Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Hornets forward Anthony Davis already drawing attention from opposing defenses

Hornets forward Anthony Davis already drawing attention from opposing defenses

Through three weeks into the preseason, New Orleans Hornets rookie Anthony Davis has progressed so rapidly that Coach Monty Williams has used him at multiple positions and has run set plays designed to take advantage of his mid-range shooting.

If he continues to develop as a scoring threat in the post and perimeter, Davis could eventually cause match up problems much the same way Dallas Mavericks 7-foot forward Dirk Nowitzki imposes on teams because of his shooting ability.

Already, Davis has developed a high release on his jump shot similar to Nowitzki that makes it difficult for defenders to block.

``I’m just trying to get better each and every practice and not get comfortable,’’ said Davis, who has played limited minutes at small forward. ``I’m just doing what Coach Monty wants - nothing more; nothing less.’’

Davis, the No.1 overall pick in the June NBA draft, has made 50-percent of his shots, leads the team in scoring (15.3) and has grabbed a team-best 8.3 rebounds per game going into Monday night's road game against the Mavericks.

With three preseason games remaining before the regular season begins, Davis has shown more offensive skills than he did last season when he led the Kentucky Wildcats to a national championship and played on the gold medal winning U.S. Olympic basketball team this summer in London..

``He’s shown some things that I started to see in workouts that I didn’t see in college,’’ Williams said. ``He’s got a nice handle and he can shoot the ball. I think someday he’s going to be able to shoot for range consistently.’’

Although shooting guard Eric Gordon has missed all of the preseason with a sore right knee, he has taken notice of Davis’ progress.

`` Of course, he is definitely a rare talent,’’ Gordon said. ``When you’re the No. 1 pick, you’re capable of doing something. I know when I get on the floor, I’m going to use him a lot because I’m a pick-and-roll type guy and I see him. The best thing about him is that he made a major improvement is his jump shot. So I’m definitely going to make him useful when I’m in the game.’’
    http://www.nola.com/hornets/index.ss..._river_default

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    "Of course, he is definitely a rare talent,’’ Gordon said. ``When you’re the No. 1 pick, you’re capable of doing something. I know when I get on the floor, I’m going to use him a lot because I’m a pick-and-roll type guy and I see him. The best thing about him is that he made a major improvement is his jump shot. So I’m definitely going to make him useful when I’m in the game.’’
    That's what I like to hear. But dude's gotta be on the court or it's useless.

Monty keeps hinting around that he may play a fair bit of SF for us, and the article suggests that he could be like Durant in a few years... Coach Cal said that he expects Davis to play SF in the NBA, and there was also that article about Cal not letting Davis shoot 3s until he made something like 40 of them in practice. Monty suggests that he didn't know that Davis had this much of an offensive game, and he points to his shooting ability and ball handling ability. I'm just saying that if AD can be our SF of the future, and we sign a Center like Pekovic or Al Jefferson this off season, we could be set.

Oh, and just so you know, Durant is listed as 6'10, 235. Davis is listed as 6'10, 225.

His jumper has been very consistent. Which is more than I can say for everybody else on this team.

I still haven't seen the ability to create or the handles yet especially not to compare to Dirk. Hopefully he can keep knocking down shots once the season starts it'll really add value. However jumper usually comes and goes for even the best shooters. We'll see if this is a consistent part of his game when the intensity goes up in the regular season.

Quote Originally Posted by nolaslim213 View Post
    Monty keeps hinting around that he may play a fair bit of SF for us, and the article suggests that he could be like Durant in a few years... Coach Cal said that he expects Davis to play SF in the NBA, and there was also that article about Cal not letting Davis shoot 3s until he made something like 40 of them in practice. Monty suggests that he didn't know that Davis had this much of an offensive game, and he points to his shooting ability and ball handling ability. I'm just saying that if AD can be our SF of the future, and we sign a Center like Pekovic or Al Jefferson this off season, we could be set.

Oh, and just so you know, Durant is listed as 6'10, 235. Davis is listed as 6'10, 225.
    Slim where's Durant listed as 6'10?
    I only see 6'9.

Thanks

^ It doesn't really matter cuz Durant is closer to 7'.

Durant was measured at 6'10.25 in shoes at the combine. I'm sure he's grown some since than.

It's even an exaggeration when commentators call him a 7 footer. Even if he's under that height those long arms make him have a 7' footers length and then some. Same with Davis.

Really I didn't think he was that tall.
    He is an amazing player.

Durant is listed as 6'9" w/o shoes (6'10.25" with) and a 7'4.75" wingspan. 215 lbs. That's at 19. He's most likely grown some since then.

Anthony Davis likewise is listed at 6'9.25" w/o shoes (6'10.5" with) and 7'5.5" wingspan. 222 lbs.

Both obviously came into the league on the opposite ends of the spectrum in terms to what they bring to the table though. Durant developed into what everyone thought he was. If Davis develops into what everyone thinks he can be... he'll be far more valuable believe it or not.

Far more may be a little exaggeration. Durant is and will be a MVP calibre player. Davis may be as valuable but no one will ever dwarf Durant.

"I don't know if people know — I dislocated my pinkie finger. And [Tyreke] told me, 'You wanna go home or you wanna be here?' I want to be here. And he said, 'All right, then go tape it up and let's play. Let's go. We not stoppin' at no stores. Straight gas. That's what we do, just keep going.'"

http://thebasketbawlblog.com/

thought Durant was 6'11.. the commentators always list him as 6'11

Quote Originally Posted by AUSSIE_HORNET View Post
    Really I didn't think he was that tall.
    He is an amazing player.
    Yeah, it's pretty surprising, but that's why he is one of the best.

Quote Originally Posted by bradael View Post
    Durant is listed as 6'9" w/o shoes (6'10.25" with) and a 7'4.75" wingspan. 215 lbs. That's at 19. He's most likely grown some since then.

Anthony Davis likewise is listed at 6'9.25" w/o shoes (6'10.5" with) and 7'5.5" wingspan. 222 lbs.

Both obviously came into the league on the opposite ends of the spectrum in terms to what they bring to the table though. Durant developed into what everyone thought he was. If Davis develops into what everyone thinks he can be... he'll be far more valuable believe it or not.
    Totally agree. If Davis lives up to his potential, he would be better than Durant - both offensively and defensively.

Durant has no post game, but Davis should be able to develop one - even if he plays mostly on the wing. Davis also has a naturally high release, which would make him almost impossible to block for an opposing SF. If he can extend his range to the 3, as Monty suggests he will, then he could be just as deadly as Durant offensively. Keep in mind that Monty also said he has a much better handle than he thought he did playing in college.

Defensively, Davis could be an absolute monster on the wing, and he would provide great help side defense/rebounding - especially if he can be on the floor at the same time with guys like Anderson and Lopez/JSmith.

Quote Originally Posted by BallSoHard View Post
    Far more may be a little exaggeration. Durant is and will be a MVP calibre player. Davis may be as valuable but no one will ever dwarf Durant.
    I agree that he wouldn't dwarf Durant, but his potential is higher - mostly because of his insane defensive I.Q.

Tell me this kid isn't a SF:

Keep in mind that this was 2 years ago, and he has sharpened his skills since then, and he has grown into his body - first year or 2 after a growth spurt is always difficult athletically, but he handled it very well which makes me think he will only grow as an athlete (scary thought...).

I wrote this about you Mr. West's Avatar
    Forget Kevin Durrant; I'd be ecstatic if he could get a Kevin Garnett consistant mid range game. The idea of him playing like KG in his MVP years gives me chills.

I think the KG comparisons were the best. Probably 10-20% less though since KG has a fire not many can match.

Looks like we're trying to force AD into PF/C when we should be developing him as a wing. Folks forget that he was a shooting guard before his growth spurt. Work on his outside game and prep him as a 3.

Let him have a complete game. He's coming into the league with perimeter skills because he was a perimeter player longer than post in his life. So let's continue to put him in positions where his length and athleticism can be best utilized. Shooting 3s isn't really going to jive with that. Even Dirk doesn't just shoot jumpers. He's got the turnaround game working too.

"Davis will be better than Lebron when it's all said and done"- Optomistic Hornet Fan
    CAW CAW!!!

-Founder and valuable member of the Caw Caw Boyz-

Guys, We're getting ahead of ourselves here. Let's not crown him yet. I'd love to see it, but those are LOFTY expectations. Also, Durant will develop post game and has become a much better defender.

I get the excitement we all have, but I think we should be utilizing his strengths while we bring him along. In my opinion, patrolling the wing doesn't necessarily utilize his biggest strength, which is defense down low. I guess he could play on the wing offensively and then in the post defensively, but I'm not sure we need to worry about expanding his offensive game just yet. Let's see what he can give us at the PF position before we start dreaming of Durant 2.0.

Rather see Davis become a center instead of a SF. He has the frame to get even stronger and will control the paint as a center.

Emeka Okafor - Joe Smith - Carmelo Anthony - Manu Ginobili - Jason Williams

Al Jefferson - James Posey - Aaron McKie - Shaun Livingston

Quote Originally Posted by Hornets78 View Post
    Rather see Davis become a center instead of a SF. He has the frame to get even stronger and will control the paint as a center.
    I like him as a 4 a lot. Just because you play the 3 or 4 dsoesnt mean you can't have a perimegter game. I mainly want him near the basket on D.

He's limited to the 4 in this league. His perimeter defense isn't good enough to handle even the middle of the pack 3's and he may not be strong enough to handle a good number of 4's so playing extended time at the 5 will be a problem. Like many have pointed out you want him as close to the basket on d as possible. He's surprised me so far with his consistent range, but he does not have the ball handling ability to beat 3's or the strength to handle 5's period.

On a permanent Holiday! Purple Haze's Avatar
    He's 19 and hasn't played a game yet, Throne. How can you judge his eventual strength yet? Players have already said that they've been surprised at his strength at 222 already and his lack of timidness.
    Wherehappens.

Thread Information