are pretty valuable to say the least, had Hardaway or PJ had 3+ i would have been able to keep both of them.

So only max OR 120%? No inbetween, right?

Quote Originally Posted by IamQuailman View Post
    So only max OR 120%? No inbetween, right?
    Up to max or 120% whichever is higher. there is an inbetween.

Thread Information