Pelicans Report

Thread: Managing Expectations

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar

Managing Expectations

Let me start off by saying that there isn't anyone on this forum that can argue that they are more excited for the season to start than me. I am very happy with what we have done in the off-season and stuck through our 21 win year last year with faith that I was seeing the ground work being laid for something better in the future.

I think for both the 2012-2013 season and for Anthony Davis, us as fans need to be objective and manage our expectations. I think AD will have a great rookie year, and I think as a team we will see significant improvement from last season. But I am already hearing talk from fans that say AD is a HOFer and how good the Hornets are going to be. Like Monty said, we have so many new faces on this team, this whole thing is a process. From our success, to Davis' development, it is going to take time. I just want us as fans to be understanding if this year us as a team or Davis individually struggles at times. I think our future is as bright as the sun and cannot wait until October 31st. Anything can happen, we can come out and take the NBA by storm, which would be awesome, but if we don't that is OK too. It is all going to come together over time. O and never stop raising the BROW!!!!!
    Last edited by RaisingTheBar; 10-17-2012 at 08:14 AM.

On a permanent Holiday! Purple Haze's Avatar
    I haven't seen or talked to anyone here that expects much more than some fun basketball and perhaps a #8 seed, you're not talking about the 8 year olds in that video posted yesterday are you?

I think 90% of people realize that it's gonna take some time, but they're allowed to be overly excited. That's what the start of the season is for after all, right? Everyone's a winner.
    Wherehappens.

Quote Originally Posted by Purple Haze View Post
    I think 90% of people realize that it's gonna take some time, but they're allowed to be overly excited. That's what the start of the season is for after all, right? Everyone's a winner.
    Except for Charlotte.
    "Davis is gonna be the best Basketball Player Ever. ......Please quote me." -Silverfoxx

The Franchise Contributor wopester's Avatar
    I don't even care about their record - I'm just thrilled to death to be able to watch them, legally, on my big screen TV.

Quote Originally Posted by wopester View Post
    I don't even care about their record - I'm just thrilled to death to be able to watch them, legally, on my big screen TV.
    Yea you right! ^^ POST OF THE WEEK!

I only expect this to be one of the most enjoyable seasons you could have for any sport aside from winning a championship.

It will be enjoyable to me simply because:

1) I don't expect them to win so I won't be angry/upset when they lose.
    2) The team is loaded with high energy players, plus Monty Williams to this point has shown to have the ability to get the most out of his players. The team has always played hard under him.
    3) Team is loaded with young talent. Although I don't expect them to win, I expect them to grow and get better and there are high hopes for the future... just not this season.

Quote Originally Posted by wopester View Post

Haha Yes Yes Yes....No More Streams!

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Purple Haze View Post
    I haven't seen or talked to anyone here that expects much more than some fun basketball and perhaps a #8 seed, you're not talking about the 8 year olds in that video posted yesterday are you?

I don't recall saying that I heard from people on HR. And I never said people shouldn't be excited. I am super excited, I think everyone else should be as well. Don't see why you have to take a post that was pretty positive and turn it into a negative. I just know how pessimistic and down some posters on here are and I know myself and no one else wants to see all the negative threads after we lose a couple games in a row or if AD doesn't get a double-double one night. That is all. If we do not make the playoffs it is OK, I think we have the talent to do so, but once again this is a process and will not be the end of the world if we don't have a playoff year.

Thread Information