.
Pelicans Report
 
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 30

Thread: Coxsports video : Hornets fans on Anthony Davis

  1. #1

    Coxsports video : Hornets fans on Anthony Davis

    Check this out. Even some highlights of his game against the Bobcats....FINALLY!:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvht6XfkjNE
    "This Game is Rigged Man" - Preston "Bodie" Broadus : The Wire Season 4 EP 13

  2. #2
    I like that kid. He's got him in the HOF already. Like me, he doesn't jump the gun.

  3. #3
    Clearly, we have. LOL

  4. #4
    A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    21,345
    Throne wants to see Davis's ball handling skills. Can see them in that vid @ 1:33.
    Now I do voice overs. Finally!

    Click here for my first voice demo!

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    Throne wants to see Davis's ball handling skills. Can see them in that vid @ 1:33.
    Throne still uncertain. Thinks he still might be a scrub.

  6. #6
    Pretty cool. Mr. West's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    'Round Shreveport
    Posts
    3,520
    Thanks for the video bro. Good stuff.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    Throne wants to see Davis's ball handling skills. Can see them in that vid @ 1:33.
    Are you serious? You think that proves he can handle the ball or are you just joking? Because there was nothing special about that 0:00:50 in the video of him dribbling other than the fact that he didn't turn it over.

    LOL I saw this post and thought oh **** I may be shocked then I saw it.

  8. #8
    For...ev...er... The JNR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Mid-city
    Posts
    3,353
    I think your main qualm about his lack of dribbling ability is strange, because his dribbling ability far outshines the average PF/C. Most can't even dribble it down the open court, much less move past a defender like that.

  9. #9
    Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! wuggie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    2,553
    Dude he can handle the ball. He has crazy handles for his size. I truly believe you are just being sarcastic or one of those dudes on the web that just go against the grain for self enjoyment. Lol

    "I want ONLY 9 eyebrows in the starting lineup for the Hornets next year." I typed this before the draft lottery

  10. #10
    Oh here we go. Throne is about to get on it. 5 pages or more?

  11. #11
    All World Pelicans78's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Lake Charles, LA
    Posts
    15,752
    Quote Originally Posted by Luke's Hornets View Post
    Oh here we go. Throne is about to get on it. 5 pages or more?
    Not if we ignore him. But sometimes it is fun messing with a troll.

    Emeka Okafor - Joe Smith - Carmelo Anthony - Manu Ginobili - Jason Williams

    Al Jefferson - James Posey - Aaron McKie - Shaun Livingston

  12. #12
    A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    21,345
    Quote Originally Posted by da ThRONe View Post
    Are you serious? You think that proves he can handle the ball or are you just joking? Because there was nothing special about that 0:00:50 in the video of him dribbling other than the fact that he didn't turn it over.

    LOL I saw this post and thought oh **** I may be shocked then I saw it.
    I thought you literally meant you hadn't see him ever handle the ball. Not you've seen it, but maybe need him to look like a 6'10" Iverson or something.

    Edit: Nah. I'll be serious. You're looking or moves more inline with Durant before you say he can handle the rock, I'm guessing.
    Last edited by Eman5805; 10-16-2012 at 02:24 PM.

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    I thought you literally meant you hadn't see him ever handle the ball. Not you've seen it, but maybe need him to look like a 6'10" Iverson or something.

    Edit: Nah. I'll be serious. You're looking or moves more inline with Durant before you say he can handle the rock, I'm guessing.
    I hear "guard like handles" I expect to see him handle the ball like a guard or like you point out an above average 3.

    In another site I called his ball handling awful. I'll admit that was extreme, but when you hear multiple scouts make reference to his ball handling as a huge strength to the point some believe he can be a 3 than I do expect just that.

    Dribbling in the open court against very weak defensive effort is a far cry from beating defender 1-on-1 in a half court offense. Most basketball player can dribble the ball up the court if not pressured.

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by da ThRONe View Post
    I hear "guard like handles" I expect to see him handle the ball like a guard or like you point out an above average 3.

    In another site I called his ball handling awful. I'll admit that was extreme, but when you hear multiple scouts make reference to his ball handling as a huge strength to the point some believe he can be a 3 than I do expect just that.

    Dribbling in the open court against very weak defensive effort is a far cry from beating defender 1-on-1 in a half court offense. Most basketball player can dribble the ball up the court if not pressured.
    I think "ball-handling", in terms of breaking down his man on the perimeter in a one-on-one scenario, isn't a major skill of his; I too don't see these "guard-like handles", but I do see solid to maybe good handles for a 6'10 shot blocking specialist; however, what I think is his major advantage in iso situations vs other bigs in this league is his pure quickness; I think you would agree that that particular attribute of his lies in the upper echelon of the league in terms of bigs, and in face-up situations, I can easily envision him (with general offensive growth) using that quickness advantage to drive by/draw the foul on other bigs.

  15. #15
    Agreed and you have to figure, hes been a peremiter player for nearly all of his basketball life, so dribbling anywhere from the low post wont ever feel foreign to him as it does with big men with decent ball handling skills. Hes no Lamar Odom, but pretty impressive when you put it in perspective

  16. #16
    Fire Monty!! Contributor AD23forMVP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    13,939
    Quote Originally Posted by Hornets78 View Post
    Not if we ignore him. But sometimes it is fun messing with a troll.
    I don't even think he's a troll, just misinformed.
    PelicansReport.com Sim League
    New Orleans Hornets General Manager

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by Coughka View Post
    I think "ball-handling", in terms of breaking down his man on the perimeter in a one-on-one scenario, isn't a major skill of his; I too don't see these "guard-like handles", but I do see solid to maybe good handles for a 6'10 shot blocking specialist; however, what I think is his major advantage in iso situations vs other bigs in this league is his pure quickness; I think you would agree that that particular attribute of his lies in the upper echelon of the league in terms of bigs, and in face-up situations, I can easily envision him (with general offensive growth) using that quickness advantage to drive by/draw the foul on other bigs.
    I have commented on his quickness before. Is it possible ofcourse in if he can than he can be dangerous, but it's not easy. There's been guys equally as quick with much much better handles that can't be affective at beating the 4's in the league consistently enough to be all-time greats.

    The one thing I have learned in all my years as a basketball fan is guys don't gain much more skill by the time they are old enough to turn pro. I can't think of one player that has made the huge leap in skill I feel Davis will need to make to be Garnett or Duncan. Even though as you point out and so have I he's a far better athlete than both. But in this league skill trumps athleticism by a lot. I think far too many people are just assuming hard work equals full potential. Chandler is the prime example of a player working hard, but just being incapable of fully developing. While a guy like Cousins was late to the game of basketball and has question about his work ethics and is one of the most skilled bigs in the league right now. Some guys have it and some guys just don't and if he doesn't have it by now I say never. His only hope IMO is the late growth spurt/position change and even that seems like a suspect hope.

  18. #18
    The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    11,109
    One of the biggest things people talk about besides his blocking and dunking ability is his handles. I think anyone would say before he even plays a game in the NBA he is prob one of the best 4s or 5s dribbling the ball because of what he has already shown us. I don't have tape of every single time he has put the ball on the ground that I can show you but a person who has extensively watching Kentucky this season (solely because of AD), I think that is one of his talents that will translate most easily to the NBA.
    My Anthony Davis website: http://thebrow.uphero.com/

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by RaisingTheBrow View Post
    One of the biggest things people talk about besides his blocking and dunking ability is his handles. I think anyone would say before he even plays a game in the NBA he is prob one of the best 4s or 5s dribbling the ball because of what he has already shown us. I don't have tape of every single time he has put the ball on the ground that I can show you but a person who has extensively watching Kentucky this season (solely because of AD), I think that is one of his talents that will translate most easily to the NBA.
    I posted this in Drummond/Lillard thread but really it belongs here.

    With that said, Davis is still a fairly raw prospect in many facets offensively, giving him a considerable amount of room for growth as he continues to develop. If an opposing defense can force him to take a jump-shot, put the ball on the floor, or attempt to score in a post up situation, they have a more than three times better chance of stopping him than if he simply catches the ball in the paint in position to finish.

    That doesn't jive very well with the "he grew 8 inches in one year and used to be a point guard!" part of his narrative you often hear on national TV broadcasts, but the truth is he rarely dribbles or takes a shot outside five feet, and isn't overly successful at the moment when he does.

    From DraftExpress.com http://www.draftexpress.com#ixzz29Va95DmJ
    http://www.draftexpress.com

    This guy clearly sees what I see.

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by CP3forMVP View Post
    I don't even think he's a troll, just misinformed.
    So inform me. If he's so great at what you guy claim he is there should be multiple video you can access of him killing guys off the dribble at Kentucky, the Olympics, or preseason.





    In this video you can see every time he has to put the ball on the floor more than once he struggles and even on one bounce many times he doesn't look under control and often is off balance. Once he even falls to the floor untouched.
    Last edited by da ThRONe; 10-16-2012 at 07:02 PM.

  21. #21
    For...ev...er... The JNR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Mid-city
    Posts
    3,353
    I think that testament from DX makes sense when you consider the well-known storyline that Coach Cal didn't have the offensive scheme that let Anthony Davis do those types of things. It doesn't necessarily mean he can't do them, it means he wasn't given the green light to do them.

  22. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by The JNR View Post
    I think that testament from DX makes sense when you consider the well-known storyline that Coach Cal didn't have the offensive scheme that let Anthony Davis do those types of things. It doesn't necessarily mean he can't do them, it means he wasn't given the green light to do them.
    "but the truth is he rarely dribbles or takes a shot outside five feet, and isn't overly successful at the moment when he does" I think that says he's wasn't good at it don't know how you can read that any other way.

  23. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by da ThRONe View Post
    "but the truth is he rarely dribbles or takes a shot outside five feet, and isn't overly successful at the moment when he does" I think that says he's wasn't good at it don't know how you can read that any other way.
    Why do you have to be that guy?

  24. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by jdmcuc View Post
    Why do you have to be that guy?
    What guy is that the common sense guy.

    Would kind of guy would you like me to be? The kind that ignores the video like the one I posted or all his experience watching and playing the sport just so my fanhood isn't questioned.

  25. #25
    U-L-M...Geaux Hawks Geaux djpaul89's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Monroe, LA
    Posts
    3,181
    Quote Originally Posted by da ThRONe View Post
    "but the truth is he RARELY dribbles or takes a shot outside five feet, and isn't overly successful at the moment when he does" I think that says he's wasn't good at it don't know how you can read that any other way.
    I think the point he's making is that it's a small sample size. For what reason, more because of the system or more because he's just not good at it, it's hard to say. It's hard to draw a conclusion from a relatively small sample, and even harder when some scouts have notably said otherwise beyond game situations (from combines, practices, etc.). Just like if I were to take Davis's and-1 three from the Vegas Olympic exhibition in combination to his viral video from the Kentucky alumni game where he sinks a couple of threes in a minute or so and flat out say that he suddenly became a great three-point shooter. Ridiculous right? Right, because it's a small sample. Both should be taken with a grain of salt.

    For the record, I agree with your mentality of not crowning any draft picks, whether Davis or Draymond Green, before they've even played in an NBA season. It's one I hold consistent in all draft sports.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •