Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: My idea for free agency

Quote Originally Posted by AD23 View Post
    Ok what about this: Kobe is a FA, the reigning champ Wizards can only afford to bid on him (max), and no other players. Lets say he does something dumb and signs with the worst team that offers him the max on the last sim day, now the Wizards cant get anyone else, is that really fair?

I dont fully trust the sim to make smart decisions
    I don't think there's anything wrong with that situation. Kobe screwed the wizards and that's it

Quote Originally Posted by janjanjanjan3 View Post
    You need to offer what you think he's worth not what others think he's worth + 1 million
    Honestly, if a blind sim happened this past FA, I probably would have signed all my FAs anyway since I offered them a bunch right off the bat. I doubt anyone would have offered Etan 4 years 6 million like I did.

Maybe Loco is right. A blind sim will avoid jacking up prices.

Emeka Okafor - Joe Smith - Carmelo Anthony - Manu Ginobili - Jason Williams

Al Jefferson - James Posey - Aaron McKie - Shaun Livingston

Quote Originally Posted by Hornets78 View Post
    How common is it for a team to lose out on a superstar only to sign another superstar in the process? Usually those teams get burned that FA and have to sign mid tier guys instead. If the Wiz lose Kobe, their hosed regardless of who else they go after. What happens if they offer Kobe and a second tier guy at the same time and somehow the sim picks the second tier guy? Their hosed anyway.
    Thats what Im saying you should be able to order who you want like:

1. Kobe
    2. T Mac if I cant get Kobe
    3. Rip Hamilton if I cant get them

Idk if that can be controlled or not though

A lot of teams will way over pay there own guys though, I know I for one would be terrified of losing McDyess next year and may give him a max he isn't worth, afraid to lose a star for nothing

Quote Originally Posted by LoCo89 View Post
    That's the beauty of doing it blind. You try to sign them with whatever you're comfortable with. If someone else gets them for more, then oh well they paid more. Now if you're talking about not having a clue of what to pay someone, then I guess I understand that
    Honestly, most FAs will get low offers. We saw that last free agency. Most smart teams will be able to know how much to offer a FA and sign them with a blind sim.

Quote Originally Posted by BeeBall Reasons View Post
    A lot of teams will way over pay there own guys though, I know I for one would be terrified of losing McDyess next year and may give him a max he isn't worth, afraid to lose a star for nothing
    Really?!?! Interesting...
    HR SIM LEAGUE: MEMPHIS GRIZZLIES

Mod over at reddit.com/r/NOLAPelicans

How common is it for a team to lose out on a superstar only to sign another superstar in the process?
    But its not common for a player to just screw their team at the absolute last second for no reason, which could happen in this

Thats what Im saying you should be able to order who you want like:

1. Kobe
    2. T Mac if I cant get Kobe
    3. Rip Hamilton if I cant get them

Idk if that can be controlled or not though
    Usually, superstar players sign first setting the market for the lesser guys. TMac would be considered a superstar as well and probably be signed as early as Kobe. Rules 2 and 3 would allow some of the lesser guys to be available.

But its not common for a player to just screw their team at the absolute last second for no reason, which could happen in this

Well Lebron did it.

Let's look at this the other way around, what if my wizards have space for 1 Max guy, then I bid the Max on Kobe(my FA) and because we're allowed to bid more than our cap space, I also bid on tmac. Then the sim gets me tmac 1st then resigned Kobe for me. I will end up with tmac and Kobe. Yay!

Well Lebron did it.
    His teammates sucked lol so he at least had some reason. In this like I said who knows Kobe could ditch a title team for the worst team in the league..

In reality Kobe could make it known earlier he wants to go somewhere else and you could go after another big FA
    Last edited by speedyG; 10-23-2012 at 05:26 AM.

Let's look at this the other way around, what if my wizards have space for 1 Max guy, then I bid the Max on Kobe(my FA) and because we're allowed to bid more than our cap space, I also bid on tmac. Then the sim gets me tmac 1st then resigned Kobe for me. I will end up with tmac and Kobe. Yay!
    Cap holds should be infinite in this league, you should Not be able to sign other guys and then go over the cap resigning, one or the other

whens the FA list going to be out?

Then the sim gets me tmac 1st then resigned Kobe for me. I will end up with tmac and Kobe. Yay!
    This is what I was worried about originally, but once I realized it was possible I started gearing up for it. Because if none of my players signed in the first sim I could offer 2 potentially 3 max in the first sim. Get those guys then offer max contracts to all of my players and be crazy good next year. I'd honestly rather not try to do something crazy like that, but whatever the system is I hope it gets figured out soon. And not to hijack this FA thread into tanking, but in the other tanking one I never saw a response, why has cwilder (who has never even set a depth chart to my knowledge) able to have the 2nd worst record in the league and not get any crap for trading his best player for David Robinson and now David Robinson never plays even though he is not injured.
    #FREEQUAIL

More than likely Cp3 auto set his depth chart at the beginning of the season and hasn't updated it since... also I think if you put out more offers than cap space than they can't be to any of your own FA, because in real life there are cap holds and a scenario like that would be bad for the league.

Quote Originally Posted by HornetsFaninKY View Post
    This is what I was worried about originally, but once I realized it was possible I started gearing up for it. Because if none of my players signed in the first sim I could offer 2 potentially 3 max in the first sim. Get those guys then offer max contracts to all of my players and be crazy good next year. I'd honestly rather not try to do something crazy like that, but whatever the system is I hope it gets figured out soon. And not to hijack this FA thread into tanking, but in the other tanking one I never saw a response, why has cwilder (who has never even set a depth chart to my knowledge) able to have the 2nd worst record in the league and not get any crap for trading his best player for David Robinson and now David Robinson never plays even though he is not injured.
    I think the guy is inactive, he did get 3 1sts for Pierce, and David Robinson is old and not really good. id also start Magloire over him

4) If restricted free agency can be programmed into the game, then we should try it. However, I don't want to see one sim involved with teams resigning their own free agents since players have numerical loyalty, greed, and play for winner which are fairly accurate from my experience. Allowing teams to resign their own FAs with the first sim will take away the balance we have in this sim league.
    Perhaps you were on the good end of this. I has Shammond williams with a 96 in Loyalty, started him, played for a team that made the WCF and offered him 3 million more per year than then he signed with a middling Suns team (No offense) who already had 2 PGs better than him. sorry but those numerical grades don't mean anything in this game.

"I don't know if people know — I dislocated my pinkie finger. And [Tyreke] told me, 'You wanna go home or you wanna be here?' I want to be here. And he said, 'All right, then go tape it up and let's play. Let's go. We not stoppin' at no stores. Straight gas. That's what we do, just keep going.'"

http://thebasketbawlblog.com/

Quote Originally Posted by BallSoHard View Post
    Perhaps you were on the good end of this. I has Shammond williams with a 96 in Loyalty, started him, played for a team that made the WCF and offered him 3 million more per year than then he signed with a middling Suns team (No offense) who already had 2 PGs better than him. sorry but those numerical grades don't mean anything in this game.
    That is brutal.

Max Contract Contributor AD23forMVP's Avatar
    Your offer for Williams wasn't legal.

Jimeert Freedet 4 Prez IamQuailman's Avatar
    I do agree that cwilder has been probably the most inactive GM (outside of onpoint and eman, who are out). He basically came back after the 3rd sim and was like OH BOY IM IN THE LEBRON RACE!, traded away his best player for picks, and disappeared. So I'm with HornetsKY (hehe) on this one.

If you don't want to lose your star, pay him. And i agree with janjanjan, there was too much 1 person bidding 2 years, 2.5 min and then someone going 2 years, 2.6mil seconds later (can't lie, i did that myself sometimes... but only for players i really wanted). Make your offer, and if you set the market, so be it.

Quote Originally Posted by BeeBall Reasons View Post
    Well, if they're a star, they deserve the max IMO. If they're not, don't pay them. I'm ok with someone offering Jamal Mashburn in 2 years a max deal and me losing him. It's the way of things. It gets tougher for these guys over 30, because you don't want to offer a 7 year max deal to a 32 year old guy.

Quote Originally Posted by CP3forMVP View Post
    Your offer for Williams wasn't legal.
    Why was it not legal? He was a returning player.

Max Contract Contributor AD23forMVP's Avatar
    Why was it not legal? He was a returning player.
    Said player needs a certain amount of bird years, which he fell one short of. For example, you had a bigman who had bird years and you resigned him.

Quote Originally Posted by CP3forMVP View Post
    Said player needs a certain amount of bird years, which he fell one short of. For example, you had a bigman who had bird years and you resigned him.
    Ok, so I thought all players resigning could be offered whatever you wanted and the only advantage of bird years was the 7th year?

Jimeert Freedet 4 Prez IamQuailman's Avatar
    Ahhh, so resigning your own guys, you can only go over cap if you have bird years?

Thread Information