Pelicans Report

Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Rumor: "Pelicans" the current front runner for new name?

Rumor: "Pelicans" the current front runner for new name?

Oh! And i reckon it would be cool to use AD's brow as the pelican wings haha

worst rebrand ever, i'd be ashamed to say i go for the pelicans

Quote Originally Posted by jdmcuc View Post
    Lol the team isnt any different with a new name. But personally i followed the team purely because it had a cool logo and Baron was goooood. Grew out of that, honestly if the team is named the Pelicans and they start winning i dont think anyone would care about the name then. And if they do care, less bandwagon fans!
    I would care--I certainly wouldn't wear a Pelican--but I wouldn't jump ship over it. I'd probably just continue to wear Hornet gear.
    Old fan. Tired fan. I want to believe.

It's all about design. Any name could be seen as stupid without it being in the context of a great design. And vice versa.

SKOL! SKOL! SKOL! SKOL! Imnos 2's Avatar
    If it does become the Pelicans, i just hope it grows on me. Not a big fan of it, but winning cures a lot of ills. For instance, when the Sonics became the Thunder, I thought the name was pretty generic and the uniforms were awful. But eventually once they started winning, it grew on you. You dont really think about it anymore. Same thing with the Grizzlies back in the day. I'm still waiting though on that to happen with the Bobcats.

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Imnos 2 View Post
    If it does become the Pelicans, i just hope it grows on me. Not a big fan of it, but winning cures a lot of ills. For instance, when the Sonics became the Thunder, I thought the name was pretty generic and the uniforms were awful. But eventually once they started winning, it grew on you. You dont really think about it anymore. Same thing with the Grizzlies back in the day. I'm still waiting though on that to happen with the Bobcats.
    This is a good point. At the time every basketball fan outside of OKC thought Thunder was the dumbest name ever.

I can already see the headlines. The Pelican'ts..

If we had to rebrand New Orleans Knights is the only one i would be comfortable with.. However I am competly against a rebrand!! Win games forget about a rebrand. Hornets brand is great!!!

I mean I'd still root for the home team no matter what but....I'm not buyin no Pelicans Jersey.....I'm sorry....its just sooooooo wack.....

Quote Originally Posted by hornetstime247 View Post
    If we had to rebrand New Orleans Knights is the only one i would be comfortable with.. However I am competly against a rebrand!! Win games forget about a rebrand. Hornets brand is great!!!
    This^

Some many fans international love the hornets brand. Including me. But most of you guys dont care about us international fans. Although no biggie if it does change

Quote Originally Posted by jdmcuc View Post
    This^

Some many fans international love the hornets brand. Including me. But most of you guys dont care about us international fans. Although no biggie if it does change
    I wouldn't say locals don't care just that we have a different set of priorities.

I don't live in NOLA anymore and all I hear people say is Charlotte Hornets, or are wearing throw back Charlotte Horents hats. Would it be great to win several titles to gain some identity ofcourse, but since rebranding doesn't impact our ability to win titles and can immediately give the team it's own identity I am all for the rebrand. So long as it's not Spirit, Angels, and to a lesser extent Pelicans.
    Last edited by da ThRONe; 10-18-2012 at 10:04 AM.

Imagine the look on this team of 25 and under players if somebody said "Yeah....we're going to be the Pelicans!!" AD, Ryno, EJ, and Rivers will look @ them like....

On a permanent Holiday! Purple Haze's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Miss_318 View Post
    Imagine the look on this team of 25 and under players if somebody said "Yeah....we're going to be the Pelicans!!" AD, Ryno, EJ, and Rivers will look @ them like....

Wherehappens.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Spaniard's Avatar
    Good god we like to complain around here.

This team is a representation of our city and state. Like it, don't like it, whatever. But accept it. A rebrand is and always was logical as the Hornets name is a representation of Charlotte.

And with that being said, Pelicans are our state bird. We're sitting here saying it can be our state bird, but hell no it can't be the name of our basketball team?

Look around every sport on every level. Thunder, Beavers, Ducks, Gamecocks, Hornets, Knickerbockers, Celtics, Clippers, Cardinals, Expos, Orioles, Eagles. I could list a thousand names here that you all would laugh at, and everyone would agree they would be much much worse than the Pelicans had they not been in existence forever. Let's be honest with ourselves here.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	finding_nemo_bruce_albatros_dentists_sydney.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	15.4 KB 
ID:	4364

Quote Originally Posted by Spaniard View Post

This team is a representation of our city and state. Like it, don't like it, whatever. But accept it. A rebrand is and always was logical as the Hornets name is a representation of Charlotte.

And with that being said, Pelicans are our state bird. We're sitting here saying it can be our state bird, but hell no it can't be the name of our basketball team?

Look around every sport on every level. Thunder, Beavers, Ducks, Gamecocks, Hornets, Knickerbockers, Celtics, Clippers, Cardinals, Expos, Orioles, Eagles. I could list a thousand names here that you all would laugh at, and everyone would agree they would be much much worse than the Pelicans had they not been in existence forever. Let's be honest with ourselves here.

I understand your point, but that does not change the fact that this name is awful (feels forced). That said i am alright with any name as long as its not the spirit, angels, fairies, mythical creatures- anything along that line really. I would not advise a rebrand unless utah let go of the jazz.... But sadly my opinion does not matter to mr. Benson

Max Contract Contributor AD23forMVP's Avatar
    Why do I get the idea that the name is irrelevant because the majority of people wouldn't like what they pick, no matter what?

Need some tissue?

Quote Originally Posted by CP3forMVP View Post
    Why do I get the idea that the name is irrelevant because the majority of people wouldn't like what they pick, no matter what?
    100% agreed. I like the Krewe. But we're not all going to get our favorite. As long as it represents the city and state, I will be happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Hornetnojersey View Post
    Need some tissue?
    I only know two ways that could be meant, and neither of which seem to apply. So little confused by that one, lol.

Slow clap would be nice though.

It is a bit funny that most of the guys on RealGM actually like it. Outsider's perspective. And everyone here hates it.

On a permanent Holiday! Purple Haze's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Smirk View Post
    It is a bit funny that most of the guys on RealGM actually like it. Outsider's perspective. And everyone here hates it.
    Not everyone.

I'm in for whatever the name changes to and believe the Pelicans is ok with the right logo and color scheme. The logo in PH's avatar is not bad.

It is funny that some will wear a "bee" but not a Pelican though...

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	210406154002pelicans_2.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	22.2 KB 
ID:	4365   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	A5W5PL2CMAAz3hY.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	48.0 KB 
ID:	4366  

If we don't like something why wouldn't we complain? I'll admit personally I think some are going over board if they are saying they won't continue to support the team. However people are well within there rights to say and feel how ever they want about a team they'll be expected to support finacially. People choose to support or not support teams for all kinds of reasons and as you can tell from all the out of market fans a lot of time they based it on the brand of the team.

Quote Originally Posted by da ThRONe View Post
    If we don't like something why wouldn't we complain? I'll admit personally I think some are going over board if they are saying they won't continue to support the team. However people are well within there rights to say and feel how ever they want about a team they'll be expected to support finacially. People choose to support or not support teams for all kinds of reasons and as you can tell from all the out of market fans a lot of time they based it on the brand of the team.
    Agreed.

And Yes Pelicans is an awful name in my opinion. I don't understand why Benson would let his rights expire if he really was choosing this name though. Much to do about nothing?

Thread Information