Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Lineup that potentially worries me

Max Contract Contributor AD23forMVP's Avatar

Lineup that potentially worries me

We have not seen it in full yet because of Gordon's injury, but a lineup of Vasquez-Gordon-Davis-Anderson-Lopez really worries me defensively. Based on preseason, that seems like a lineup Monty will try to make work, which imo could lead to some headaches early in the year.

The thing that mostly worries me is overall speed and athleticism of the lineup. It gives us very good size, but lets be honest. We have discussed Vasquez's lack of speed or quickness, but I've heard very much about Lopez's increasing athleticism. I like what he has given us in first few games, but the guy doesn't look the least bit athletic. Looks like he struggles to move and to get off the ground. Anderson is another guy who isn't really athletic, and Davis has elite athleticism for a 4, but what about a 3? And how is his ability to guard on the perimeter? Not something I would trust just yet.

It's just a thought, but that seems to be a lineup that Monty will try to make successful, but to me we'll have a lot of trouble matching up.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Spaniard's Avatar
    I think Monty will matchup depending on who we're playing. If this is the lineup we run out there, I think Gordon covers point, Vasquez on the 2 guard, Davis on the 3, Anderson on the 4, and Lopez on the 5. None of those guys should really struggle in those positions for the most part.

Now you won't want Vasquez on Kobe, you won't want Davis on Durant, etc. It just all depends on who we're playing. I'm thinking more times than not, Aminu or Miller are going to be on the floor instead of Anderson. Let's face it, Monty loves him some defense.

Quote Originally Posted by Spaniard View Post
    I think Monty will matchup depending on who we're playing. If this is the lineup we run out there, I think Gordon covers point, Vasquez on the 2 guard, Davis on the 3, Anderson on the 4, and Lopez on the 5. None of those guys should really struggle in those positions for the most part.

Now you won't want Vasquez on Kobe, you won't want Davis on Durant, etc. It just all depends on who we're playing. I'm thinking more times than not, Aminu or Miller are going to be on the floor instead of Anderson. Let's face it, Monty loves him some defense.
    I'm not so sure he will, Monty has mentioned on numerous occasions since he was hired that he doesn't believe in letting the opponent dictate what we are going to do. But to your second paragraph, I thought all offseason we'd see lineups of Aminu-Anderson-Davis, but we've not seen that so far (of course that could change during the regular season, this is all based off of what I've seen in preseason).

Gordon and AD are the 2 best defenders in that lineup. I remember Gordon used to give CP a little trouble when he guarded him. I think even CP even said so in an interview.

Let's see how it goes before we start worrying. I mean it's not like we've actually SEEN much of this group together during this preseason so we don't really know how they're going to look once on the floor together.

Quote Originally Posted by CP3forMVP View Post
    We have not seen it in full yet because of Gordon's injury, but a lineup of Vasquez-Gordon-Davis-Anderson-Lopez really worries me defensively. Based on preseason, that seems like a lineup Monty will try to make work, which imo could lead to some headaches early in the year.

The thing that mostly worries me is overall speed and athleticism of the lineup. It gives us very good size, but lets be honest. We have discussed Vasquez's lack of speed or quickness, but I've heard very much about Lopez's increasing athleticism. I like what he has given us in first few games, but the guy doesn't look the least bit athletic. Looks like he struggles to move and to get off the ground. Anderson is another guy who isn't really athletic, and Davis has elite athleticism for a 4, but what about a 3? And how is his ability to guard on the perimeter? Not something I would trust just yet.

It's just a thought, but that seems to be a lineup that Monty will try to make successful, but to me we'll have a lot of trouble matching up.
    Lopez has made an athletic play or two in his time but I wouldn't label him athletic. I really like Davis playing the 3 less than I like him playing the 5. The good notes from it, are that he will probably continue to develop that outside game a bit while he's bulking up and learning the post where, as of now he's a little frail for full-time; which will allow him to develop a more KGish game (in his prime).

"I don't know if people know — I dislocated my pinkie finger. And [Tyreke] told me, 'You wanna go home or you wanna be here?' I want to be here. And he said, 'All right, then go tape it up and let's play. Let's go. We not stoppin' at no stores. Straight gas. That's what we do, just keep going.'"

http://thebasketbawlblog.com/

I'm not so sure he will, Monty has mentioned on numerous occasions since he was hired that he doesn't believe in letting the opponent dictate what we are going to do. But to your second paragraph, I thought all offseason we'd see lineups of Aminu-Anderson-Davis, but we've not seen that so far (of course that could change during the regular season, this is all based off of what I've seen in preseason).
    Well, there's a fine line there. I agree with what you're saying, but at the same time, we're not going to put Lopez on Chris Paul. Monty is going to put the guys out there that give us a chance to win. Monty did say he likes Anderson at the 4, and Davis would play more of a 3 when Anderson is on the court. I just refuse to believe that is going to be the "norm".

It looks like Anderson is going to start on the bench of every game. And unless we are just killing it offensively, I think he might be there at the end of games as well. He or Lopez.

I think the lineups this year are going to be very fluid overall. I just love the fact we have so many options. Let's not forget we could see Rivers in there instead of Vasquez at many points in this season. That certainly would give us more quicks.

Quote Originally Posted by HunnyB View Post
    Gordon and AD are the 2 best defenders in that lineup. I remember Gordon used to give CP a little trouble when he guarded him. I think even CP even said so in an interview.

Let's see how it goes before we start worrying. I mean it's not like we've actually SEEN much of this group together during this preseason so we don't really know how they're going to look once on the floor together.
    Problem with that is, you're taking one of your best defenders and putting him out of position. You're pulling your best rim protector away from the rim as well. I think Davis will be a guy that can guard threes in his career, but I wouldn't trust him to do it just yet.

Problem with that is, you're taking one of your best defenders and putting him out of position. You're pulling your best rim protector away from the rim as well. I think Davis will be a guy that can guard threes in his career, but I wouldn't trust him to do it just yet.
    I hate the idea of pulling Davis away from the rim personally. If I had my way, he wouldn't cover a single SF all year. I'm just going to put my faith in Monty at this point. It'll all sort out.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    The lineup will be very fluid, changing thing. You don't try to guard the Thunder with that lineup. Not for a long period of time anyway. Same with the Heat. You wouldn't dare put Anderson or Davis on LeBron, even though who knows how Davis would fair. Aminu would get loads of minutes for certainty.

Oh I didn't know we were talking about positions. Why is the part you bolded a problem? Those 2 ARE the 2 best defenders in that lineup. Are they not? I didn't say anything about them going far away from their positions to guard an opposing player just because they're the best at it. I don't expect to see Gordon defending a PF or a Center just because he's one of the best at it in our lineup. I didn't say anything about Davis guarding PG's or SG's just because he's one of the best defenders in our lineup.

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    The lineup will be very fluid, changing thing. You don't try to guard the Thunder with that lineup. Not for a long period of time anyway. Same with the Heat. You wouldn't dare put Anderson or Davis on LeBron, even though who knows how Davis would fair. Aminu would get loads of minutes for certainty.
    do you think Aminu would fare better/worse on lebron?

Oh I didn't know we were talking about positions. Why is the part you bolded a problem? Those 2 ARE the 2 best defenders in that lineup. Are they not? I didn't say anything about them going far away from their positions to guard an opposing player just because they're the best at it. I don't expect to see Gordon defending a PF or a Center just because he's one of the best at it in our lineup. I didn't say anything about Davis guarding PG's or SG's just because he's one of the best at it in our lineup.
    He's talking about Davis guarding the perimeter. His strength is in the paint. Anderson's in the Paint, Lopez's is in the paint. So you have Vazques whos not strong on the perimeter and Gordon who's the only player who's key defensive strength is on the outside.

Quote Originally Posted by BallSoHard View Post
    do you think Aminu would fare better/worse on lebron?
    Better than the slow footed Anderson or Davis, who we want as close to the rim as possible? Hell yeah. Though Bosh would float in the mid-range area, but it'd be closer than trying to guard dribble drives.

I hate the idea of pulling Davis away from the rim personally. If I had my way, he wouldn't cover a single SF all year. I'm just going to put my faith in Monty at this point. It'll all sort out.
    Oh yeah. If we're talking about having Davis cover SF's then no. I don't know if we should see that. I know Monty has mentioned it but I don't know how that would go. Davis is a rim protector and should be allowed to do so. Like I said before, Monty needs to put that young man in a position to succeed. If he's in a position to succeed then it'll give our team a better chance to succeed as well.

I'm just ready to see how everything will go.

He's talking about Davis guarding the perimeter. His strength is in the paint. Anderson's in the Paint, Lopez's is in the paint. So you have Vazques whos not strong on the perimeter and Gordon who's the only player who's key defensive strength is on the outside.
    Ok. I gotcha. No, Davis shouldn't be guarding perimeter players.

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    Better than the slow footed Anderson or Davis, who we want as close to the rim as possible? Hell yeah. Though Bosh would float in the mid-range area, but it'd be closer than trying to guard dribble drives.
    Davis is slow footed?

What would be a lineup that might not cause as much worry?

I'm just excited to be talking about basketball today. Whether it's lineups, matchups, or name changes. Getting very excited that the season is almost here.

I'm just excited to be talking about basketball today. Whether it's lineups, matchups, or name changes. Getting very excited that the season is almost here.
    Yes indeed.

What would be a lineup that might not cause as much worry?
    Problem is, with the current team make-up, i don't think there is a cover all your bases line-up. You take Anderson out and throw in Aminu, and you have an offensive problem with Lopez, Aminu and Vazques. We're very much a project in progress.

Davis is slow footed?
    Just Mr. Anderson. Unless he's in the Matrix. Davis is pretty quick and with his length who knows. But I'd rather him guard Bosh than LeBron. Though, like I mentioned, Bosh would try to pull Davis away from the basket too.

Problem is, with the current team make-up, i don't think there is a cover all your bases line-up. You take Anderson out and throw in Aminu, and you have an offensive problem with Lopez, Aminu and Vazques. We're very much a project in progress.
    Right. As long as we realize that we should just be patient for a bit.

Speaking of Lebron and Bosh, you guys DO know that next Friday nights game against the Heat is on ESPN right? Should make for some fun viewing.

I think the bigger question is how we handle the backup guards with Roberts, Rivers and Mason. Possibly throwing Henry in there some as well. Who are the first two off the bench? Right now I'm thinking Roberts and Rivers, but I know Mason is going to play a lot.

Oh I didn't know we were talking about positions. Why is the part you bolded a problem? Those 2 ARE the 2 best defenders in that lineup. Are they not? I didn't say anything about them going far away from their positions to guard an opposing player just because they're the best at it. I don't expect to see Gordon defending a PF or a Center just because he's one of the best at it in our lineup. I didn't say anything about Davis guarding PG's or SG's just because he's one of the best defenders in our lineup.
    I bolded it to show that was the part of the post I was responding too. Also, I'm talking about what I was already talking about in the original post, not your post.

Thread Information