Pelicans Report

Thread: NBA wants faster start to games

NBA NBA wants faster start to games

NEW YORK -- The NBA is taking steps to cut down on pregame handshakes and rituals that have become popular with players in recent years. Starting this season, as soon as player introductions are finished, there will be 90 seconds put on the game clock, and teams will be expected to be ready for tipoff after that time.

The guideline will eliminate or severely cut down on the routines that players from most teams go through before games, which often include a series of handshakes with their own teammates before greeting opponents. It also could legislate out individual rituals like LeBron James' famous chalk toss, which he abandoned last season during the playoffs, though James said he'll try to get it done in the limited time.

"I won't change it, I'll be able to work it in," James said. "We'll figure it out."

Over the years, as the elaborate handshakes and other routines have become extended -- for example, Shaquille O'Neal famously created teamwide skits acted out before Phoenix Suns games three seasons ago -- games have routinely taken five minutes or longer to begin after the starting lineups were announced. The NBA is attempting to speed up the start of games.

Players have been advised of the initiative during the annual meetings with referees in the preseason as part of the league's "points of emphasis."

"There's a 90-second countdown, it is placed on the clock," NBA spokesman Tim Frank said. "At 30 seconds, there's a warning horn and alert by the refs. At the end, teams need to be ready to tip off or face a delay-of-game warning."

Two delay-of-game warnings would result in a technical foul.
    http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/85...0-second-clock

I'm curious what this means to the start of games.

When I tivo a game at 7pm, usually I know I can fast forward to 7:10 or so before the game starts. Wonder if games will start much closer to 7pm now.

I really never heard any fans complain about this. Seems pointless to cut the time shorter especially when the fans seem to like the pregame stuff the players do

I like it. It's always annoying to expect a game to start at one time and have it actually start about 15 minutes later than that. It's just a waste of time.

This, and cutting down on obvious flopping should make the season a bit more watchable. Fans can only handle so many annoyances before it's too painful to watch.

Maybe the officials are complaining about it. ??? I don't know. You know some of them think the game is about them. Maybe they want to be included in the pregame rituals but since they aren't they don't like it. LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by HunnyB View Post
    Maybe the officials are complaining about it. ??? I don't know. You know some of them think the game is about them. Maybe they want to be included in the pregame rituals but since they aren't they don't like it. LOL.
    Lockout!

"I don't know if people know — I dislocated my pinkie finger. And [Tyreke] told me, 'You wanna go home or you wanna be here?' I want to be here. And he said, 'All right, then go tape it up and let's play. Let's go. We not stoppin' at no stores. Straight gas. That's what we do, just keep going.'"

http://thebasketbawlblog.com/

We need the opposite. We (Hornets) need games to start at 7:30 rather than 7. Just like the Texas teams do. It would give our usual late-arriving crowd a better chance to get in.
    Quote Originally Posted by Conroy View Post
    I feel like I'm wasting my time compared to Sound.
    Quote Originally Posted by NOLa. View Post
    I think Sound just upped the standards in the league.
    GM of the Year

Max Contract Contributor AD23forMVP's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sfernald View Post
    I'm curious what this means to the start of games.

When I tivo a game at 7pm, usually I know I can fast forward to 7:10 or so before the game starts. Wonder if games will start much closer to 7pm now.
    You're probably being generous, I know most games started atleast 15 minutes later than the scheduled tip last season.

The NBA is having replacement refs right?
    lol
    New Orleans Pelicans-Seattle Seahawks-Atlanta Braves-Anaheim Ducks

RIP HunnyB

This fits HunnyB/FlyGirl so well- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IyzTiSEfM00

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    No lie, that long period between when players take the court and when the game starts has always been annoying to me.

Every minute is valuable when following NBA from Europe in the middle of the night.. Good news!

Definitely a fan of this.

Typically games start at 7:08. I have no problem with it because I've gotten used to it and actually take advantage of it.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    Now the NBA will be the no fun league.

Of all the things the NBA could fix, they come up with this.... #Priorities

http://twitter.com/jadande/status/25...692929/photo/1

Brian Windhorst ‏@WindhorstESPN
    Kings called for delay of game tonight for violating NBA's new 90-second rule for pregame handshakes/routines according to reporters at game

This is a joke. What really makes games start 10 minutes after 7 are commercials, then introductions, then more commercials, then "hype the fans crap" on the court clearing out, then the players finally take the court to tip off.

They are cracking down on the most minor issue causing this.

Thread Information