Pelicans Report

Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 ... LastLast

Thread: Rumor: "Pelicans" the current front runner for new name?

Quote Originally Posted by Hornetnojersey View Post
    The Lakers name came from another city. You guys want to change the Hornets name because it came from another city.
    Yea and? Still doesn't mean its a good name even when it was in its original city. That's the point. 80% of the names in the NBA or the NFL for that matter are fairly stupid if you really think about it. So why care that much. That's all i am saying.

However.....I like the Pelicans name more than the rest I've heard and I did like the logo/uniform the guy made. My biggest issue is I don't see the importance of a name change but hey I didn't chip in on that 300 mill Benson spent either

Surprisingly the Pelican design that I think looks like a baby's nursery decor won an ESPN poll a few months back.

http://espn.go.com/blog/playbook/fan...gn-the-hornets

For a logo that men would be wearing, I'd prefer the bird to look more like this.... similar to that LSU pelican logo.

So why are we not going with Brass? Just cuz some guy out there still owns the naming rights from the old hockey team? Is this about money?!? It's a no brainer as a name along with the jersey mods BigDub did. Would it be possible to start a movement for the fans to have a say in the team naming? I almost made a ton of those yellow Brass shirts last year to sell them for dirt cheap at the arena but we decided it wasn't wise with the Hornets legal lurking. (can't use hornets themes or fonts)

If we become the Pelicans my buddies are gonna send me memes with our mascot covered in crude every time we lose. Come on man we gotta have a say in this.

Rumor: "Pelicans" the current front runner for new name?

Everyone is entitled to their opinion and mine has stayed the same since the beginning. Id rather keep Hornets than get some crazy nickname for the sake of just having it changed. I've had season tickets since 2006. I've earned my opinion and I don't need a name/Shinn cleanse to support the team. Yes if they can find a nice New Orleans name I would love it, but it's not a deal breaker for me.

The color scheme and unis could save the name "Pelicans". I understand Tom wants something of meaning for the name and "Pelicans" fits that. It will just take some getting used to that's all. I just hope the logo, color scheme and unis are on point.

$5 says they'll be black and gold... everything else about the new organization is Saint-ish.

Quote Originally Posted by 504fan View Post
    Everyone is entitled to their opinion and mine has stayed the same since the beginning. Id rather keep Hornets than get some crazy nickname for the sake of just having it changed. I've had season tickets since 2006. I've earned my opinion and I don't need a name/Shinn cleanse to support the team. Yes if they can find a nice New Orleans name I would love it, but it's not a deal breaker for me.
    Benson isn't considering changing it just for the sake of changing it though. He actually has a reason behind it. To make it more "Louisiana". Like you, I don't need a name change to support the team either and I think it's funny when I read people say "Oh I don't know if I can watch a team named ______". What? Seriously?

Max Contract Contributor AD23forMVP's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HunnyB View Post
    Benson isn't considering changing it just for the sake of changing it though. He actually has a reason behind it. To make it more "Louisiana". Like you, I don't need a name change to support the team either and I think it's funny when I read people say "Oh I don't know if I can watch a team named ______". What? Seriously?
    Same goes for certain people who didn't watch or support because they were the Hornets with "Creole Blue." It's childish.

On a permanent Holiday! Purple Haze's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MyLanta View Post

If we become the Pelicans my buddies are gonna send me memes with our mascot covered in crude every time we lose. Come on man we gotta have a say in this.
    Your buddies sound pretty lame. Crude, really?
    Wherehappens.

Rumor: "Pelicans" the current front runner for new name?

I was speaking more to the people who stated in the past that they need a name change to support the team. If benson want to change it I'm fine, but I don't like pelicans.

Quote Originally Posted by 504fan View Post
    I was speaking more to the people who stated in the past that they need a name change to support the team. If benson want to change it I'm fine, but I don't like pelicans.
    LOL! I hear you. As much name change talk as we've had here on these forums, I don't think I've ever decided or came to conclusions on the ones I like or don't like. I'm not even sure how I feel about Pelicans.

Quote Originally Posted by MyLanta View Post
    So why are we not going with Brass? Just cuz some guy out there still owns the naming rights from the old hockey team? Is this about money?!? It's a no brainer as a name along with the jersey mods BigDub did. Would it be possible to start a movement for the fans to have a say in the team naming? I almost made a ton of those yellow Brass shirts last year to sell them for dirt cheap at the arena but we decided it wasn't wise with the Hornets legal lurking. (can't use hornets themes or fonts)
    Us Brass folk need to get together and plot. Big oval table, maps, holograms, fatigues, headsets. Operation "defeat the beak.". Let's do it!

Everyone complained about Angles/Cardinals, which I understood b/c they really didn't connect with the city. Now, we hear a really NOLA/Southern Louisiana and people still complain? Disappointing...I hope the folks w/ the team don't read this board anymore.
    "Times are not good here. The city is crumbling into ashes. It has been buried under taxes and frauds and maladministraions so that it has become a study for archaeologists...but it is better to live here in sackcloth and ashes than to own the whole state of Ohio."

— Lafcadio Hearn (Inventing New Orleans: Writings of Lafcadio Hearn)

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    If they read the forum, know that no team name will have 100% approval. It's not possible. I think Krewe of New Orleans is awesome. But people on Tiger Droppings lambast the name to high heaven. To each their own...

But make no mistake, Hornets has to go. Vaya con Dios, Avispón.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    Us Brass folk need to get together and plot. Big oval table, maps, holograms, fatigues, headsets. Operation "defeat the beak.". Let's do it!
    If you'll take a non-local, I'm enlisting right now.
    Old fan. Tired fan. I want to believe.

CP3 has deceitful eyes ohnosono's Avatar
    I've never been as big of a Voodoo fan as I am now. I refuse to call this team the Pelicans. At this point we might as well just name them the New Orleans, Louisiana.

Quote Originally Posted by NolaHornets23 View Post
    I've never been as big of a Voodoo fan as I am now. I refuse to call this team the Pelicans. At this point we might as well just name them the New Orleans, Louisiana.
    You don't have to call them the Pelicans. You don't have to call them anything. Just support the team if you're a fan.

You don't have to call them the Pelicans. You don't have to call them anything. Just support the team if you're a fan.
    I can't really turn that off and on, I'll root for them no matter what. Saying "New Orleans Pelicans" out loud just doesn't feel right to me.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Seems people are taking this to be absolute confirmation. It's still just rumor.

Speaking of rumor or a coincidence is the silence of Dub of late.

I wonder how long it took Washington fans to stop saying Bullets. They eventually got over it I assume.

Well after a few years you really have no other choice but to "get over it"

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    Seems people are taking this to be absolute confirmation. It's still just rumor.

Speaking of rumor or a coincidence is the silence of Dub of late.
    Last i remember reading on this site some higher ups took interest in his designs and he was instructed to keep quiet until all was said and done.
    Sooooo hopefully his silence means good things for him.

Quote Originally Posted by NolaHornets23 View Post
    Well after a few years you really have no other choice but to "get over it"
    Right.

Quote Originally Posted by WhoDatHornet View Post
    Last i remember reading on this site some higher ups took interest in his designs and he was instructed to keep quiet until all was said and done.
    Sooooo hopefully his silence means good things for him.
    And us, his designs are sweet.

I wrote this about you Mr. West's Avatar
    If BigDub's involved at all, then at the very least the logo and jerseys will be top quality.

Thread Information